Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 8  (Read 212688 times)

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 571
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 8
« Reply #360 on: 12/17/2018 03:40 pm »
Building a control tower seems to fit. We know that is the plan for the East Coast so this could be a control tower/viewing area.

Offline CuddlyRocket

Seriously, other than a water tower, what else could it be?  A base for another tracking antenna?  It's a foundation for a structure, not a play spaceship. 

From the simulations we've seen of Super Heavy/Starship operations, including the P2P scenarios, the Starship isn't asembled onto the Super Heavy in a hanger and then transported to the launch pad. Instead, the Super Heavy is at the launch pad and the Starship is craned onto it. Also, the Starship will be fuelled while it is on top of the Super Heavy and SpaceX has no experience of refuelling at such heights. Persumably it would be advisable to practise both of these beforehand. Maybe this structure is a mount to conduct such tests to determine the best procedures?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1308
« Reply #362 on: 12/17/2018 04:06 pm »
 Ok. I'm shooting for a 380 foot control tower/water tank made to be an exact replica of the whole BFR/BFS stack.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 1179
« Reply #363 on: 12/17/2018 04:13 pm »
Ok. I'm shooting for a 380 foot control tower/water tank made to be an exact replica of the whole BFR/BFS stack.

How much and what kind of a footing did they put in for that concrete base?  Given the known issues with local soils, that'd give a solid clue about what weight and height of structure is feasible...

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1308
« Reply #364 on: 12/17/2018 04:16 pm »

How much and what kind of a footing did they put in for that concrete base?  Given the known issues with local soils, that'd give a solid clue about what weight and height of structure is feasible...
I was gone then, but the area where the control center is completely different than the pad site. Thin slabs haven't settled in 50 years, so it must be pretty stable. It does make me wonder about it being a 2,000 ton water tank though.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online tater

• NM
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #365 on: 12/17/2018 05:20 pm »
Boilerplate for a TE?

Offline rsdavis9

If this is for the starship then this thing is designed to take off from unprepared surfaces(like mars and moon).
So for a launch pad we don't need hold downs or any TEL.
Maybe a hole in the ground to divert the thrust.
So attach flexible fueling hoses.
Fuel rocket.
Remove hoses.
Start engines in staggered fashion and throttle down so you don't liftoff.
Everything working?
Throttle up.

When it is 2 stages:
Crane to put on top.
Remove crane.
Fuel both stages from common fueling ports at bottom.
Remove hoses
Fire her up.

The launch pad less 2nd stage accomplishes many things.
mars takeoff
moon takeoff
Land on drilling platform. Refuel a little. hover translate back to place you restack(not a launch pad).
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Online tater

• NM
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #367 on: 12/17/2018 05:50 pm »
You'd think that the first test article might want to have hold downs, etc, so they can do static fires or other ground testing short of a flight. The variables they want to test to start are about the vehicle, not possible landing sites in the future.

Offline Wolfram66

Or could it possibly be the Pier for the construction crane... sitting over yonder in that shed =====>

Offline aero

• Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #369 on: 12/17/2018 09:17 pm »
Well, maybe it's a mock-up of the first stage, so they can practice landing on top of it!
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4105
  • Likes Given: 2777
« Reply #370 on: 12/17/2018 10:52 pm »
Listen, Elon clearly said in his latest tweets that they were going to build the Starship of heavy steel and that the construction would be "delightfully counter-intuitive". Why can't you accept that we are witnessing the construction of the first Starship? Sometimes the best way to hide something is out in the open!

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #371 on: 12/18/2018 02:19 am »
Seriously, other than a water tower, what else could it be?  A base for another tracking antenna?  It's a foundation for a structure, not a play spaceship.
A GSE fit test structure (for the development of a “MegaTEL”).
Just to refine my statement a bit more, we’ve have seen on both coasts that SpaceX likes to build their TELs and reaction frames under large sprung structures. I seem to recall seeing a large (and potentially growing) sprung structure at BC - now where was it...

Oh yeah, right next to the ~9 meter diameter mystery structure.

Go figure

At this point, I'm leaning towards a boilerplate test article for assembling the vehicle stack outdoors, like they've shown in their preview videos for the various iterations of the architecture.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #372 on: 12/18/2018 06:08 am »
Listen, Elon clearly said in his latest tweets that they were going to build the Starship of heavy steel and that the construction would be "delightfully counter-intuitive". Why can't you accept that we are witnessing the construction of the first Starship? Sometimes the best way to hide something is out in the open!

You may be right but I thought that stuff was being built at the port of LA. Part of the starship being built at Boca Chica that’s something.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 391
« Reply #373 on: 12/18/2018 08:46 am »
« Last Edit: 12/18/2018 08:47 am by joncz »

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #374 on: 12/18/2018 08:52 am »

You may be right but I thought that stuff was being built at the port of LA. Part of the starship being built at Boca Chica that’s something.

Wow, that puts a whole different spin on the whole project. Ok, so this one is just some sort of mock up (I think it is the control tower), but could still deserve the name Starship. Yes being built of steel is "delightfully counter intuitive". Did Elon say that the "first" Starship would actually fly? Does this mean that flying Starships could still be carbon composite?
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #375 on: 12/18/2018 10:11 am »

Wow, that puts a whole different spin on the whole project. Ok, so this one is just some sort of mock up (I think it is the control tower), but could still deserve the name Starship. Yes being built of steel is "delightfully counter intuitive". Did Elon say that the "first" Starship would actually fly? Does this mean that flying Starships could still be carbon composite?

Not sure who's joking here, but last I heard, Elon hasn't mentioned anything about using steel.

In a recent tweet, he mentioned "Fairly heavy metal". Compared with composites, "Fairly heavy metal" could mean just about anything.

Offline RotoSequence

« Reply #376 on: 12/18/2018 12:05 pm »
I can't believe the posts being made on this forum right now. Right now Reddit is being more scientifically accurate. If you're going to do rampant speculation at least hold yourself to the limits of reality and physics and engineering. Otherwise you just reveal yourself to be a fool (this isn't to anyone specifically but people in general.)

1. You're not going to do fit checks against something made of concrete and welded steel thrown together. The margins are HUGE on such structure so this idea is completely dismissible.

To play the pedant, the only part that of a boilerplate that needs to be precise is the assembly interface, which could, hypothetically, be assembled to higher precision and bolted or welded into place, wherever its wanted.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2206
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #377 on: 12/18/2018 12:12 pm »
I can't believe the posts being made on this forum right now. Right now Reddit is being more scientifically accurate. If you're going to do rampant speculation at least hold yourself to the limits of reality and physics and engineering. Otherwise you just reveal yourself to be a fool (this isn't to anyone specifically but people in general.)

1. You're not going to do fit checks against something made of concrete and welded steel thrown together. The margins are HUGE on such structure so this idea is completely dismissible.

To play the pedant, the only part that of a boilerplate that needs to be precise is the assembly interface, which could, hypothetically, be assembled to higher precision and bolted or welded into place, wherever its wanted.

And why wouldn't that be done where they build the rocket?
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #378 on: 12/18/2018 12:16 pm »

4. The company building it builds water towers, it's what they do. Occam's razor thus states that this is also a water tower.

I also thought it might be a water tank, but then they cut 3 fairly large slots in the bottom.  A water tank would need holes for pipes, etc., but those large slots look like they may be for something else. 

Re-posting the picture from bocachicagal here to show what I'm talking about.

To be clear, I have no idea what it is.

Offline RotoSequence

« Reply #379 on: 12/18/2018 12:39 pm »

And why wouldn't that be done where they build the rocket?

Why not do it where they plan to test the rocket? Their first ship is going to be living in Boca Chica for flight testing, so why not other con-ops tests?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography