Author Topic: SpaceX Washington Facilities  (Read 28966 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: SpaceX Washington Facilities
« Reply #20 on: 10/26/2018 04:32 pm »
We all should always honor requests like that, it makes it better for everyone if SpaceX fans don't get the 'foamer" reputation that some railfans got ...  stay out of parking lots and private property unless invited.

Emphasis mine.

You might wanna parse that in plain English for us ignoramuses from accross the big pond?

In the UK that would be the more obsessive Train Spotters who trespass on to the railway tracks to get photos of locomotives etc. making a complete nuisance of them selves.
Anoraks, I heard.

Foamer has a somewhat different connotation, it also carries a bit of "very annoying to talk to because they gush about stuff that's a boring part of our daily job" and it's an appellation the railroaders give us, not one the general public does.

But that's a bit off topic. sorry.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #21 on: 10/29/2018 12:01 am »
SpaceX at 22908 NE Alder Crest Drive, Redmond, Washington
Ground-level photos
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #22 on: 10/29/2018 12:07 am »
SpaceX at 22908 NE Alder Crest Drive, Redmond, Washington
Ground-level photos, group 2

« Last Edit: 10/29/2018 12:14 am by Llian Rhydderch »
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #23 on: 10/29/2018 12:17 am »
Triumph Aerospace building, 22922 NE Alder Crest Drive, Redmond, Washington.

Offline Inoeth

« Reply #24 on: 10/29/2018 05:49 am »
Thanks for the photos.... Does anyone know the (approx) size (sq foot) difference between their old facility and this one.... Is this still mostly office and design and perhaps prototype building or is this big enough for them to build out the actual production line for their thousands of satellites? if not, where would they build said satellite factory?

Offline 2megs

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #25 on: 10/29/2018 09:21 am »
Looking at commercial property listings, square footage is only slightly larger: 39,000 (new) vs 36,000 (old).

Looking at Google Maps aerial view, the ground footprint is substantially bigger at the new place, and there are far fewer windows.

That suggests fewer floors with higher ceilings. More light industrial/warehouse space and less cubical farm.

And that suggests that they're going to build *something* there, but may not have as many desk workers on-site as originally envisioned (consistent with the vanishing job reqs).

Is it big enough to build satellites by the thousands? My total guess is no, but your guess is as good as mine. It would depend on how long and deep the assembly line is, how many stations, how many in-progress at the same time, etc.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #26 on: 10/31/2018 04:50 am »
The new SpaceX Redmond facilities seems to be about three buildings.  And they span both sides of the Triumph building.

At the first building (22908 NE Alder Crest Dr), following a sign, and instructions, to get to shipping and receiving, I went across the entire Triumph parking lot to get to a couple other SpaceX buildings, also on Alder Crest Drive.

... then I got chased away by a polite guy wearing dark clothes with a radio mic on his sweater.   :o
He suggested pictures were not allowed.    :-X

We all should always honor requests like that, it makes it better for everyone if SpaceX fans don't get the 'foamer" reputation that some railfans got ...  stay out of parking lots and private property unless invited.

That said, if on public property, pictures are allowed.

Glad you figured out how to attach things.

Also, this move probably was disruptive to their operations but better sooner than later... AND it means that the somewhat panicked posts (about empty parking lots on weekdays) earlier were false alarms, thankfully.

Good sleuthing.

There's a sidewalk next to the building. Depending on local laws the easement in between the sidewalk and the road is public property, so if you stand there a picture should be fine.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #27 on: 11/01/2018 03:12 am »
Looking at the photos Ludus added:

my take is that SpaceX now has the first and the third and the fourth buildings leased, counting from left.  Triumph Aerospace has the lease on the second building.

The first building alone would seem to offer more development space than they had at their previous location, prior to the move in August.  The other two buildings, the ones I called third and fourth, would seem to support a thesis that they are for manufacturing and testing lots of sats, not merely designing and design testing them. 

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #28 on: 08/06/2020 02:20 am »
Other business took me to that area today and I went past for a look. Not much to report other than a sign at the recreation area across the street indicating SpaceX might sometimes be filling their own car parking area.
Also  of note, there's a construction project underway in an adjacent region. No reason to think it's related to SpaceX though.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline jackvancouver

• Video Tech expert
  • Vancouver, Canada
    • Vimeo channel
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #29 on: 07/27/2022 09:21 am »
Sorry for the bump, but I was browsing Google Maps the other day looking at street view... when I noticed a Street View Panorama right at the SpaceX Redmond building...

This is a panorama on top of V1 Dishy, with the cable going into the building:

https://goo.gl/maps/CAkTpiP7WxQm5VN67

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 595
« Reply #30 on: 07/28/2022 04:26 am »
I haven’t gotten any new pictures but I drive by here frequently and there is a whole new black and white building with a SpaceX logo on it close by the original brick building that still has a SpaceX logo on it. I’ll try to get a photo when I get back home.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography