Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 300624 times)

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #280 on: 10/13/2015 12:39 pm »
A few spy pictures from there: https://www.flickr.com/photos/71660327@N05/sets/72157659486448822

Quite a noticeable change from last June...

Okay, being as this is NSF, and the NSF video reconstruction army has been short of work lately, who is going to put together a gif of the two images, with annotated frame-by-frame analysis of the changes?   ;)
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline dmc6960

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #281 on: 10/14/2015 07:28 pm »
A few spy pictures from there: https://www.flickr.com/photos/71660327@N05/sets/72157659486448822

Okay, being as this is NSF, and the NSF video reconstruction army has been short of work lately, who is going to put together a gif of the two images, with annotated frame-by-frame analysis of the changes?   ;)

There are no major changes.  The two photos are from different angles.
-Jim

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #282 on: 10/14/2015 09:03 pm »
I was noting the two new large tanks to the left of the Merlin test stand, and the facilities for the new booster test stand between the Merlin stand and the tanks on the right in the background, and that they apparently have removed a number of trees. Not "major," but certainly "noticeable" as I put it.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 800
« Reply #283 on: 10/15/2015 09:02 am »

Just for your reference I took the majority of those pictures from the South gate = right orange dot on the map and the final seven photos were taken from the bend of 311 = left orange dot.
« Last Edit: 10/15/2015 09:08 am by pospa »

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #284 on: 10/16/2015 03:17 am »
feels like im playing that game in first grade, find the differences

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1304
« Reply #285 on: 10/21/2015 04:48 am »
 Somehow, I've managed to neglect to find McGregor on a map all these years. Now, sitting in a hotel room in Waco, I find out it's about 12 miles away. I guess I'll need to go poke around tomorrow. If I'm caught, I'll just tell them I'm from Reddit.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #286 on: 10/21/2015 04:56 am »
Somehow, I've managed to neglect to find McGregor on a map all these years. Now, sitting in a hotel room in Waco, I find out it's about 12 miles away. I guess I'll need to go poke around tomorrow. If I'm caught, I'll just tell them I'm from Reddit.

From one post up, I thought you're already lounging at your beach front property with a Margarita at hand...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline rpapo

That's a fair drive, according to Google Maps.  It estimated nearly seven hours to drive from Boca Chica to McGregor, and since I've seen first-hand that Google Maps underestimates things, I would probably guess it was really eight to nine hours driving.  Texas is a big place.

Unless you can get JimNTexas to fly you up...
« Last Edit: 10/21/2015 10:29 am by rpapo »
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #288 on: 10/21/2015 02:28 pm »

I'll be interested to hear if the Atria hotel is still cheekily touting itself as the "Best Hotel in McGregor" on the sign out front. It's technically true, since they're the only hotel in McGregor.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #289 on: 10/22/2015 01:54 am »
 Well, it was kind of hazy and half way through my circumnavigation of the site, something came up that's calling me to Michigan. But I did get one fair shot.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2015 01:39 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #290 on: 10/22/2015 06:05 am »

After the newspaper article and this site, they probably already have a file on you!  Hopefully, it says something like "harmless rocket-spotter"!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Beittil

After the newspaper article and this site, they probably already have a file on you!  Hopefully, it says something like "harmless rocket-spotter"!
Since his house buying stint it probably has been revised to 'mostly harmless rocket-spotter' ;)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #292 on: 10/22/2015 11:04 am »
Well, it was kind of hazy and half way trough my circumnavigation of the site, something came up that's calling me to Michigan. But I did get one fair shot.

Is that the OG-2 core or is it F9r vehicle 2?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #293 on: 10/22/2015 01:13 pm »
Well, it was kind of hazy and half way trough my circumnavigation of the site, something came up that's calling me to Michigan. But I did get one fair shot.

The F9R wouldn't have the interstage, would it?

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #294 on: 10/22/2015 02:38 pm »

The F9R wouldn't have the interstage, would it?
In fact it would since the interstage is home to the grid fins and associated hardware.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #295 on: 10/22/2015 02:48 pm »
Interesting... they seem to have put guy lines to the top of the rocket. Has anyone seen them do that before?  I don't recall seeing lines on the last batch of test-stand photos, and when F9R-Dev1 was up on blocks out at the test pad, it was just sitting there, occasionally with the crane hooked to it and nothing else. I expect they'd want to reduce the loads on the mounting hardware in the test stand. Maybe it was shimmying a bit in the wind while they were working to install the engines?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #296 on: 10/22/2015 03:47 pm »
Interesting... they seem to have put guy lines to the top of the rocket. Has anyone seen them do that before?  I don't recall seeing lines on the last batch of test-stand photos, and when F9R-Dev1 was up on blocks out at the test pad, it was just sitting there, occasionally with the crane hooked to it and nothing else. I expect they'd want to reduce the loads on the mounting hardware in the test stand. Maybe it was shimmying a bit in the wind while they were working to install the engines?

Yes, the 4 lines were there in the night time video of the first FT test. If you look VERY carefully at 1080p quality, you can see one of the lines (to the left of the rocket near the light):
« Last Edit: 10/22/2015 03:50 pm by Lars-J »

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #297 on: 10/22/2015 04:06 pm »

Is there actually going to be an F9R vehicle 2? I thought the plan now was to re-fly successfully recovered stages in New Mexico.
Douglas Clark

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #298 on: 10/22/2015 04:43 pm »

Is there actually going to be an F9R vehicle 2? I thought the plan now was to re-fly successfully recovered stages in New Mexico.
My recollection is that you are correct, and the core that was slated to become the F9r Dev2 vehicle was re-purposed to be the in-flight abort core, and was last seen conducting tanking tests at SLC-4.

Offline itzdanielp

• California
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #299 on: 10/22/2015 05:23 pm »

My recollection is that you are correct, and the core that was slated to become the F9r Dev2 vehicle was re-purposed to be the in-flight abort core, and was last seen conducting tanking tests at SLC-4.

That's what I seem to recall as well.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography