Author Topic: Power Over Wireless  (Read 3849 times)

Offline justlukeyou

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Power Over Wireless
« on: 02/15/2007 12:18 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for information relating Power Over Wireless.  I have found this article

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/solar_power_sats_011017-1.html

I was wondering whether anyone has anymore views or information.

Thanks.

Offline Tony Rusi

• Regular
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: Power Over Wireless
« Reply #1 on: 02/15/2007 08:29 pm »
What do you want to know? JX crystals has 45% efficient cells.

Offline justlukeyou

Re: Power Over Wireless
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/2007 05:04 pm »
Im looking for as much information as possible, in pirticular how this technology can be used in renewable energy generation.

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: 02/17/2007 02:42 pm »
Are you looking for information about a Solar Power Satellite based energy economy, or are looking at something smaller: like transmitting power to individual vehicles on a roadway using microwaves, or something else altogether? The reason why I ask, is that wireless transmission is a pretty big field--and there recently is some work being done on creating 'local area inductive fields' that can recharge a cell phone or other small devices in your pocket as you sit at your desk--that sort of thing.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 02/17/2007 03:44 pm »
Nothing like re-inventing the wheel while ignoring the law of unintended consequences...

Back in the early days of amateur radio, open-wire lines were common, and as a result of exposure to RF, many hams developed cancers like leukemia. The widespread availability of the superior coaxial cable after WWII made ham radio an RF-friendly hobby, at least from the health standpoint. But even today, many countries mandate RF awareness and safety courses for their radio amateurs.

Anyone remember the good ol' Cold War flap when the Russians were saturating the Moscow U.S. embassy in low-level microwaves? It was only noticed after the staffers began developing health problems. The frequencies used were exotic then, but used in the cellular phone network today.

The health physics of RF have never changed- constant exposure will shorten your life span.

Some doctor will win a Nobel someday after he, or she, proves that rising infertility rates are directly linked to the constant bombardment of the human body by cell phone RF.

By the way, scientists like Steinmetz and Tesla did a lot of research in these areas, and much of it remains classified to this day.

Offline hmh33

« Reply #5 on: 02/18/2007 12:21 am »
spaceflight101 - 17/2/2007  4:44 PM
Back in the early days of amateur radio, open-wire lines were common, and as a result of exposure to RF, many hams developed cancers like leukemia.

Do you have any credible reference for this? I was unaware that there was ANY generally accepted convincing evidence of RF causing cellular damage other than by plain heating.

And Tesla was a nut, particularly later in life.

Offline Zachstar

• Expert
  • Washington State
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 02/18/2007 12:33 am »
Thank you 101! That was a great post.

I can hardly stand it when someone pulls a cell phone out while I'm talking to them. Not only is it annoying but also I dislike being bombarded with it's signal. The feeling is just like when someone blows smoke in your face.

"Need A Cooker? Use Your Cell Phone"

http://www.rense.com/general72/cellcook.htm

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 02/18/2007 02:33 am »
Here's some links for RF safety information:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html

Here's one about the Cold War embassy incident:
http://www.goodhealthinfo.net/radiation/health_efx_western.htm

Here's a quote from the FCC's information...those of you who are planning tp have a family may want to read this carefully:

"...Tissue damage in humans could occur during exposure to high RF levels because of the body's inability to cope with or dissipate the excessive heat that could be generated. Two areas of the body, the eyes and the testes, are particularly vulnerable to RF heating because of the relative lack of available blood flow to dissipate the excessive heat load. "

Tesla was a nut? He forgot more than any of us, even ALL of us, will ever know. Why is it that those who are fortunate or talented enough to figure out how the universe actually works are called "nuts"?
As a point of reference, my late father seemed pretty stupid when I was a teenager, but by the time he died some 30 years later he'd gotten pretty close to being a combination of Ghandi and Lincoln.

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: 02/18/2007 03:18 am »
Well, as a matter of fact--I am a licensed Ham radio operator. My call sign is KF6AAL.

RF exposure is definately a concern, and recent (within the last two years) the FCC has invoked stricter regulations over RF exposure, which requires Ham's to be more RF-concious and concientious. While there are some studies which seem to illustrate a strong correlation between RF exposure and various health problems--there is not definitive study to prove a link. However, one doesn't necessarily need a definitive study: one only has to look at a hot dog in a microwave oven to know that 700 W of microwave rf can kill.

Having said that--and I am one who definately likes to limit my own personal RF exposure--I think the original question of beamed powerwith regards to spaceflight is a valid one. The RF exposure issues relating to things like Solar Power Satellites, while on one side I think needs more study--but on the other hand the possibility of transmitting power in a beam is fascinating.

There are some studies which seem to indicate that beamed power from an orbiting SPS could be transmitted as a near infra-red laser beam. One of these is a little dated (from 1981) but is an interesting read:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820010704_1982010704.pdf

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 02/18/2007 01:27 pm »
I've been a ham since 1980, a CBer since 1970, and a SWL since 1965.

Back in the day, I would go to hamfests and CB coffee breaks. The similar lifestyles of the adults of the time tended to create health issues, although no one knew it at the time. Sedentary lifestyles, combined with smoking, led to heart attacks and cancers.

But while the CBers of the day would often get lung cancers, the hams would get leukemia, bone, and brain cancers. Sure, it was impressive to see a fluorescent tube placed by the ham's open-wire feeders lighting with his modulation, or with the code key, but no one knew what the RF was doing to them.  

I learned all of this by listening to the old-timers talking about the guys who had become silent keys, and what they died from.

Zachstar made an interesting observation. Back when the nationwide 55 mph limit was instituted, I was 19, and the X-band radars used by police then made my skin crawl! There was a TV show on a few years ago that featured a radar cop whose trick was to hide the radar in his crotch before aiming it at you. He wound up with a cantalope-sized tumor on his leg!

That's all the proof I need!

Offline justlukeyou

« Reply #10 on: 02/18/2007 08:31 pm »
Ive heard that many of the developers will license there technology to the bigger manufacters such as Sony and Samsung and they have plans to market the technology over the next 2 years.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography