Author Topic: ITS Development Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 327360 times)

Offline Herbie

• Virginia
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ITS Development Updates and Discussion Thread
« Reply #320 on: 10/28/2016 01:26 am »
Privacy and space available. I believe giving each individual a space at least similar to a japanese capsule hotel will be very efficient. People will sleep there and they will spend a significant part of their day there. Freeing up communal space for the 1/3 that are out there at any given time.

On submarines people sleep or they are on station. On transfer to Mars they won't havea stations to attend.
I think they will be extremely busy. If I were heading to Mars, I'd be studying everything! By the time I reached Mars, I would be able to take apart, clean, repair, and reassemble the ECLSS. Same for the space suit and Mars suits, and any other system that might be key to survival. Building, tunneling, farming, etc. In fact, the transit would be similar to life on a submarine, eating, sleeping, studying, relaxing, and the possibility that passengers will have duties on ship.

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #321 on: 10/28/2016 02:24 am »
You can't sleep for 8 hours, then work for 16. Studies have shown that even 8 hour workdays are potentially less efficient over time than 6 hour ones, because the human brain has trouble focusing on tasks for so long.

You're going to need to kill a lot of time one way or another, in a way that isn't too mentally taxing (i.e. not study or work).

Offline Herbie

• Virginia
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #322 on: 10/28/2016 03:55 am »
You can't sleep for 8 hours, then work for 16. Studies have shown that even 8 hour workdays are potentially less efficient over time than 6 hour ones, because the human brain has trouble focusing on tasks for so long.

You're going to need to kill a lot of time one way or another, in a way that isn't too mentally taxing (i.e. not study or work).
IIRC, submarines are on an 18 hour "day"  (6 on, 6 off, and 6 asleep, although the ordering may be different, and important) The off period was used for both relaxation and study. Much if the study time was devoted to systems on the sub, especially for the officers.

I suspect that most of the initial colonists will be naturally inclined towards learning.

Who is going to want to ship out to Mars along with a ship-load of full-time gamers? Unless they are practicing remote-control of Mars droids, they'll be useless when you reach your new home.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2329
  • Likes Given: 2856
« Reply #323 on: 10/28/2016 07:45 am »
I suspect that most of the initial colonists will be naturally inclined towards learning.

A strong argument in favor of a small private space. Perfectly suited for learning as well as watching movies, playing games, reading........

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #324 on: 10/29/2016 12:45 am »
People will need a private space - I've seen mentioned that interpersonal conflicts are the highest stressor for both long duration space flight and antarctic overwintering. Sure, early pioneers managed all bunched together but remember that there are plenty of examples of even high functioning and stable people losing it and even killing each other (don't play chess :( ).

Well, not with each other. Postal chess with someone on Earth will probably be OK! :)

Interpersonal conflicts, even if only at the level of personality clashes, are an argument for ensuring that there is more than one communal space on the ITS (and any Mars base or colony). You don't want to find that someone is really irritating you and then realise you've nowhere to get away from them other than your private - and lonely - space.

I'd also suggest that if thought was given to including a big screen for communal viewing purposes that there be more than one of them in separate spaces. Back at the dawn of civilisation when I was a student, I remember the sometime vicious infighting over what channel would be on in the student hall of residence TV room; even though the Students Union building had TV rooms for each channel - all three of them - and was less than five minutes away (people didn't see why they had to walk every week!).

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 18748
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #325 on: 11/05/2016 10:25 am »

Trucks?  Take it back to the LOX plant.

Rent the LOX for the test; pay for any LOX used and transportation/handling/overhead costs to the LOX producer as negotiated as part of the deal; return the rest back into the supply system to be sold as LOX as usual; cleaned/refined if necessary.

Not feasible.  Nobody will take the LOX back. 
a.  Its quality is unknown.  Don't know what contaminates are in it.
b.  There is likely no way to put in back into the LOX plant
c.  "cleaned/refined" would be by letting it vaporize

Offline Flying Beaver

« Reply #326 on: 11/11/2016 10:24 pm »
Test tank sighted! From Reddit user "Death_Cog_Unit"

"Hey guys, greetings from Anacortes, WA.
Thought you might enjoy some pictures I took. Yes, my camera is a potato.
A few years ago one of the large manufacturing buildings in our small town got bought by a bunch of strange suits, supposedly by Boeing for special projects. Extremely tight security.
Even the shipping containers outside had biometric locks on them.
But yesterday they brought this thing out and loaded it onto a barge, supposedly for "destructive testing".
Less than 24 hours later, it has already returned seemingly intact.
They could not have gone very far at all, so everybody around here is pretty curious about what they actually did.
I saw a few man-sized silver tanks that were being moved off the barge as well, which were also venting."

I had a look a marine traffic to track the tug that was pulling the barge, seems like they just went round in circles.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2016 10:25 pm by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 12125
  • Likes Given: 1337
« Reply #327 on: 11/11/2016 11:12 pm »
I just love finding out how ahead they are.

They took over the building a few years ago. Want to scroll back a few year in the forum and see how many people were still thinking the whole "Mars Thing" is just an overblown fantasy designed to keep the young engineers from noticing they are not getting paid well"?

So now fast-forward to today...  Where is development standing currently?  What does Steve Jurvetson know?

That picture/story made my day...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1176
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #328 on: 11/11/2016 11:24 pm »
Here are more photos

And video of unloading...

« Last Edit: 11/11/2016 11:27 pm by Raul »

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #329 on: 11/11/2016 11:36 pm »
To be fair, it may not have been SpaceX who took over the building, but Janicki Industries, and they may actually intend to build stuff for Boeing and others, as well, not simply wait around to build the prototype tank for the ITS.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20774
  • Likes Given: 10790
« Reply #330 on: 11/12/2016 01:24 am »
Interesting. Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/5chddp/pictures_of_the_its_lox_testing_tank_being_taken/?st=ivel7t11&sh=83c9f556

by the way, I wonder where this building is? Can we find out?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2117
  • Likes Given: 1879
« Reply #331 on: 11/12/2016 08:38 am »
I suspected the tank was nowhere near SpaceX's usual facilities.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4194
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #332 on: 11/12/2016 09:22 am »
They could have taken Rt. 20 from the Janicki shops in Sedro-Woolley to the Anacortes Marina. 23 miles. Done overnight for minimal disruption.

https://goo.gl/maps/SjwuMG3FWNF2
« Last Edit: 11/12/2016 09:31 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1176
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #333 on: 11/12/2016 12:55 pm »
It turned out that the ITS LOX tank has been built in this large building - former Pacific Marine Center.

Offline DOCinCT

« Reply #334 on: 11/12/2016 01:24 pm »
It turned out that the ITS LOX tank has been built in this large building - former Pacific Marine Center.
So, if you want to hide something, do it in plain sight.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2117
  • Likes Given: 1879
« Reply #335 on: 11/12/2016 02:29 pm »
A little bit further down the page that Raul linked, a poster named rebootyourbrainstem posted a picture they found on google of the inside of the building. It looks correct.

Matthew

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 6428
« Reply #336 on: 11/16/2016 03:44 pm »
Official confirmation of a successful pressure test:

SpaceX ‏@SpaceX   

Successfully tested the prototype Mars tank last week. Hit both of our pressure targets – next up will be full cryo testing.

8:41 AM - 16 Nov 2016

Update: Video of tank transport released on Instagram.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2016 04:21 pm by Navier–Stokes »

Online TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 281
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #337 on: 11/16/2016 05:57 pm »
Official confirmation of a successful pressure test:

SpaceX ‏@SpaceX   

Successfully tested the prototype Mars tank last week. Hit both of our pressure targets – next up will be full cryo testing.

8:41 AM - 16 Nov 2016

Update: Video of tank transport released on Instagram.

Look at the size of the crane at the end they used to lift it onto the barge. You can tell that tank must be pretty light!

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 757
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #338 on: 11/16/2016 09:18 pm »
Dazzling. There are trial components for a mars spaceship undergoing qualification testing (albeit, the final tank is going to be longer, still).

I'm.... still processing that thought... give me a while....

I wonder how much that tank swings. It's light and huge, the pictures don't truly reveal how huge - might be a bit of a sail in higher winds. I'm not foolhardy enough to be concerned that they'll actually drop the tank moving it from barge to shore however.

« Last Edit: 11/16/2016 09:18 pm by The Amazing Catstronaut »
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 12125
  • Likes Given: 1337
« Reply #339 on: 11/16/2016 10:15 pm »
Dazzling. There are trial components for a mars spaceship undergoing qualification testing (albeit, the final tank is going to be longer, still).

I'm.... still processing that thought... give me a while....

I wonder how much that tank swings. It's light and huge, the pictures don't truly reveal how huge - might be a bit of a sail in higher winds. I'm not foolhardy enough to be concerned that they'll actually drop the tank moving it from barge to shore however.

The video sure shows the size though.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography