Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424174 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
The one point I would mention re the above speculation is that Elon did say ASoG would be based at the Cape, where it's clearly needed to help with the ramped-up F9 flight rate, as well as for FH booster landings, so it will have to conform to Port Canaveral limitations on dock space, etc.

Don't know what those limiting numbers are, but they may prevent a BFR-size ASDS from operating at the Port.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
The one point I would mention re the above speculation is that Elon did say ASoG would be based at the Cape, where it's clearly needed to help with the ramped-up F9 flight rate, as well as for FH booster landings, so it will have to conform to Port Canaveral limitations on dock space, etc.

Don't know what those limiting numbers are, but they may prevent a BFR-size ASDS from operating at the Port.

Might be a good idea to look out for new berth lease announcements (or enlargement of SpaceX's existing holding) by Port Canaveral:

https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/Recent-News

EDIT:  ..but do keep in mind it may be a year or more before they need the extra parking space... so don't hold your breath.  :)
« Last Edit: 04/12/2018 04:40 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
ASoG is being custom built. What if it's  sized for BFR/S but will first be used for F9?
DM

Offline vaporcobra

ASoG is being custom built.

Is that a guess or a sourced claim?

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
ASoG is being custom built.

Is that a guess or a sourced claim?

If the below is correct then it's not likely a Marmac built by built by McDonough in Louisiana. With BFS test flights coming up, possibly ship to ship, something with LCH4/LOX storage seems in order. Sounds like a custom build.

Except they are making third one right now... :P
Do we have any more information on that (public?)

No, and it's puzzling. I've even been told by one person involved with the current ASDS ships (not a SpaceX employee)  that his group doesn't know of a third drone ship under construction and doesn't know why Elon said a third one was/is under construction.

The most likely explanation I can come up with is that the third ASDS is being built far from where the first two were built, and by a different company, possibly on the West Coast. If so, we're not likely to get any more info until Elon tweets an aerial  pic of it like he did before.
« Last Edit: 04/14/2018 09:30 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 599
ASoG is being custom built. What if it's  sized for BFR/S but will first be used for F9?

Didn't I say that?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741

Didn't I say that?

Yes, but that tree may have gotten lost in the forest of your post.  ;)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
If the below is correct then it's not likely a Marmac built by built by McDonough in Louisiana. With BFS test flights coming up, possibly ship to ship, something with LCH4/LOX storage seems in order.

Allow me to highlight what was posted only slightly up-thread:

Emphasis mine.  And to add to that, the chances of getting anything carrying a significant amount of not just LOX but LCH4 also on a single vessel into one of the busiest cruise ports in the world is not just slim.. it's non-existent.

For these reasons, if it's restricted to using Port Canaveral, it's highly unlikely ASoG will be both (a) enormous and (b) have on-board LCH4/LOX storage.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
BFS doesn’t have much wider leg stance than F9, if any wider at all. Could land it on existing ASDSes.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
BFS doesn’t have much wider leg stance than F9, if any wider at all. Could land it on existing ASDSes.

Well, yeah -- but the dry weight, notwithstanding any residual fuel in the tanks, of the BFS is gonna be several times the dry weight of a Falcon 9 first stage.

I'm not one to run the numbers, but I'd have to think there is an upper limit to the amount of mass you can slam down onto the deck of a converted barge and expect the whole thing to remain stable.  Also an upper limit to the stability of the landing on a barge with height of the center of mass of the BFS as opposed to the F9.

Just seems like the whole system would be liable to go unstable a lot more easily than the F9 first stage landed configuration, thus requiring a landing platform with a higher fraction of the total mass of the barge/spaceship system than a current ASDS can supply.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136

Well, yeah -- but the dry weight, notwithstanding any residual fuel in the tanks, of the BFS is gonna be several times the dry weight of a Falcon 9 first stage.

I'm not one to run the numbers, but I'd have to think there is an upper limit to the amount of mass you can slam down onto the deck of a converted barge and expect the whole thing to remain stable.  Also an upper limit to the stability of the landing on a barge with height of the center of mass of the BFS as opposed to the F9.

Just seems like the whole system would be liable to go unstable a lot more easily than the F9 first stage landed configuration, thus requiring a landing platform with a higher fraction of the total mass of the barge/spaceship system than a current ASDS can supply.

The mass of rocket stages, even fueled, is insignificant when compared to barges, with or without flooded tanks.
The Marmac barges have been used to float objects of several thousand tons.
The presence of tanks, like LOX and LCH4, not their mass, would be an issue, but not for stability at sea.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965

The barge is roughly 100 times heavier than a BFB. I'm pretty sure any stability issues can be mitigated.

Online Seamus

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 63
Anybody have any updates on OCISLY coming back in?

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
Anybody have any updates on OCISLY coming back in?
My current estimate is an arrival NET 8:30 AM local on Saturday.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
Now 11:15 for the arrival. They slowed down slightly over night.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81664
  • Likes Given: 36933
Both Hawk and Go Quest now showing on MarineTraffic.com, 7 to 8 NM from port doing a bit over 5 kts.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Lots of movement at the port, Dragon has relocated alongside fairing. Booster is definitely coming in soon. #SpaceXFleet #SpaceX @SpaceX @julia_bergeron @NASASpaceflight

https://twitter.com/thaerospacegeek/status/987662292635586561

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
They've stopped offshore, probably to wait for the pilot boat that appears to be headed towards them.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
#Falcon9 first stage booster from Wednesday's mission of @NASA_TESS spotted aboard #OCISLY along the horizon. Photo from Jetty Park @SpaceX @elonmusk #SpaceX

https://twitter.com/marcuscotephoto/status/987708331337961472

Edit to add: https://twitter.com/marcuscotephoto/status/987716796651327488
« Last Edit: 04/21/2018 04:11 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
~5-10 minutes out #falcon9 #ocisly #spacex @SpaceX

https://twitter.com/marcuscotephoto/status/987723451271208960

Tags: