Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Iridium NEXT Flight 1 DISCUSSION (Jan. 14 2017)  (Read 441972 times)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
So, any chance the static fire will happen today?
Apparently the FAA is dragging their feet. That might be the hold up.
Updates on the static firing are in L2.
The statement about the FAA is in the public UPDATES thread but is not linked to the static firing.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Yeah, you can bet the FAA are watching this Static Fire like hawks. A bit strange as I was told the FAA has no say in mission success.

FAA is only concerned about 3rd parties.  They don't care if the launch isn't successful, as long as it doesn't harm people or property.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Weather not looking good for the 8th at Vandenburg

Vandenberg
« Last Edit: 01/03/2017 05:07 pm by Jim »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Yeah, you can bet the FAA are watching this Static Fire like hawks. A bit strange as I was told the FAA has no say in mission success.

FAA is only concerned about 3rd parties.  They don't care if the launch isn't successful, as long as it doesn't harm people or property.

My interpretation is that the FAA is not delaying the static firing.
That doesn't contradict Chris' statement that they are likely watching.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247

Offline WindyCity

Static fire moved to Wednesday, as reported on Reddit.

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365

Actually, reddit was linking to Chris' post in the update thread...

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634

Actually, reddit was linking to Chris' post in the update thread...
Citeology in action!

There shouldn't be any connection between the FAA's approval of the anomaly report and the Static Fire for this mission.  SpaceX has clearly gotten FAA approval/permission for the ground handling aspects of the launch license because otherwise they couldn't even bring the rocket hardware onto the launch site property.  I suppose that temporary approval could include restrictions on hazardous operations, but I would expect any such restrictions to come from Range Safety as opposed to the FAA.  Not really their thing.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
Any word on the landing location for the 1st stage? 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Any word on the landing location for the 1st stage? 
JRTI is the approved plan. Currently waiting on the issuance of the Notice to Mariners and NOTAM for the barge landing and alternates.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
What makes IRIDIUM Flight 1 a barge landing, while Flights 2 and 3 are listed as RTLS?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
What makes IRIDIUM Flight 1 a barge landing, while Flights 2 and 3 are listed as RTLS?

Don't pay any attention to what's listed on the manifest thread now for those Iridium booster returns.  They'll get updated when we know what's actually going to happen.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
Got it, thanks. We could ask Starhawk to mark them blank in the manifest if their landings are uncertain.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
Aren't all the Iridium flights going to be either near shore barge landings, or pad landings? I thought they weren't doing any offshore landings.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Aren't all the Iridium flights going to be either near shore barge landings, or pad landings? I thought they weren't doing any offshore landings.
Barge landings until final approval for pad landings is received.

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 1118
  • Likes Given: 40

Didn't the FAA already say that they are good to go with the RTLS landings? The just need the actual launch license I guess.
Here is the Finding of No Significant Impact fore the Falcon 9 landings on the pad: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/ea_fonsi_f9_boostback_vafb.pdf

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

Didn't the FAA already say that they are good to go with the RTLS landings? The just need the actual launch license I guess.
Here is the Finding of No Significant Impact fore the Falcon 9 landings on the pad: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/ea_fonsi_f9_boostback_vafb.pdf
AFAIK DoD has to sign off on landings at military installations and I can find only evidence of approval at CCAFS at this time.

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 758
Matt Desch (Iridium CEO) confirmed yesterday on Twitter that the launch window will be instantaneous (see below).
Not sure if it was obvious or not, so posting in the discussion thread.

Na45597459: @IridiumBoss is Sunday's launch instantaneous or does it have a window?
IridiumBoss: @Na45597459 Instantaneous.  Need to launch to a specific plane (#6) and that's when it's overhead that day.
https://twitter.com/iridiumboss/status/816018732262817793

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 87
Matt Desch (Iridium CEO) confirmed yesterday on Twitter that the launch window will be instantaneous (see below).

Na45597459: @IridiumBoss is Sunday's launch instantaneous or does it have a window?
IridiumBoss: @Na45597459 Instantaneous.  Need to launch to a specific plane (#6) and that's when it's overhead that day.

So F9 can't do yaw steering like Atlas V when launched out-of-plane?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator

So F9 can't do yaw steering like Atlas V when launched out-of-plane?

They haven't demonstrated it

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography