Author Topic: 10,000 posts and counting  (Read 1745 times)

Offline James Lowe1

• New York City
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
10,000 posts and counting
« on: 11/23/2005 01:06 pm »
For a site that is only nine months old and specific to space flight only (no free space or off topic chat) I'm really proud the way this site is going.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: 10,000 posts and counting
« Reply #1 on: 11/23/2005 08:52 pm »
Well the forum is nothing without its posters. We have a huge percentage of great posters on here, despite this being early days for the site. The contributions they have made is very much appreciated.

This is also a good opportunity to wish all our American visitors a happy Thanksgiving for Thursday.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: 11/23/2005 11:11 pm »
I'm not only impressed with the way this site feels like its been around for a long time, but very impressed with the posters of all levels of knowledge on here, from those asking questions to those who know the answers. The news stories not over complicated and readable and the message board appears to always be safe and friendly and very importantly respectful. To see so many young faces (I'm near retirement age) interested and passionate and wanting to learn more about the very work we've quiet literally dedicated our careers and lives to, including some very dizzy highs and some tragic lows is appreciated more than I can ever put into words.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 11/24/2005 12:45 am »
Thanks Flight, that means a lot to everyone, I'm sure.

There's a good point noted in your post about our news being uncomplicated to read. That's intentional, and my style of writing as it is.

Downside is you've prompted me to go on about how we're positioning ourselves as a site ;)

Before I set this site up, I regularly (and still do) visited the likes of spaceref.com and spaceflightnow.com. We'd fall flat on our faces if we had tried to do a mirror of those sites, as 1) We're never ever going to get even close to the information Keith gets on his sites, 2) We aren't going to be able to cover as many elements of space news as spaceflightnow does, added to them practically being 'on site' at KSC, which adds major value to the likes of their mission status pages.

So I brought this site on with the mandate of being a good starting point for people to get interested in NASA, with the Shuttles as the focus (because that was my first interest back in '86), naturally spreading out from that base. While it turns out the site (thanks to a number of key posters and writers) also found enough depth to keep informed people interested in visiting here, we will always encourage people to visit other sites to get a good, objective and balanced view on space flight and related topics. Regardless of whether those sites return the favour or not.

I've never really believed (in all the sites I've been involved with) that its viable to compete, given web sites are just a click away from each other, and no one is limited to how many sites they visit. While one important factor is to keep maintaining and improving the site to ensure those people still include you in their daily browse around the sites.

Needless to say I'm appreciative of the USA etc. Engineers, NASA people, informed posters and people like Keith (especially from me, as he's the guy to look up to when one is a journalist aspiring to write breaking space flight news - we'll be very welcoming to Bill Harewood if he turns up one day ;) ) for visiting here and being willing to spend some time conversing with the people on this site.

Just as much, every poster and guest on here is part of this site, because without that mix, we'll not be around for all that long. If we build, be open to helpful advise and continue to be transparent in our aims (as I try to be), then maybe I'll be having a similar conversation with you all in 10 years time.

We'll do our best.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography