Author Topic: Raising ISS orbit with (super) Draco thrust  (Read 12112 times)

Offline rubtest

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 25
Raising ISS orbit with (super) Draco thrust
« on: 05/28/2012 02:46 am »
first congratulation for NASA and Spacex for the nicest present
to all the space follower folk. We all dream about moon and mars ...

OK, around 2014  the last ATV mission will fly to the station.
The only orbit raising possibility for ISS stays the good old Zwezda with refueling via Progress flights.
Can the dragon with some extra fueling modifications use the draco thrusters to raise ISS orbit ?
If it makes sense  , NASA can leave maybe  a dedicated dragon ( a used one ) on nadir 2 to be used as backup  for Orbit raising.
 current thrust numbers that I have picked up :
http://www.spaceref.com/iss/elements/sm.html
 Zwezda : 2 large thrusters each 3070 N +
               2x16 130 N attitude  thrusters
 Draco    : 18 Thrusters 400 N each but I think only 4 are
                oriented for forward pushing movement
 Superdraco : 67000 N per thruster ( but probably larger fueling needs)
congratulation for NASA and especially Spacex for the nicest present
to all the believers folk

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Raising ISS orbit with (super) Draco thrust
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/2012 02:52 am »

The only orbit raising possibility for ISS stays the good old Zwezda with refueling via Progress flights.
Can the dragon with some extra fueling modifications use the draco thrusters to raise ISS orbit ?
If it makes sense  , NASA can leave maybe  a dedicated dragon ( a used one ) on nadir 2 to be used as backup  for Orbit raising.

Node 2 nadir is a crappy location for reboost, due to the large moment arm.

What's wrong with Zvezda/Progress?
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #2 on: 05/28/2012 02:54 am »

I suppose the notion that Zvezda is aging and progress has and may fail again in the future.

Sort of brings up the UCM, ICM, PDR module debate again....

3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline rubtest

« Reply #3 on: 05/28/2012 03:04 am »

yes , Nadir 2 is a poor position for massive thrust ( I think also of
thrust contamination residues problem in this port area )
Zwezda + Progress are good and reliable, but are also single point of failure for several station essential functions.
having  a dragon can provide  a Backup for orbit changes

Offline Jorge

« Reply #4 on: 05/28/2012 03:06 am »

I suppose the notion that Zvezda is aging and progress has and may fail again in the future.

Post-shuttle, ISS has been boosted to an orbit that could easily survive a Progress stand-down of at least a year, perhaps much longer. So the failure of an individual Progress is not an issue.
JRF

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: 05/28/2012 03:07 am »
Why couldn't Dragon be modified to attach where Progress does, to do the same kind of boosting using SuperDracos?

Offline Jorge

« Reply #6 on: 05/28/2012 03:11 am »
Why couldn't Dragon be modified to attach where Progress does, to do the same kind of boosting using SuperDracos?

Crew Dragon could. Would need a Russian probe-and-drogue mechanism, plus possibly additional LIDAR reflectors on the aft end of Zvezda.

Who's going to pay for it, and under what circumstance would this be cheaper than simply launching another Progress?
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #7 on: 05/28/2012 03:12 am »

There is literally no reason to do this. Dragon is designed for use with the U.S. segment modifying it for use with the Russian segment would be totally unnecessary and expensive.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #8 on: 05/28/2012 03:13 am »

Post-shuttle, ISS has been boosted to an orbit that could easily survive a Progress stand-down of at least a year, perhaps much longer. So the failure of an individual Progress is not an issue.

True but zvezda is still aging. Without progress what if its engines fail?

I guess that is the argument being put forward here anyway. I did say "the notion is" I don't agree with it myself.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #9 on: 05/28/2012 03:19 am »

That's why Zvezda has two engines. And if Zvezda has a serious propulsion failure upstream of the engines, ISS is doomed anyway since Zvezda is the sole source of CMG desaturation for attitude control.

I guess that is the argument being put forward here anyway. I did say "the notion is" I don't agree with it myself.

Fair enough.
JRF

Offline rubtest

« Reply #10 on: 05/28/2012 03:30 am »
[quote author=FinalFrontier

[/quote]

I was actually interested to hear if the thrust of the current Draco engines from a dragon can influence at all the orbit of the ISS ?
is it at all feasible from the american segment ?

all the Orbit raising vehicles till now were docked to the ZWEZDA port ( Progress , ATV) in the russian segment.

if it is somehow feasible , NASA can prepare a detailed  emergency procedure "how to do it"  in case of a need, maybe test it once.
and have a plan "B" in the hand.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #11 on: 05/28/2012 03:35 am »
Quote from: FinalFrontier

I was actually interested to hear if the thrust of the current Draco engines from a dragon can influence at all the orbit of the ISS ?
is it at all feasible from the american segment ?

It is not a matter of thrust. The shuttle performed reboost of ISS using the vernier RCS thrusters, which have about one-fourth the thrust of the Dracos.

all the Orbit raising vehicles till now were docked to the ZWEZDA port ( Progress , ATV) in the russian segment.

Not true. The shuttle did it while docked to PMA-2 on the US segment. But what they have in common is that the thrust was directed axially, though the CG of the station.

if it is somehow feasible , NASA can prepare a detailed  emergency procedure "how to do it"  in case of a need, maybe test it once.
and have a plan "B" in the hand.

It is not feasible for reboost to be performed from either of the Node 2 radial ports, either nadir or zenith. Only axial. Cargo Dragon will never berth to the axial ports, only radial. So only crew Dragon (or some other vehicle docked to the axial port) can perform reboost.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2012 03:35 am by Jorge »
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #12 on: 05/28/2012 03:43 am »
Short answer, it will never be done with a cargo dragon.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #13 on: 05/28/2012 03:54 am »
Didn't Bill Gerstenmaier say they don't need much reboost anymore? Maybe I'm misremembering that.. he was probably talking about maneuvering to avoid debris.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #14 on: 05/28/2012 04:07 am »
Didn't Bill Gerstenmaier say they don't need much reboost anymore? Maybe I'm misremembering that.. he was probably talking about maneuvering to avoid debris.

I believe he said they have needed less then expected in something like the last two years due to lessened solar drag (because of lower solar activity not including this year of course) and because ISS was raised to a higher orbit following STS retirement.

Don't have the quote on hand so, pardon the irony, "don't quote me"  :-X
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #15 on: 05/28/2012 04:09 am »

More for drag. Drag decreases exponentially with altitude. The ATV reboosts have put ISS at an altitude where drag is much lower and reboosts for altitude maintenance are much less frequent. But the debris environment is actually worse because the lack of drag causes the debris to decay more slowly, too.
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #16 on: 05/28/2012 04:23 am »

That's why Zvezda has two engines. And if Zvezda has a serious propulsion failure upstream of the engines, ISS is doomed anyway since Zvezda is the sole source of CMG desaturation for attitude control.

Fair enough.

Agreed but going to play devils advocate one more time.

Remember this? :

1. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28998876/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/shaking-space-station-rattles-nasa/#.T8L81NVSRyI

And this?

2. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/619/1

Hence, I can see why there would be a desire to have a backup to Zvezda (besides Visiting Vehicles) but that brings up the ICM/USCM ect debates again and is beyond the scope of this thread (as dragon is a visiting vehicle).
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Jorge

« Reply #17 on: 05/28/2012 04:27 am »
Hence, I can see why there would be a desire to have a backup to Zvezda (besides Visiting Vehicles) but that brings up the ICM/USCM ect debates again and is beyond the scope of this thread (as dragon is a visiting vehicle).

Right. You can posit Zvezda to be a vulnerability all you want, but you can't posit Dragon as the solution unless you intend to have one up there all the time.
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #18 on: 05/28/2012 04:33 am »

Right. You can posit Zvezda to be a vulnerability all you want, but you can't posit Dragon as the solution unless you intend to have one up there all the time.

Correct. And it won't ever be its not designed to be, its designed to be  a visiting vehicle and the only version that could preform adjustment is going to be one docked to PMA 2 and there is only one PMA 2 hence it will always be a visiting vehicle not a permanent attachment acting as control backup to the SM.

In any event it might be time to start a new thread regarding things like PDR,ICM,  USCM and node 4 or some of the other "u.s. control module" options that have been discussed over the years once again, considering this thread caused me to start thinking about long term Zvezda issues again.

« Last Edit: 05/28/2012 04:35 am by FinalFrontier »
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #19 on: 05/28/2012 04:36 am »

There is literally no reason to do this. Dragon is designed for use with the U.S. segment modifying it for use with the Russian segment would be totally unnecessary and expensive.

Well, then there should be universal docking point where anything can attach to do a station boost. Then the station can always get boosted in a pinch, if Progress or whatever else has been delayed/suspended/etc.

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #20 on: 05/28/2012 04:47 am »

Well, then there should be universal docking point where anything can attach to do a station boost. Then the station can always get boosted in a pinch, if Progress or whatever else has been delayed/suspended/etc.

Is the price of that module ( think a few hundred million ) worth the expense of " it should be there" for the small, small chance that progress fails, Zvezda is empty / disabled but the space station still intact, and no ATV is docked?

Where do you place it?
Who builds it?
Who launches it?
Who pays for it?

These are not trivial questions. Reality supersedes " it should be there" or " it would be nice to have"
Spacecraft are not legos or a computergame where you can just add a part and it'll magically work. There's physics, economics and politics involved.

There should be a Sea Dragon with a VASIMR mars cycler. That way we can get to mars, if other things don't work out. And ponies.

Offline Jorge

« Reply #21 on: 05/28/2012 04:52 am »

The thing is, you would need to define "in a pinch" and justify why the station can't just wait for Progress. This has already been discussed at length in this thread, but I will summarize one more time.

If there is a Progress stand-down, ISS is at an orbit altitude that can survive over a year. Given that Progress launches without a crew, you'd have to have a serious non-launch issue with Progress for it to stand down that long. Soyuz stand-downs, even with the risk to the crew, have lasted less long. Any issue with Progress that also affects Soyuz for that long (launch issue, Kurs issue) would doom ISS anyway since there is currently no other crew vehicle.

If there is a lengthy Progress stand-down, Zvezda can perform reboost. Zvezda can draw propellant from Zarya, and there is enough to boost ISS well above necessary (well above the capability for any current visiting vehicle to even reach it, actually). Zvezda has two engines, so ISS could still be reboosted if one fails. And if there is a serious enough Zvezda failure to affect both engines, ISS is doomed anyway due to loss of attitude control.

So you really need to define the probability of the kind of failure scenario you're proposing here, to determine if the expense of a "universal docking joint" is worth it. The way I see it, the "window" of a failure scenario that takes out all existing reboost capability without completely dooming ISS anyway is so narrow that there's no point spending a lot of money to protect against it.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2012 04:53 am by Jorge »
JRF

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #22 on: 05/28/2012 05:02 am »

Not needed never going to happen. Crew dragon will be able to conduct re-boost's (potentially) from PMA2. No need or ability to do so with cargo dragon.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
« Reply #23 on: 05/28/2012 05:04 am »

Is the price of that module ( think a few hundred million ) worth the expense of " it should be there" for the small, small chance that progress fails, Zvezda is empty / disabled but the space station still intact, and no ATV is docked?

Where do you place it?
Who builds it?
Who launches it?
Who pays for it?

These are not trivial questions. Reality supersedes " it should be there" or " it would be nice to have"
Spacecraft are not legos or a computergame where you can just add a part and it'll magically work. There's physics, economics and politics involved.

There should be a Sea Dragon with a VASIMR mars cycler. That way we can get to mars, if other things don't work out. And ponies.

You had me at Sea Dragon  ;D
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4928
  • Likes Given: 2077
« Reply #24 on: 09/11/2015 11:06 pm »

Assuming there was an issue with Zvezda/Progress, another alternative would be to carry a Super Draco and fuel as an external cargo pack inside the Dragon trunk. The booster pack would then need to be moved (by the Canadarm) to a suitable location on the ISS for firing.

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #25 on: 09/11/2015 11:53 pm »

Where do you place it?
Who builds it?
Who launches it?
Who pays for it?

The ICM is already built, mothballed. I don't think it will ever be needed now. Too late in the game to bother.
https://books.google.com/books?id=plzgglHCV10C&pg=PA116&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
« Last Edit: 09/12/2015 12:00 am by Darren_Hensley »
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #26 on: 09/12/2015 12:30 am »

Assuming there was an issue with Zvezda/Progress, another alternative would be to carry a Super Draco and fuel as an external cargo pack inside the Dragon trunk. The booster pack would then need to be moved (by the Canadarm) to a suitable location on the ISS for firing.

not really.

A.  Why does it have to be a Super Dacro or on a Dragon?
B.  How is it controlled?
c.  The only suitable locations are Zvezda aft end and Canadarm can't get there.  Or the other end, but that is only for docking.

Offline Burninate

• Liked: 360
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #27 on: 09/12/2015 06:44 am »
A single Super Draco at its lowest throttle setting would likely tear the ISS apart.  ISS reboost doesn't use anywhere near that amount of thrust, and the load paths of the fully built structure are not sufficiently resilient to take it.

The low end on thrust for ISS reboost, the amount of drag it has to fight, is in the vicinity of 250milliNewtons;  The low end on thrust from the smallest maneuvering thrusters is 500x higher IIRC.  The smallest thrusters are still more than sufficient.

from 2010 gives 0.0185m/s^2 acceleration over a 2.7m/s burn.  At the time the station weighed about 370 metric tons;  This represents ~6845N in total.  Not sure on the specifics of which thrusters were used.

Here's another burn from the ATV in 2008 at 0.0034m/s^2 acceleration over a 4.05m/s burn: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=25725 .  At the time the station weighed about 300 metric tons;  This represents  ~1014N thrust.
« Last Edit: 09/12/2015 07:32 am by Burninate »

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #28 on: 09/12/2015 10:19 am »
I believe the Shuttle RCS which was used for reboosts produce about 3800N (The verniers were about 100N)

Min thrust on a SD is apparently about 14,000 N
« Last Edit: 09/12/2015 10:22 am by litton4 »
Dave Condliffe

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4928
  • Likes Given: 2077
« Reply #29 on: 09/12/2015 12:08 pm »

not really.

A.  Why does it have to be a Super Dacro or on a Dragon?
B.  How is it controlled?
c.  The only suitable locations are Zvezda aft end and Canadarm can't get there.  Or the other end, but that is only for docking.

Thanks for your reply.

A. It doesn't have to be a Super Draco (from other replies a standard Draco or two would be sufficient for the task), but it does have to be one or the other because that's the thread topic.

B and C. My understanding is that the thrust needs to be aimed at the centre of gravity of the ISS, otherwise  rotation of the ISS will be induced. Are there existing nadir hardware mounting points near the ISS centre of gravity (in the US segment?). e.g. could existing handrail or shield attachment points and power connectors not be repurposed? Could the thruster not be controlled remotely with a suitable wireless device from the cupola?

An advantage I see with this approach is that a permanent reboost / debris avoidance capability could be made permanently available to the ISS.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #30 on: 09/12/2015 01:37 pm »

1.  Are there existing nadir hardware mounting points near the ISS centre of gravity (in the US segment?).

2.   e.g. could existing handrail or shield attachment points and power connectors not be repurposed?

3. Could the thruster not be controlled remotely with a suitable wireless device from the cupola?

1.  No, and still the wrong direction.

2.  Needs to be more robust than these would provide.  What power connectors?

3.  No, not reliable enough.  And the thruster pod would have to be continuously powered to receive signals at any time.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography