Author Topic: IM-1 Odysseus lunar lander  (Read 253064 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9310
  • Likes Given: 8060
Re: IM-1 Odysseus lunar lander
« Reply #100 on: 02/19/2024 02:25 am »
https://twitter.com/Int_Machines/status/1759363454756852044

Looking forward, Intuitive Machines expects to execute lunar orbit insertion on February 21st, with a lunar landing opportunity on the afternoon of the 22nd. We intend to stream the landing on the Intuitive Machines IM-1 Mission web page and announce the exact landing time tomorrow as Columbia Sportswear takes over the exterior of Sphere in Las Vegas, showcasing the role Omni-Heat Infinity technology is playing in the IM-1 Mission. 4/5
3:45 PM · Feb 18, 2024
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...and no, I'm not a Feline Dealer!!

Offline catdlr

« Reply #101 on: 02/19/2024 05:06 am »

Offline nzguy

• Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #102 on: 02/19/2024 09:32 am »
nzguy and cryogenicvalve,

I downloaded and slowed down (90%) the part where the camera pictures are displayed.  There are quite a few images from the three different views.  The Slow-Motion part starts at 1:00 in the video.

Thanks for that!

Watching it again you can definitely sense the rotation they mentioned on the long axis before they fixed the star tracker.

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1004
« Reply #103 on: 02/19/2024 05:54 pm »
As sdsds mentioned coming up a few posts ago, IM-1 is now past the lunar distance.

For anybody interested, I've thrown together a quick script to show the current-ish location of IM-1 by basically playing back that orbit animation seen upthread in real time. Right now it updates every two hours.

The Astronomy Live video calculates orbital parameters for IM-1 that are very different from what Horizons shows, but I'm currently assuming those discrepancies are due to the small number of data points used, as the Bochum Observatory range data continues to match Horizons closely.

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
« Reply #104 on: 02/19/2024 09:37 pm »
JPL Horizons has been updated with new data.

The new filename is interesting: IM1-DRM7.2.5_TCM1-LOI_100x100_withKXOD3

The (I assume outdated) incorrect parking orbit information in the background section has been fixed. Always a good thing.

The trajectory background details also had this new information:

SPACECRAFT TRAJECTORY:
  Post-launch trajectory from Lunar Node-1 experiment on-board IM-1 via DSN/SPS

The notional maneuver times mentioned upthread moved a bit but are approximately the same.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2024 09:41 pm by theinternetftw »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1566
  • Likes Given: 1753
« Reply #105 on: 02/19/2024 10:55 pm »
Quote from: Intuitive Machines tweet above
We intend to stream the landing on the Intuitive Machines IM-1 Mission web page and announce the exact landing time tomorrow [Monday Feb 19th] as Columbia Sportswear takes over the exterior of Sphere in Las Vegas, showcasing the role Omni-Heat Infinity technology is playing in the IM-1 Mission.

There's been no such announcement from IM yet, so I wonder if they're waiting for nightfall for Columbia to take over the Sphere and then announcing.  Here's a live camera I found -- nothing yet.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2024 10:55 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2059
  • Likes Given: 1972
« Reply #106 on: 02/19/2024 10:55 pm »
https://www.intuitivemachines.com/_files/ugd/7c27f7_ef85f351ed5f44f19e312b145fb671b8.pdf

Flight controllers received and analyzed data from the February 16th engine Commissioning
Maneuver (CM). Data from the 21-second full-thrust mainstage engine CM confirmed Odysseus
hit its 21 m/s target with approximately 0.8 m/s accuracy.
[...]
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline catdlr

« Reply #107 on: 02/19/2024 11:23 pm »
This post includes a GIF

https://twitter.com/Int_Machines/status/1759725847575937330

Flight controllers received and analyzed data from the February 16th engine Commissioning Maneuver (CM). Data from the 21-second full-thrust mainstage engine CM confirmed Odysseus hit its 21 m/s target with approximately 0.8 m/s accuracy. The GIF below was created from images taken while the lander maneuvered to CM burn attitude. 🧵(19FEB2024 1745 CST) 1/5

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
« Reply #108 on: 02/20/2024 12:05 am »
There's a bit more in the pdf version. The highlights: TCM1 was completed yesterday, the text suggests only one more TCM is required, and "flight controllers completed all NASA and commercial transit payload operations this morning."

(Edit: I tried to attach the gif mentioned above, but the forum software didn't like it, so it's attached as an mp4 instead. Which also made the file 20x smaller, so, bonus.)

Flight controllers received and analyzed data from the February 16th engine Commissioning
Maneuver (CM). Data from the 21-second full-thrust mainstage engine CM confirmed Odysseus
hit its 21 m/s target with approximately 0.8 m/s accuracy. The GIF below was created from
images taken while the lander maneuvered to CM burn attitude. Propulsion mixture ratios,
mass flow rate, and temperature were as predicted. Overall, Intuitive Machines characterizes
the execution of the CM as nominal and per expectations.

On February 18th, flight controllers commanded the lander’s first planned trajectory correction
maneuver, igniting the lander’s engine for the second time, and are planning the anticipated
final required maneuver before Odysseus’ largest challenge to date, lunar orbit insertion,
which is expected on Wednesday, February 21st.

In addition, flight controllers completed all NASA and commercial transit payload operations
this morning.

Odysseus continues to be in excellent health, and flight controllers are analyzing and managing
the lander’s thermal conditioning for critical systems and payloads with a combination of
heater power and attitude control to maximize efficiency.

We expect to continue to provide mission updates at least once a day on X and the IM-1 Mission
web page, where we intend to host a live stream for landing coverage.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2024 12:09 am by theinternetftw »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #109 on: 02/20/2024 12:20 am »
There's a bit more in the pdf version. The highlights: TCM1 was completed yesterday, the text suggests only one more TCM is required, and "flight controllers completed all NASA and commercial transit payload operations this morning."

(Edit: I tried to attach the gif mentioned above, but the forum software didn't like it, so it's attached as an mp4 instead. Which also made the file 20x smaller, so, bonus.)

Thanks for the info theinternetftw.  It's getting exciting.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2024 12:20 am by catdlr »

Offline sdsds

• Seattle
« Reply #110 on: 02/20/2024 02:04 am »
More twiddling with Horizons data shows when IM-1 enters the lunar sphere-of-influence (using a radius of 6.43E+04 km):

Date__(UT)__HR:MN                delta      deldot
 2024-Feb-20 21:00     6.5628201302E+04  -0.8982841
 2024-Feb-20 21:30     6.4009075595E+04  -0.9008848
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #111 on: 02/20/2024 02:06 am »
https://twitter.com/int_machines/status/1759775095889756420

The IM-1 mission to land on the Moon has triumphed over numerous challenges, showcasing exceptional resilience, innovation, and teamwork.

Intuitive Machines expects to land on the Moon at 1649 CST on Thursday, February 22nd.

=22:49 UTC
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline nzguy

• Liked: 188
« Reply #112 on: 02/20/2024 02:15 am »
We intend to stream the landing on the Intuitive Machines IM-1 Mission web page and announce the exact landing time tomorrow [Monday Feb 19th] as Columbia Sportswear takes over the exterior of Sphere in Las Vegas, showcasing the role Omni-Heat Infinity technology is playing in the IM-1 Mission.

There's been no such announcement from IM yet, so I wonder if they're waiting for nightfall for Columbia to take over the Sphere and then announcing.  Here's a live camera I found -- nothing yet.

Right at the top of the hour on the live stream the Columbia/IM-1 ad played. No idea how to share a link to a specific time on live streams so you just need to seek back.

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1099
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #113 on: 02/20/2024 03:53 am »
This is probably written somewhere on this forum but I was wondering how this lander is keeping the propellant cold? Or is it not that cold and at super high pressure? Is there some information on how they're managing prop temp and pressure?

Offline sdsds

• Seattle
« Reply #114 on: 02/20/2024 04:07 am »
This is probably written somewhere on this forum but I was wondering how this lander is keeping the propellant cold? Or is it not that cold and at super high pressure? Is there some information on how they're managing prop temp and pressure?

Presume they're tolerating boil-off having loaded excess LCH4 for the purpose.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 2230
« Reply #115 on: 02/20/2024 04:30 am »

Presume they're tolerating boil-off having loaded excess LCH4 for the purpose.

Liquid oxygen is colder than liquid methane so they're probably tolerating some liquid oxygen boil-off too.

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1426
« Reply #116 on: 02/20/2024 06:54 am »
Do we have a time and distance for the apogee?  I haven't noticed it but might have missed it.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #117 on: 02/20/2024 09:03 am »
Nice 3D visualization of the trajectory to immediately understand the S/C is not just loitering at apogee of its VHEO approximately in front of the Moon, waiting for it to pass by - but actually approaching from below! I guess this should be obvious given the target inclination of 27º (vs 5º for the Moon's), but I didn't appreciate it until now.

https://twitter.com/AstrogatorWest/status/1759693889206665627
-DaviD-

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1566
  • Likes Given: 1753
« Reply #118 on: 02/20/2024 02:42 pm »

Columbia did run their promo on the Sphere last night.  As I type this, you can see it at the beginning of the 12-hour buffer of the live stream above.  It was a 1m25s piece that run (interspersed with other material) for about three hours, so maybe someone here can grab it before it expires out at ~1800 UTC.  It contained imagery of the lander and the moon's surface.

EDIT: thanks Tony.  Does anyone here have screen recording capability?
« Last Edit: 02/20/2024 04:09 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline catdlr

« Reply #119 on: 02/20/2024 03:05 pm »

Columbia did run their promo on the Sphere last night.  As I type this, you can see it at the beginning of the 12-hour buffer of the live stream above.  It was a 1m25s piece that run (interspersed with other material) for about three hours, so maybe someone here can grab it before it expires out at ~1800 UTC.  It contained imagery of the lander and the moon's surface.

I only saw the 30s version, as for the live stream I can't download the current live stream unless the video is stopped and released. 

« Last Edit: 02/20/2024 03:14 pm by catdlr »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography