Author Topic: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 3  (Read 1123326 times)

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 3
« Reply #3740 on: 05/21/2009 01:39 am »
There seems to be a lot of excitement at the possibility of fielding a new launch system which requires no new engine development work at all.

Sorry to be dissecting your words Ross, but is this excitement coming from people who should be exciting us by their excitement? Or, are you referring to the reception the concept has gotten within DIRECT, and among us here. I might be asking questions I shouldn't, and I apologize if that's the case. I understand y'all have to walk a thin line, especially these days.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3741 on: 05/21/2009 01:48 am »
There seems to be a lot of excitement at the possibility of fielding a new launch system which requires no new engine development work at all.

Sorry to be dissecting your words Ross, but is this excitement coming from people who should be exciting us by their excitement?

Yes.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #3742 on: 05/21/2009 01:48 am »

Sorry to be dissecting your words Ross, but is this excitement coming from people who should be exciting us by their excitement? Or, are you referring to the reception the concept has gotten within DIRECT, and among us here. I might be asking questions I shouldn't, and I apologize if that's the case. I understand y'all have to walk a thin line, especially these days.

From my own point of view, if I was designing a rocket and my manager said we are going with tried and true existing rockets...I would probably kiss them. The challenges of designing a rocket only get compounded when you add major unknowns like engine performance, attachment points, plumbing...

Going with an off-the-shelf engine saves you MONTHS of time right at the start. Just look at J-2X:

1. No 'firm' performance numbers
2. No 'firm' mass
3. No 'firm' availability date
4. No 'firm' environment data (acoustics, vibrations, thermal issues...)

All they have is data from an old design to go with.

And if that wasn't enough, just think of what might crop up with the new 5-segment rocket motor. It might be okay, but it might not (for Orion/Ares-I at least).

Offline duane

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3743 on: 05/21/2009 02:18 am »
Just a little musing here. It would be great to get former astronauts, or former NASA officials etc onto the "public face" team of Direct. I assume overtures like this have been made, but someone of stature directly associated with the space program (assuming it would be a retiree) would really help with the buzz

Thanks
Duane

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #3744 on: 05/21/2009 09:29 am »
Well, I do remember Danny Deger saying he'd like to help out. Not an astronaut, but a pretty credible ex-NASA employee, AFAIK...
Obviously entirely up to himself though- not a decision to be taken lightly.
« Last Edit: 05/21/2009 09:30 am by Kaputnik »
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #3745 on: 05/21/2009 10:44 am »
Danny Deger has a history with NASA, and will be labeled as a "disgrunted employee".

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3746 on: 05/21/2009 11:15 am »
Okay ladies and gentlemen, this thread has now reached 250 pages.   Its time for a move to a fresh thread.   This one is about to be locked.

New Thread is here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=17143.msg409346#msg409346

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight