Author Topic: UK TV Series Space Cadets  (Read 20347 times)

Offline UK Shuttle Clan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
UK TV Series Space Cadets
« on: 11/25/2005 05:18 pm »
Channel 4 seem to be pimping the hell out of this. What's it about?

The trailers seem to be NASA based, with the Shuttle getting most of the trailers.

Offline Rocket Ronnie

• Regular
RE: UK TV Series Space Cadets
« Reply #1 on: 11/25/2005 05:24 pm »
Yeah, was wondering about that. Apparently it's running for like a week, every night at 9pm, and as you mention its being promoed ever time I stick Channel 4 on.

What I don't get is they have nice shots of the Shuttle (heading to the Moon  :o  ;) ) but always seem to have a strange ending, like the Orbiter bangs into the text of the promo, or the stars behind the astronaut flicker and shows a studio.

I don't get it.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 11/25/2005 05:30 pm »
Well it's nothing to do with NASA and that shot of the Orbiter is a ripped off photo from when they transport them on the transporter to the VAB (you can tell if you look closely as the windows still have the black blinds on them) :)

I think this is a pretty poor attempt to copy the format of the US show "My big fat abnoxious boss" - where people think they are fighting it out for a massive prize, only to find it was a joke (ha ha, errrr, right, hilarious ;) )

Looks like Channel 4 are trying to compete with ITV 2 (the crack cocaine of television).

This is all I can find on the Channel 4 site.
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 11/25/2005 09:54 pm »
Seems like they are pushing money at it. Johnny Vaughan is the presenter.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline tommy

« Reply #4 on: 11/25/2005 10:49 pm »
I've heard what it's about now and you're all not going to find this amussing.

Channel 4 have paid the Russian Space Agency a load of cash to take some pre-selected winners to Russia to train over two years!! to ride on a Soyuz TMA to the ISS.

The show runs over 10 days which is edited from their time training.

The trick is once they launch, all of it apparently cleverly simulated, they get to the pretend ISS and open the hatch to the live show at the end of the series where it's actually a TV audience.

I don't know how it would work!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 11/25/2005 10:57 pm »
How the hell are they going to "simulate" the whole thing? Get a load of complete idiots who don't look out of windows?

Sure, taking the lack of knowledge into account, you could hoax them into a simulator, maybe. Just find the whole thing a very strange and more so pointless waste of TV.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #6 on: 11/25/2005 11:01 pm »
Also, I can't believe the Russians would allow this. A load of reality (or not reality as the case may be) people running around their training facilities.

I know $$$$ speak, but Channel 4 wouldn't of gone and spent millions on it. They don't have the same sort of cash as ITV and Sky.

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #7 on: 11/26/2005 12:07 am »
Well I thought I'd heard it all when it came to stupid TV, but this seems borderline idiotic. You guys in the UK will have to keep us up to date to see if this is as bad as it sounds.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 11/26/2005 10:20 am »
Sounds like it belongs on Channel 5!
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 11/26/2005 02:44 pm »
How would you feel if you trained for two years, launched and found out its a joke?

heres some more info:

most is filmed in a disused aircraft hanger in the UK,
the launch uses the shuttle from the clint eastwood flilm space cowboys
computer graphics are displayed through the shuttle windows

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 11/26/2005 02:58 pm »
This gets more rediculous by the day.

At least that explains why they are using an orbiter in the promos....although we're really pushing the limits of how stupid these contestants must be, given they believe (as an actual real part of the lie) they are 'going to Russia - to fly a US Shuttle' - and then they could have maybe gotten away with a sim if they'd strapped them into the mid deck. Gambling with a simulator out of the window has got to be a give away!

Offline UK Shuttle Clan

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 11/26/2005 03:09 pm »
I'm really going to watch this now - sounds so stupid it has to be hilarious.

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 11/26/2005 06:27 pm »
Anyone who works it out has the option to play along with the 'joke' by the way

Offline tommy

« Reply #13 on: 11/26/2005 06:50 pm »
Don't like the idea of this. Typical crap TV that we suffer a lot of in recent years.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: 11/26/2005 07:53 pm »
Chris Bergin - 26/11/2005  9:58 AM

This gets more rediculous by the day.

At least that explains why they are using an orbiter in the promos....although we're really pushing the limits of how stupid these contestants must be, given they believe (as an actual real part of the lie) they are 'going to Russia - to fly a US Shuttle' - and then they could have maybe gotten away with a sim if they'd strapped them into the mid deck.  Gambling with a simulator out of the window has got to be a give away!

"how stupid these contestants must be"....  not to mention clueless.  If they had any interest in this "mission" at all, they probably would have heard that the U.S. Shuttles are currently grounded for safety reasons, and may launch next spring at the earliest.  Or do they think they are going on Buran?  ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #15 on: 11/26/2005 10:20 pm »
Maybe they think they are going on the British Shuttle Churchill :)

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #16 on: 11/28/2005 11:01 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4442882.stm

This is just stupid :( but it would be fun to see it completely backfire on the first day. Seeing as it hasn't even been filmed yet surely the first thing anyone entering would do is google 'channel 4 space cadets' and blow the whole thing.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: 11/28/2005 03:50 pm »
Maybe this will turn out to be something like Punked or Fear Factor:  I can easily see the perversity (assuming the contestants REALLY believe they're on a spaceship) in having a simulated "accident"... I can even hear it now:  "Houston... we've had a problem".  During a routine small orbital correction burn... have a loud BANG sound aft, and create a shuddder/vibration through the simulator.  Then, have the "windows" fog up (due to venting whatever).  Then, tell the contestants they should say their prayers since either a) they'll run out of air in 15 minutes, or b). have only a 20% chance of safely performing an emergency reentry... and if they did, they'd have to ditch in the ocean and then, probably not survive.  Something like that.  If you're going to have such a stupid show, you might as well go all the way.

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #18 on: 11/28/2005 03:53 pm »
"A custom-built screen just outside the shuttle will attempt to provide the illusion of a view of Earth.

But producers will not have to recreate weightlessness because the contestants are to be told their orbit will take them to Near Space, not Deep Space, where they could experience the sensation."

How stupid :)

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 11/28/2005 06:13 pm »
I wonder if there's a way to help out this show and cause it to have to cancel. Now that would be funny.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography