Author Topic: Enchantress -- A SpaceX Tribute Video  (Read 16170 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Enchantress -- A SpaceX Tribute Video
« on: 05/03/2017 12:30 am »
Enchantress -- A SpaceX Tribute Video

SpaceKSCBlog

Published on May 2, 2017
"Enchantress" is a musical montage video tribute to the reusable SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage booster.

Most video footage is from the SpaceX YouTube channel. One small clip is from a National Geographic Channel film about the first Falcon 9 landing on December 22, 2015.

The music "Enchantress" is from the album "Vanquish" by Two Steps From Hell. You can order the album and others through their web site at www.twostepsfromhell.com.

Visit our web site at www.spaceksc.com. We're on Twitter at @SpaceKSCBlog.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Enchantress -- A SpaceX Tribute Video
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2017 01:29 am »
what a neat production

(I've repeated it about 5 times already, it's just so stirring)
« Last Edit: 05/03/2017 03:19 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2017 02:03 am »
Wow! Excellent!
DM

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2017 02:46 am »
Great summary.  I'll have to show this to friends. 

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1304
« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2017 02:59 am »
 I'm always getting annoyed when someone puts a cheesy, totally inappropriate score on a good video.
 This wasn't one of those times. That was outstanding.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2017 05:03 am »
Really cool. Although it would have been neat to see the CR3 water landing and then the CRS 5/6 and the Jason-3 landing RUD's included in this as well.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #6 on: 05/08/2017 03:02 am »
That's inspiring.  Really like it.
The music is a bit schmaltzy, and they had to cut out some of the final seconds of several landings, but overall it was a delight to watch.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #7 on: 05/08/2017 01:41 pm »
That's inspiring.  Really like it.
The music is a bit schmaltzy, and they had to cut out some of the final seconds of several landings, but overall it was a delight to watch.

The descent through the clouds and landing on final flight was skipped -- a shame because we saw it all finally.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #8 on: 05/11/2017 07:11 pm »
I didn't like it at all. It isn't a truthful summary of Falcon 9 development and because of that it just isn't very interesting.

Show the Grashopper that blew up, the water landings, the stages that failed spectacularly, and THEN move on to the eventual triumphs.

This is just a sanitised succession of clips that doesn't tell any story at all. 

Offline CorvusCorax

• Germany
  • Liked: 4009
  • Likes Given: 2738
« Reply #9 on: 05/12/2017 07:28 am »
Yeah, definitely room for improvement.

Don't get me wrong this is a really great video, and I like the choice of mixing the sound track with the dramaturgy. It's really well done, and It also really highlights the awesome progress made.

But it could and should have shown the sad moments. The tension of a picture perfect launch suddenly ending in a fiery (or in case of CRS-7 not so fiery) explosion. F9R-Dev1 would be a good show for that.  How after the first successes with grasshopper, suddenly things start getting wrong. Stages hit the deck but explode, then the test vehicle explodes. Finally an explosion even during launch.

And then that awesome recovery.  SpaceX story has so much drama in it, always aiming for the stars and attempting the impossible, then being brought back to the harsh ground of reality by fiery explosions, only to rise again like phoenix from the ashes. Their comebacks are legendary.

That movie is good, but there can, there has to be better! There needs to be more BOOM!

Do it again!!!!

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36930
« Reply #10 on: 05/12/2017 08:22 am »
theverge has done a compilation of all ASDS & land landing attempts:

Watch every SpaceX rocket landing attempt in 100 seconds

https://twitter.com/verge/status/862723527182610433

Edit: doh! Really sorry, wrong attachment :(. Try again ...
« Last Edit: 05/12/2017 05:49 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #11 on: 05/12/2017 05:00 pm »
I didn't like it at all. It isn't a truthful summary of Falcon 9 development and because of that it just isn't very interesting.

Show the Grashopper that blew up, the water landings, the stages that failed spectacularly, and THEN move on to the eventual triumphs.

This is just a sanitised succession of clips that doesn't tell any story at all.

It's a highlight reel, not a true historical document.  ::) Do you voice the same complain when you see the Apollo landings and they don't show all the setbacks that program encountered? Or a clip of Shuttle missions without showing Challenger and Columbia?
« Last Edit: 05/12/2017 05:01 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #12 on: 05/13/2017 12:27 am »
I loved it and already spread it around, but I wished it had the full landing of the last launch included, which was just so much more beautiful than the others.

Offline spacekscblog

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 05/14/2017 11:56 pm »
Hi, I'm the producer of "Enchantress."  Glad to read it found an audience.

Some miscellaneous comments ...

Regarding the lack of "negative" footage, keep in mind (as someone said) this isn't a documentary.  It's art.  It's like asking Leonardo da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa with a hair sticking out of her right nostril.  The film was intended to be a celebration of this incredible revolutionary technology we're witnessing unfold before us, in our lifetimes.

As for certain editing choices ... I was limited to what SpaceX has released online.  With barge ASDS landings, most of you know that the signal breaks up just before landing.  I could have used frozen or broken images, but where's the art in that?  Believe me, I would have loved to have shown it all the way to landing with perfect video, but SpaceX hasn't released that.

As for certain notable missions not being used ... The reality is that for some of them good footage hasn't been released.  The first launch from 39A, for example, was in heavy low cloud cover.  Little could be seen.

Also note that the video has to match with the music.  I don't think there's a place in there for boosters crashing and exploding, not the way I interpreted it.

The group Two Steps From Hell has inspired me to produce several music videos.  You should check them out.  Their web site is http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/.  They typically release their albums on YouTube after a few weeks at https://www.youtube.com/user/TwoStepsFromTheMusic/videos.  Give a listen.  If you enjoy their music, purchase their digital albums through their web site.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #14 on: 05/15/2017 12:42 am »
Very good!! The music fits well. During the Shuttle era, there were several people who used to always and I mean always use pounding, screaming heavy metal music to illustrate the Shuttle footage. I was lukewarm to those - which is ironic, because I'm a big classic Rock and New-Wave-of-British-Metal fan!! However, one chap from Germany I think it was used more ambient and orchestral music - that always fitted better. You've done that concept proud. This is stirring stuff...
« Last Edit: 05/15/2017 12:46 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: 05/15/2017 12:44 am »
When Falcon Heavy finally flies - please do one for that, too.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline spacekscblog

« Reply #16 on: 05/15/2017 01:40 am »

Oh, believe me, I already have the music selected for that one.  ;)

Offline lonestriker

• Houston We've Had A Problem
  • Liked: 820
  • Likes Given: 5155
« Reply #17 on: 05/15/2017 03:10 am »
Hi, I'm the producer of "Enchantress."  Glad to read it found an audience.

Some miscellaneous comments ...

Regarding the lack of "negative" footage, keep in mind (as someone said) this isn't a documentary.  It's art.  It's like asking Leonardo da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa with a hair sticking out of her right nostril.  The film was intended to be a celebration of this incredible revolutionary technology we're witnessing unfold before us, in our lifetimes.

As for certain editing choices ... I was limited to what SpaceX has released online.  With barge ASDS landings, most of you know that the signal breaks up just before landing.  I could have used frozen or broken images, but where's the art in that?  Believe me, I would have loved to have shown it all the way to landing with perfect video, but SpaceX hasn't released that.

As for certain notable missions not being used ... The reality is that for some of them good footage hasn't been released.  The first launch from 39A, for example, was in heavy low cloud cover.  Little could be seen.

Also note that the video has to match with the music.  I don't think there's a place in there for boosters crashing and exploding, not the way I interpreted it.

The group Two Steps From Hell has inspired me to produce several music videos.  You should check them out.  Their web site is http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/.  They typically release their albums on YouTube after a few weeks at https://www.youtube.com/user/TwoStepsFromTheMusic/videos.  Give a listen.  If you enjoy their music, purchase their digital albums through their web site.

The one criticism I have about your compilation is that you didn't include SES-10?  The whole point of landing rockets is to re-use them :)

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: 05/15/2017 03:17 am »

Oh, believe me, I already have the music selected for that one.  ;)

Offline spacekscblog

« Reply #19 on: 05/15/2017 09:42 am »

The one criticism I have about your compilation is that you didn't include SES-10?  The whole point of landing rockets is to re-use them :)

As I wrote upstream, it was the absence of any decent ASDS landing footage.  It was in at one point, but you never see it approach the ASDS.  The video freezes.  Then you see it sitting on the deck.

The music really needed something badass at the end.  The new footage of stage separation and return fit the bill.

Believe me, if I magically had access to the internal SpaceX video footage, this montage would be quite different.  ;D

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography