Author Topic: Elon Musk IAC Mars Speech - Sept. 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 411152 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Elon Musk IAC Mars Speech - Sept. 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #1240 on: 05/10/2017 02:28 pm »
>
>It is entirely plausible the less than a third of Earth normal gravity found on Mars will prevent the zero G medical issues which affect some people--and which are generally minor for people who exercise vigorously even in zero G.  If Mars gravity causes no issues, there is no reason to modify people at all.
>

With you until that sentence. Modifications to enhance DNA repair etc. could improve human radiation tolerance.

Carry on....
DM

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #1241 on: 05/10/2017 02:33 pm »
>
>It is entirely plausible the less than a third of Earth normal gravity found on Mars will prevent the zero G medical issues which affect some people--and which are generally minor for people who exercise vigorously even in zero G.  If Mars gravity causes no issues, there is no reason to modify people at all.
>

With you until that sentence. Modifications to enhance DNA repair etc. could improve human radiation tolerance.

Carry on....

No need to modify DNA. Nature has ways of dong that already. I wish I could stick around to see the ways in which humanity will evolve in the space age, but humanity evolving naturally is predicated on my not sticking around.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #1242 on: 05/11/2017 12:04 am »
No need to modify DNA. Nature has ways of dong that already. I wish I could stick around to see the ways in which humanity will evolve in the space age, but humanity evolving naturally is predicated on my not sticking around.

These days you've gotta say epigenetics to hand wave the millenniums it takes for populations to evolve.  Plus it's totally hip.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography