Author Topic: NASA's New Vision  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
NASA's New Vision
« on: 11/23/2005 04:18 pm »
I'd be keen to learn of what, exactly, NASA intends to do when it returns to the Moon.

At present, the reason for going there seems to be a rather nebulous "to prepare us for missions to Mars". Is there a firm game plan of what NASA will do? Will it be, as some journalists have speculated, just a souped-up Apollo? Will there be scientific bases akin to those in Antarctica? Will it be used for astronomical observations? Geological research? Fuel mining? I'd love to see a return to the Moon because I think it's such an amazing and starkly beautiful place - even more so than Mars, in my opinion - but can't see the public or politicians pumping billions into it, consistently for a decade or more, for "scientific research".

As far as I'm aware, the VSE doesn't spell out what NASA will do with the Moon and that concerns me because, 15 years hence, I can see NASA's attitude to this project going the same way as the ISS: we've done what we were legally obliged to do under international agreements, we're no longer interested and let's play with our newer, bigger toy instead (which itself will probably get cast aside when even larger ones appear).

Offline CuddlyRocket

RE: NASA's New Vision
« Reply #1 on: 11/23/2005 04:33 pm »
Griffin hasn't stated exactly what the plans are for Moon exploration etc., because once he does so someone will cost it, add it to the current costings, and write articles condemning the even greater 'waste' of money.

The main purpose of going to the Moon is to develop the systems, technological and otherwise, for operating a manned mission on another body for six months at a time. Also to develop in-situ resource utilisation technology. And to get medical information on how astronauts' bodies react to long periods at one-sixth g.

While they're there, they can do some science. Stop them getting bored.

To maintain a manned spaceflight capability (which is considered a strategic national security requirement by the US military and a majority of Congress) costs a certain amount - and you have to fly the occasional mission to keep the people sufficiently well-practiced. The question then is, as Griffin keeps reminding people, if you're going to spend the money anyway, what kind of missions do you want? He suggests Moon missions will sustain greater public support than LEO, and he's probably right.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography