Author Topic: Getting a job at one of the smaller companies?  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Speedbird309597

• SoCal
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
So I currently work at company that produces a large liquid rocket engine and has extensive history of designing and manufacturing liquid rocket engines (basically all the engine examples in the rocketry textbook). It's decent, but I want to do more development work on designing a LRE so I've been applying around to some of the smaller companies like Relativity and Rocket Lab.

I got a phone interview with Relativity, which went pretty well since the role was for the exact same role/team I have right now except its for designing a new engine. I thought my experience was very relevant and probably did alright on the technical questions (although I probably was off for one or two questions). I didn't make it to the second interview though. I've been hoping to move into combustion devices since I did that extensively in my college's liquid rocket team and have been targeting those roles as well, but no luck even though one of the roles matched well with my experience working on the liquid rocket team.

Any advice/guidance? Should I be brushing up more on my technical side or prepare for those questions more? Am I doomed to never do some design work on a development LRE?

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 2218
Re: Getting a job at one of the smaller companies?
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2023 09:12 pm »
Any advice/guidance? Should I be brushing up more on my technical side or prepare for those questions more?
I'm not in space industry but I'm guessing that studying and practicing to improve your performance on the technical questions is a good way to improve your chances.

Offline gtae07

• Georgia, USA
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 432
« Reply #2 on: 11/23/2023 01:43 pm »
It might not hve been technical stuff that led to you not progressing further.  They might have just felt you weren't the right fit within the team for personality or other reasons.  I interviewed with a few smaller companies back in 2020 (we were all spamming out resumes thinking a third round of layoffs was coming) and while I had the technical qualifications and had the knowledge, I think all parties involved knew that I probably didn't have the small-company startup mentality, and at least a few probably figured I was too damaged by working on the in-service side of "legacy aerospace".  Not saying that's your situation, but it's something for folks to be aware of.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9300
  • Likes Given: 8056
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2023 07:35 pm »
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...and no, I'm not a Feline Dealer!!

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9300
  • Likes Given: 8056
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...and no, I'm not a Feline Dealer!!

Tags: career job 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography