Author Topic: Complete: Short Expected Downtime Notice for March 5, AM UTC  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Our host has informed us they will be patching and rebooting servers to counter the latest security thing those naughty people are cooking up. This will affect our Dallas servers at 7am UTC (2am Eastern) on March 5. Apparently it will be a short period (the last time it was less than 30 minutes and I think that was more work).

This is a necessary step and our host seems ahead of the game on this sort of thing. Thankfully there isn't a SpaceX launch or an event at that time! :)

Anyway, so you know. The period is pretty much the quietest time of day for the site, so that's helpful at least.

Update:

So it will be a short downtime, within a four hour window that opens at 7am - as they'll be rebooting one pod at a time:

>
Per data center maintenance will be performed one pod at a time. Individual hosts will be rebooted on a rolling basis within the pod. Maintenance will begin in the next pod after the previous pod's maintenance is completed. We estimate the process to take 4 hours per data center.<

In other words we could be up past 7am UTC and go down for a bit at 9am UTC.

System Engineers have completed all host server reboots in DAL01 at this time, and VSIs in this datacenter should be back online. I

« Last Edit: 03/05/2015 11:35 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
Re: Short Expected Downtime Notice for March 5, AM UTC
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2015 07:08 am »
Thanks for notifying us!  :D A lot of website admins (for, of course, other, less infallible websites) would have just let the downtime happen without considering it significant enough to warn people over.

Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2015 01:27 pm »
Updated the opening post. Split some of the other stuff into the feedback thread.

Two datacenters completed. I think we're next, about at about 7am UTC. Window looks like it'll be a lot shorter, as the completed a larger datacenter in 75 mins (the full datacenter, all of the pods), so the pods will be less than the entire datacenter.

Anyhoo, will try and be up for when this happens. If not, I'd be interested if anyone is around at that time to let us know how long we were dark.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2015 11:36 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2015 06:25 am »
Awaiting official confirmation from our host it seems we are back. Downtime : 10 minutes.

[edit]And confirmed.

System Engineers have completed all host server reboots in DAL01 at this time, and VSIs in this datacenter should be back online.

Mark
« Last Edit: 03/05/2015 08:16 am by NSF Webmaster »

Offline Chris Bergin

Well that was painless. And looking in my garage, all the NSF servers seem to be humming away nicely! ;)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
Well that was painless. And looking in my garage, all the NSF servers seem to be humming away nicely! ;)

Chris...Your garage is big enough to service a Shuttle. ;)
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography