Author Topic: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile  (Read 36876 times)

Offline JLicklider

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile
« Reply #40 on: 05/31/2009 03:39 am »
I had the same problem. Just clear your cache, cookies etc. And then it goes back to the mobile version.
"Put 'Lucky' on my tombstone, but not too soon." -Michael Collins

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #41 on: 05/31/2009 03:40 am »
Ok Thanks :D
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #42 on: 06/01/2009 02:29 pm »
When I'm on my Touch in Classic NSF, there's an "iPhone" link at the very right of the light blue line at the top of the page, the one that starts with "Forum Home".
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline RandyH

• Northern California, USA
« Reply #43 on: 06/04/2009 12:15 am »
Looking very good on an iPod Touch with 2.2.1 firmware. Page loads in iPhone mode are very snappy, looks nice in landscape mode.

I imagine we'll get to test the 3.0 firmware next week, as Apple has announcements planned for early next week, and 3.0's apparently been in beta for a while.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #44 on: 06/04/2009 03:05 pm »
Good so far. I'd echo what others have said about disabling avatars to save space/ get more text in screen. Getting rid of the grey boarder and using edge to edge text( like the BBC site) would be welcome.     

Offline mark147

« Reply #45 on: 06/06/2009 07:41 pm »
I see the avatars have gone. That works.

Please don't ditch the grey border though -without that it wouldn't look like an iPhone interface.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #46 on: 06/06/2009 10:43 pm »
I would like to see a way to jump to the point in the thread that I last read or the ability to go to the last page in a thread, whereupon I can back track.  If there is a way to avoid going through the entire thread everytime, I have missed it.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #47 on: 06/07/2009 02:51 am »
I would like to see a way to jump to the point in the thread that I last read or the ability to go to the last page in a thread, whereupon I can back track.  If there is a way to avoid going through the entire thread everytime, I have missed it.

threads with new posts have a blue button that says 'New' on it which leads to the latest unread post

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #48 on: 06/07/2009 01:02 pm »
Thanks.  SOmehow, I failed to notice that button.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
« Reply #49 on: 06/08/2009 02:55 am »
Is there a way when hitting the "Topics" or "Home" button to make it go back to the point on that higher-level page where I was? It would be the same as hitting the back button, but the thread(s) would be marked as read.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: 06/08/2009 06:42 am »
Er, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but sometimes it will say "page 1 of 2" but if you click Next it shows you page 1 still.

Offline AGC

• Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) Display-Keyboard
  • Ohio
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: 06/13/2009 02:19 pm »
Thanks for the iPhone version! Simple and uncluttered. All I miss (and as one somewhat new to NSF, seem to need) is the acronym tag. I find I use it a lot.

I'm not sure the best way to implement that for Safari iPhone short of an option button on the page to expand/collapse acronyms. When expanded, "NASA" might get displayed as "NASA[National Aeronautics and Space Administration]".  Long, I know.  But, I'd appreciate having the option. Might be doable with one RegEx command to replace the <acronym> tags. Just a thought.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #52 on: 06/13/2009 07:10 pm »
Unfortunately no launch today but it gave me some time to update the iPhone theme.

Changes :

* Page navigation now work properly (no more 'hidden' pages)
* On topics with at least 3 pages, there's a new Jump To Page button (on top of the page) which allows you to quickly skip to the page you want using the 'spinning wheel' functionality iPhone users are familiar with
* Back button (when on topic level) now works as normal. Instead of just skipping back one page, it reload the forum page so topic read/unread status is updated properly.
* Added a nice little Apple Home screen icon to add the NSF forum to your springboard. Browse to the forums index page on your iPhone and click the '+' button on the bottom of your screen. Choose 'Add to Home Screen' et voila ;)

To-do/Wishlist:

* Acronyms on iphone (need to work out a way to display this nicely). Safari on the iPhone doesn't support tooltips like a normal browser.
* Some sort of 'Unread messages/posts' functionality
* Add the ability to alter the number of posts which are visible per page -- and include the option to "show all"

Problems or Ideas?

Just reply in this thread :)

« Last Edit: 06/13/2009 07:12 pm by NSF Webmaster »

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #53 on: 06/15/2009 07:06 am »
* Added a nice little Apple Home screen icon to add the NSF forum to your springboard. Browse to the forums index page on your iPhone and click the '+' button on the bottom of your screen. Choose 'Add to Home Screen' et voila ;)

This is a favourite feature of mine on the iPhone, so thanks for this. I am really impressed with how the site is running

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
« Reply #54 on: 06/17/2009 05:26 am »
When I try to send a PM on the iPhone version, I usually click on the person's name, then at the bottom of their profile, I click Send PM.  However, when the PM screen comes up, the "To" field is blank.

Bug or user error? ;)

Offline MP99

Looks good on the HTC that I tried - what's the issue with your Jim?

I've been using the standard mobile version (text only) on my iPAQ for quite a while now... no issues.

I'm jealous!

I'm using a Sony Xperia X1 with WinMo 6.1 & Opera, and I don't seem to be able to get to a "mobile" version of NSF at all.

Apparently, this phone is configured to appear to servers as a desktop machine instead of mobile device, so I don't know if there's something that's not being triggered.

Is there a specific address I can go to, or option I can tick, to get a mobile optimised version on my phone?

Thanks for any help.

cheers, Martin

Edit: PS I can also use IE on this phone if there's a better version for that instead of Opera.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2009 09:54 am by MP99 »

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #56 on: 07/09/2009 03:02 pm »
* On topics with at least 3 pages, there's a new Jump To Page button (on top of the page) which allows you to quickly skip to the page you want using the 'spinning wheel' functionality iPhone users are familiar with

I can't seem to get the spinning wheel thingy to work.  I'm using an iPod Touch with OS3.0.  The page appears with the wheels, but they won't spin.

Is there some trick to it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Recovering astronomer

Offline mark147

« Reply #57 on: 07/09/2009 06:55 pm »
I have one quick one for the wish list.

At the bottom of page when viewing a thread, there's a link to the "Simple Machines" web site that's perilously close to the NEXT button.  I find I frequently miss just slightly and get sent off somewhere I don't want to go.

Can you either remove the link or put a new line in the footer somewhere so that the link is kept further away from the NEXT button?

Maybe my thumbs are too big!

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #58 on: 07/09/2009 08:00 pm »

I can't seem to get the spinning wheel thingy to work.  I'm using an iPod Touch with OS3.0.  The page appears with the wheels, but they won't spin.

That was related to the 3.0 iPhone software and is fixed now.

At the bottom of page when viewing a thread, there's a link to the "Simple Machines" web site that's perilously close to the NEXT button.  I find I frequently miss just slightly and get sent off somewhere I don't want to go.

I increased the spacing a little, let me know if this is enough.

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #59 on: 07/10/2009 03:07 am »

That was related to the 3.0 iPhone software and is fixed now.

It is indeed fixed.  Thank you very much! 

Jeff
Recovering astronomer

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography