Author Topic: UK TV Series Space Cadets  (Read 20343 times)

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
RE: UK TV Series Space Cadets
« Reply #20 on: 11/28/2005 09:22 pm »
probably, its in a hanger somewhere, shouldn't be too hard too find :)

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #21 on: 11/29/2005 12:20 pm »
Mark Max Q - 28/11/2005  4:53 PM

"A custom-built screen just outside the shuttle will attempt to provide the illusion of a view of Earth.

But producers will not have to recreate weightlessness because the contestants are to be told their orbit will take them to Near Space, not Deep Space, where they could experience the sensation."

How stupid :)

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be fooled by that.  This show sounds like garbage.

Offline Terry Rocket

• Veteran
  • Birmingham, England
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: 11/30/2005 05:40 pm »
They just showed what will be their training modules of the ISS and they've thrown some serious money at it. They've also said they think they'll be training in Kazistan, so they've got that right.

Problem is............then the launch will be on a Shuttle??? I think most people know all Shuttles launch only in the US. A Soyuz TMA would be easier to hoax too for realism. Not a Hollywood Flight Deck of an Orbiter!

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #23 on: 11/30/2005 06:42 pm »
Everyone is hoping this show fails all the same. That'll teach them this was a subject not to be messed with.

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #24 on: 12/01/2005 01:39 am »
This seems like something y'all going to have to watch to report back on how bad it is!

Offline UK Shuttle Clan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: 12/01/2005 01:35 pm »
You can view one of the trailers on here:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/

Not the ones with the Shuttles though :(

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #26 on: 12/01/2005 03:02 pm »
Johnny Vaughan is great, but this show is going to be total crap and we know it. Crazy as I bet we'll all be watching it!

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #27 on: 12/01/2005 04:14 pm »
If this show is like most  U.S. reality-type shows, then it probably has already been shot and is "in the can" as they say.  They surely wouldn't devote all the promo's and 5 nights of scheduled air time unless they already know there is something to  show (i.e., that it didn't "bomb" and have the contestants know its all a joke the first hour.)  I can't see how it could be "live", since even if they were in Kasakstan "training" for launch these past few weeks, I doubt they are "incommunicado" with friends and relatives back home, who certainly would have seen the commercials and would tip them off.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 12/01/2005 04:24 pm »
Yeah, it's a good point.

All this reality stuff started with Big Brother in Holland - which was low budget, but pulled in the punters. Then the UK bought it and threw money at it, sold it around the world, as we've done with I'm a Celebrity, get my out of here. It's all the same UK company that did Millionaire etc.

I think cause they've set up a schedule in case it all goes wrong and they work it out, they are doing it live as such, but have them hidden away for a month previous, like Big Brother, so they can't be tipped off my family and friends.
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #29 on: 12/02/2005 01:53 pm »
The more I read and hear about this show, the more implausible it seems to be able to pull off the hoax.  Does anyone know how many "contestants" there will be?  Are they all supposed to be on the "flight", or only a "winner" after a sort of space training survivor type setup?  

Are there five contestants (shuttle typically holds 7, so that's 2 pilots and then 5 "passenger contestants")?  The KSC visitor's center has a full scale orbiter mockup where you can see the flight deck and mid-deck. They are surprisingly small and cramped.  What makes things OK for 7 people is that zero-G allows for much more usable volume for all those people.  In "Near Space" with gravity  ;)  there's not a lot of room for everyone to be standing just on the "floor".  Also,  the show is what?, one hour a night for 5 nights?  I can't believe they would stay in the small "simulator" a full 5 days at 1-G.  

Without knowing anything about this, (being in the U.S.), I feel this is the most likely thing:  The first 3 nights will be pre-taped segments on the training... one episode is "survival training" (astronauts always used to go through this in case they landed in a remote region)... the next night... getting G-forces riding on the centerfuge, the next night, experiencing weightlessness in a plane flying parabolas over and over (i.e., vomit comet style... just in case they overshoot "Near Space" into outer space and get some weightlessness!!). Then, the fourth night, suiting up practice, (maybe live) learning to breathe in a space suit and not get claustrophobic, preparing for the next day's launch, live interviews with the contestants on their fears, feelings, etc.  Finally, on the last night a 3-hour live episode of the launch and a 2-orbit "mission".  That's how I can envision such a show.  Remember, if its "live" in the UK during prime time, that's what? ,  3 am at the launch site?

In fact, it'd be much more do-able if one person were eliminated during each training session, so that at the launch, there is only one "winner", and they are the only contestant in the extra "passenger seat" of a Soyuz.  This scheme was actually a real planned show in the US by the NBC network.  It didn't happen, but it was to be called "Survivor: Space".  The contestants would all go through the Russian training, someone would be eliminated at the end of each specific session.  At the end, on launch day, there'd be only two remaining contestants that would prepare for launch.  Then one final "winner" would be picked, and actually be on a real Soyuz taxi launch (NBC would have picked up the $20 million fare, since they could make a lot more money from 5 nights of advertisments).

Anyway, you folks in the UK will just have to watch and tell us what its all about!

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #30 on: 12/02/2005 04:33 pm »
It would probably take an HLLV just to lob their set and equipment into space for it to be real. ;)

Offline FransonUK

« Reply #31 on: 12/02/2005 04:37 pm »
They say it's costing 15m quid to do the show, with a full scale ISS copy in the hanger for training and the Space Cowboys Orbiter flight deck for the launch. The launch will be for the two winners (one will be an embedded actor) and apparently they will be using "suggestion" to help make it realist for the winner (Hypotism?)

Apparently the background checks have been done to see if they know bugger all about space flight (good job).

They keep stressing it might all go wrong and Channel 4 have an alternate schedule if it becomes farcical. Sounds like a big gamble. Not sure what the US version of Channel 4 would be?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 12/02/2005 04:41 pm »
The way it would work is:

UK BBC - US ABC
UK ITV - US NBC
UK SKY - US FOX
UK Channel 4 - US CBS
UK Channel 5 - US, errmm, do you have a channel that shows nothing but chat shows during daytime and low budget risky films at night? ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #33 on: 12/04/2005 01:15 am »
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/spectrum.cfm?id=2335272005 - was shocked it was "TV Choice" for next week, but the write up does make a mockery of it.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Andy L

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: 12/04/2005 01:58 am »
Well I hope it fails badly.

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #35 on: 12/04/2005 03:51 pm »
Entertainment now, on E4 or Sky, can't remember, are running a competition to try and break the farce by way of infultrating the recording of the series. A bit like when they flew a plane with a banner over the Big Brother house giving away who was the gay bloke trying to act like he wasn't.

Offline FransonUK

« Reply #36 on: 12/04/2005 03:53 pm »
That's on E4 or More 4. Will have to look out for it.

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #37 on: 12/05/2005 12:50 pm »
With it being so farcical, and the UK public being mainly bored with this sort of "ha ha, so funny, for a minute and that was it" people, how does the channel think it'll be worth the money they've spent. The UK public won't watch crap, I'm sure.

Offline FransonUK

« Reply #38 on: 12/05/2005 12:53 pm »
Mark Max Q - 5/12/2005  7:50 AM

With it being so farcical, and the UK public being mainly bored with this sort of "ha ha, so funny, for a minute and that was it" people, how does the channel think it'll be worth the money they've spent. The UK public won't watch crap, I'm sure.

When the biggest shows on UK TV right now are:

I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here.
X Factor (the next Pop Idol, or American Idol)
East Enders (Depressing London based soap)
Coronation Street (Depressing Manchester based soap)

Then you don't know us that well :)

(Not including) Little Britain (huge, the new Monty Phython type show).

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #39 on: 12/05/2005 01:11 pm »
 I don't think I've ever watched a single show of any of those! Can I still call myself British :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography