Author Topic: First Back to the Moon  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: First Back to the Moon
« Reply #20 on: 04/24/2008 04:47 am »
renclod - 22/4/2008  11:50 AM

What space program will be first to returned to the moon ?

This kind of space program.

"Shown is the installation of O-rings in the aft nozzle section in support of the AresCLV First Stage at ATK in Utah"

Surely you are not implying that an Ares I could get anyone to the moon?
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 949
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #21 on: 04/24/2008 05:42 am »
Ares I is one 25mT launcher too many and too weak for the job to boot! Delta IV-H can already do the job if you take the time to manrate it.

Ares V as it exists on the drawing board cannot even complete the stated lunar mission. Nor has the funding promised for it materialised.

Until I see NASA adopting DIRECT I seriously doubt their chances, even though they are the favourites.

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: 04/24/2008 06:54 am »
Norm Hartnett - 24/4/2008  7:47 AM
Surely you are not implying that an Ares I could get anyone to the moon?

Lampyridae - 24/4/2008  8:42 AM
Ares I is one 25mT launcher too many ...
Ares V as it exists on the drawing board ...

"First Back to the Moon" kind of program - that I'm interested in - will launch like this :

It will repeatedly carry several of habitat modules, solar power towers, mobile "athletes", science labs, etc.

Yes, that launcher currently goes by the name "Ares V" and... guess what... it's the only kind of program element that sits on the drawing board with O-rings already installed in its aft nozzle sections   :laugh:

renclod  :laugh:

Offline MB123

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 04/24/2008 09:13 am »

Lampyridae - 24/4/2008 4:42 PM 

Ares I is one 25mT launcher too many.

mT is not the only factor. In fact, as you would know, the highest engineeing priority for Ares I is crew safety.

With that in mind, taking an existing cargo launcher and trying to convert is ridiculous IMO.

Lampyridae - 24/4/2008 4:42 PM 

and too weak for the job to boot!

If you insist on using the current launcher design state as the final product DIRECT wouldn't even get off the ground.

Offline Spacenick

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: 04/24/2008 09:38 am »
What about launching a Delta Heavy with the unmanned parts and the Crew on Ares I than do Earth Orbit Rendezvous.

Offline cb6785

• First Officer MD11F / Simulator Instructor
  • EDDS/STR
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: 04/24/2008 10:28 am »
I think not much will happen on the moon until nations are willing to cooporate...

Using a combination of the existing technologies would get us the most realistic chance.. As an example scenario: Launching the modules of the Lunar Vehicle with existing cargo launchers, rendevouz them in orbit, automated docking to ISS, preperation of the ship by ISS crew, launching lunar crew with Soyuz, meet with the ship parked at ISS and head off on the mission. After the mission the lunar ship could stay at ISS or a parking orbit, awaiting a new descent module, spare parts and fuel while the crew travels back with the parked Soyuz. Maintenance could be done the some way as it is done on ISS and you could use it for many missions as a regular "lunar express".

The only new technologie needed would be the ship itself, with components from the different nations, for example: US lander-technology, European rendevouz and guidance systems, etc.,etc.
But if everyone works on their own.....years and years and years to come before anyone walks on the moon again.
You know, if I’d had a seat you wouldn’t still see me in this thing. - Chuck Yeager

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography