Author Topic: Apollo junk  (Read 6877 times)

Offline t walker

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Apollo junk
« on: 11/16/2005 07:51 pm »
Everybody knows that spacejunk is a major threat to the ISS and any spacecraft indeed, but one thing occurred to me recently. How many spent Saturn 5 and 1B third stages are there still out there? Or lunar modules and command modules? Think of how big these things are, it is a real threat i would think.

Also, wont we have the same issue all over again when the apollo-like CEV comes in? Im really quite concerned over this now.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
RE: Apollo junk
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/2005 08:24 pm »
NORAD's space-radar screens have for years been lit up like Christmas trees, tracking debris from LEO to geosynchronous. It's the smaller, harder to track junk that poses the biggest problem. Unfortunately, one day a spacewalker is going to turn around and get slapped with the equivalent of Ed White's EVA glove.

Offline Dogsbd

« Reply #2 on: 11/16/2005 08:29 pm »
All the Saturn Ib stages would have re-entered long agao, I believe. All but one Saturn V third stage impacted teh Moon, Apollo 12 missed and is in solar orbit. All Apollo service modules re-entered, all but I think one Apollo LM ascent stage crashed into the Moon after the crew transfered to the CM. I believe one LM ascent stage was ejected into solar orbit for some reason.

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: 11/16/2005 08:51 pm »
Dogsbd - 16/11/2005  4:29 PM

All the Saturn Ib stages would have re-entered long agao, I believe. All but one Saturn V third stage impacted teh Moon, Apollo 12 missed and is in solar orbit. All Apollo service modules re-entered, all but I think one Apollo LM ascent stage crashed into the Moon after the crew transfered to the CM. I believe one LM ascent stage was ejected into solar orbit for some reason.

The locations of Apollo equipment can be found at http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_tables.html

John B. Dobbins

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #4 on: 11/17/2005 04:33 am »
Dobbins - 16/11/2005  4:51 PM

Dogsbd - 16/11/2005  4:29 PM

The locations of Apollo equipment can be found at http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_tables.html

Very nice listing, thanks.. trash tracking could become a business?

Offline ADC9

• Veteran
  • France
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: 11/17/2005 02:30 pm »
Wow, I didn't think some of it would end up heading on to the Moon!!! :)

Offline carmelo

« Reply #6 on: 11/17/2005 03:06 pm »
The Apollo 11 LM is still in lunar orbit?

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
« Reply #7 on: 11/17/2005 03:39 pm »
carmelo - 17/11/2005  11:06 AM

The Apollo 11 LM is still in lunar orbit?

No, the orbit degraded a long time ago and it crashed somewhere on the Moon, just where is unknown.

John B. Dobbins

Offline UK Shuttle Clan

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 11/17/2005 04:06 pm »
Have they ever managed to photograph some of this Apollo hardware on the surface? Thinking maybe Hubble?

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: 11/17/2005 04:25 pm »
Actually, speaking of which, wasn't there going to be a mission where a probe was going to take photos on the Apollo landing sites to help prove the hoax people wrong?
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 11/17/2005 04:25 pm »
that would be interesting but a waste of resources in NASAs eyes.

maybe when the CEV goes to the moon it can land next to one of the crashed modules, like Apollo 12 landed next to Surveyor.

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 11/17/2005 04:26 pm »
Above message was replying to Shuttle can's, not Fransons because that was posted while I was typing.

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #12 on: 11/17/2005 04:36 pm »
Maybe in 100 years time we could have an exhibition at one of the local moon bases :)

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 11/17/2005 05:30 pm »
The lunar orbiter NASA will fly in 2008 will have cameras powerful enough to resolve objects the size of a LM descent stage and the rover and its tracks. Hubble, as powerful as it is, can't. I like a conspiracy as much as the next person, but this hoaxed landing crap is . . . well . . . crap.

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #14 on: 11/17/2005 05:38 pm »
Absolutely, and if anyone believes it is a hoax, talk to Buzz......

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 11/17/2005 06:32 pm »
The moon landings were real just as the moon itself is real there is absolutely no doubt about that. I don't blame Capricorn 1 for the hoax theories, I blame the, ahem, "people" that just want to be popular and don't believe in, well, anything good.

If there is anyone on this forum who does not believe the moon landings really happened than i advise them, change your opinion or don't state your opinion because the vast majority of this forum know that they did happen.

They happened. No doubt whatsoever.

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
« Reply #16 on: 11/17/2005 07:05 pm »
t walker - 17/11/2005  2:32 PM

The moon landings were real just as the moon itself is real there is absolutely no doubt about that. I don't blame Capricorn 1 for the hoax theories, I blame the, ahem, "people" that just want to be popular and don't believe in, well, anything good.

Believing in a conspiracy fulfills a psychological need in some people. They believe it because they want it to be true for some personal reason. If the mountains of already existing data on the Moon Landings hasn't convinced them that they really happened then some new "faked" pictures from a NASA probe isn't going to change these people's minds.

John B. Dobbins

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 11/17/2005 07:49 pm »
Gee, Buzz punches like a 60-year-old.

"Neil, now WHO'S going out first?"

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 11/17/2005 07:52 pm »
And an addendum to previous 2008 lunar orbiter mission: I'm not certain but believe the camera's resolution might be sufficient to pick up even the footprints. Checkmate.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #19 on: 11/18/2005 02:54 am »
rsp1202 - 17/11/2005  3:52 PM

And an addendum to previous 2008 lunar orbiter mission: I'm not certain but believe the camera's resolution might be sufficient to pick up even the footprints. Checkmate.

No... it will just prove more money spend to cover up the conspiracy ... somethink like a conspiracy part II...

I always had two questions for those in the conspiracy  camp... 1) How the hell did Nasa get the TV and radio signals to come from a stationary point on the Moon? 2) Why no negative statement from the USSR, hey they where the competition?

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #20 on: 11/18/2005 11:54 am »
Yeah, the Soviets would be all over this if they sniffed a conspriacy. Imagine a 1960s version of Anik :)

Offline t walker

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 11/18/2005 05:01 pm »
A channel 5 programme I watched about the lunar landings said that it would have cost more to fake it than it did to fly them for real.

Also i get so peed off by people saying the radiation was too high. Mr Van Allen himself I believe pointed out they were not exposed to nearly enough radiation for nearly long enough to cause any lasting harm.

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #22 on: 11/18/2005 08:46 pm »
Yep, people forget they travelled through it at a high speed.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography