Author Topic: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Construction and Processing Updates  (Read 201518 times)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
Re: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Construction and Processing Updates
« Reply #60 on: 07/29/2016 10:34 pm »
TPS tile bonding for EM-1 is now taking place.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #61 on: 07/30/2016 02:51 am »
Nice to see flight hardware coming together
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #62 on: 08/03/2016 04:26 pm »
Astronauts Test Orion Docking Hatch For Future Missions

Engineers and astronauts conducted testing in a representative model of the Orion spacecraft at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston to gather the crew's feedback on the design of the docking hatch and on post-landing equipment operations. The testing, shown here with astronauts Stephanie Wilson, Karen Nyberg and Rick Mastracchio (L to R), was done to evaluate the equipment used during egress to ensure that a fully suited crew member carrying survival equipment can get out of the spacecraft through the docking hatch if necessary.

While the crew will primarily use the side hatch for entry and exit on Earth and the docking hatch to travel between Orion and a habitation module on long-duration deep space missions, the crew will need to be able to exit out of the docking hatch if wave heights in the Pacific Ocean upon splashdown are too high. The work is being done to help ensure all elements of Orion's design are safe and effective for the crew to use on future missions on the journey to Mars.

Image Credit: NASA
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #63 on: 08/04/2016 03:35 am »
Orion Backstage: Up the Hatch with Astronauts

NASA Johnson

Published on Aug 3, 2016

Engineers and astronauts conducted testing in a representative model of the Orion spacecraft at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston to gather the crew's feedback on the design of the docking hatch and on post-landing equipment operations.

The testing, shown here with astronauts Stephanie Wilson, Karen Nyberg and Rick Mastracchio (L to R), was done to evaluate the equipment used during egress to ensure that a fully suited crew member carrying survival equipment can get out of the spacecraft through the docking hatch if necessary.

While the crew will primarily use the side hatch for entry and exit on Earth and the docking hatch to travel between Orion and a habitation module on long-duration deep space missions, the crew will need to be able to exit out of the docking hatch if wave heights in the Pacific Ocean upon splashdown are too high. The work is being done to help ensure all elements of Orion's design are safe and effective for the crew to use on future missions on the journey to Mars.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #64 on: 08/04/2016 03:24 pm »
August 04, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-093

NASA Invites Media to Orion Water Drop Test, Update on Journey to Mars

Media are invited to watch engineers test a mockup of NASA’s Orion spacecraft in a simulated ocean splashdown Thursday, Aug. 25, at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia.

The test is planned for 3:30 p.m. EDT, but due to the nature of the testing, the exact time of the drop could change. Prior to the test, media will get a poolside update on the tests, as well as overall progress made in preparing Orion for NASA’s Journey to Mars.

Briefing participants will include:
•Bill Hill, deputy associate administrator for Exploration Systems Development, NASA Headquarters
•Dave Bowles, Langley director
•Lara Kearney, manager, Orion Crew and Service Module, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
•Mike Hawes, Orion program manager, Lockheed Martin

The deadline for U.S. citizens to apply for media access is noon Wednesday, Aug. 24. Interested media should contact Sasha Ellis by email at 757-864-5473 or [email protected]. Media must arrive by 2:30 p.m. at the Langley badge and pass office on the day of the test. Accreditation for international media is closed.

Orion has been undergoing a series of water impact tests in the center’s Hydro Impact Basin to help engineers understand how to best protect the crew and spacecraft when they return to Earth from deep space missions. The test capsule, coupled with the heat shield from Orion’s first spaceflight, will swing like a pendulum into Langley’s 20-foot-deep basin. Inside the capsule will be two test dummies – one representing a 105-pound woman and the other, a 220-pound man -- outfitted in spacesuits equipped with sensors. These sensors will provide critical data that will help NASA understand the forces crew members could experience when they splash down in the ocean.

Water impact testing is helping NASA evaluate how the Orion spacecraft may behave when landing under its parachutes in different wind conditions and wave heights. During Orion’s next flight test, Exploration Mission-1, the uncrewed spacecraft will launch on NASA’s Space Launch System rocket, travel more than 40,000 miles beyond the moon, and return at speeds of up to 25,000 mph.

To learn more about Langley's many contributions to Orion, visit:

http://go.nasa.gov/1vKhx1j

For more information on Orion, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/orion
Jacques :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Heat Shield has arrived at KSC!

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/08/orions-heat-shield-kennedy-em-1/

By Chris Gebhardt.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18196
  • Likes Given: 12155
« Reply #67 on: 08/29/2016 07:43 am »
Heat Shield has arrived at KSC!

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/08/orions-heat-shield-kennedy-em-1/

By Chris Gebhardt.
Great article again Chris G, per the usual.

Minor nit: the final image in the article is of a backshell TPS panel and has little to do with the scope of this article: the primary heatshield.

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #68 on: 08/29/2016 08:43 am »
TPS tile bonding for EM-1 is now taking place.

More info on this here: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/tile-bonding-begins-for-orion-s-first-mission-atop-space-launch-system-rocket

Interesting quote with regards to the reusability of Orion components:
Quote from: Bob Granath
Quote from:  Joy Huff
The fact that Orion lands in the ocean, requires we replace the tiles after each mission. The tiles are waterproofed to protect them from fresh water, such as rain. But during re-entry the waterproofing material burns out of the tiles so they do absorb salt water while in the ocean and that adds contaminants that would make their reuse impossible.
Installing TPS tiles will be a part of preparation for each mission. The work taking place now will help perfect the process.
« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 08:47 am by woods170 »

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #69 on: 08/29/2016 01:37 pm »

Which suggests the rest of the vehicle can be reused. Interesting.

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #70 on: 08/29/2016 03:13 pm »

Which suggests the rest of the vehicle can be reused. Interesting.
That's exactly why I found the quotes interesting.

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #71 on: 08/29/2016 04:46 pm »
Significant reprocessing.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #72 on: 08/29/2016 05:01 pm »

Any chance the significant reprocessing will cost less than half the cost of a new capsule?

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #73 on: 08/29/2016 06:19 pm »
I see you master the British art of understatement.

From my sources:
After having landed in the ocean, and having spent a good number of hours floating in salt water the spacecraft will have to be stripped back to the bare pressure hull to get rid of the salt. None of the RCS engines, tankage and plumbing can be re-used due to a high likelyhood of salt water immersion into the innards of the RCS system. The same applies to just about everything else outside the pressure hull. Re-use of the backshell panels requires replacement of the tiles and re-certification of the carrier panels themselves and the backshell carrier structure. The same applies to the primary heatshield carrier structure. The folks over at SpaceX can testify to this having almost completed their efforts to "re-use" a flown Dragon 1. That particular "re-use" is basically a re-use of the pressure hull and certain stuff located inside the pressure hull. Just about everything else has been replaced with brand-new items. Re-use of Orion, if any, will walk pretty much the same path.

According to my sources the re-use of significant elements of Orion is not a serious option right now given the low projected flight-rate. The big exception is a subset of the avionics. For the rest it's cheaper to just build a brand new spacecraft.
Things could have been very different if the original plan had been followed: land Orion on land. But heck, the performance issues with Ares I threw a wrench in those plans.
For the reasons above Boeing has chosen land as the primary landing surface for CST-100 and a set of similar reasons is one of the driving forces behind SpaceX wanting to land Dragon 2 propulsively on land.
« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 06:21 pm by woods170 »

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #74 on: 08/31/2016 07:13 pm »
Glad to see the Guppy is still there, just like in the old Apollo days. Good aircrafts never dies. "Hey, you little Orion,stop bragging about. I carried your grandpa Apollo in his infancy."
« Last Edit: 08/31/2016 07:14 pm by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #75 on: 08/31/2016 07:34 pm »
Glad to see the Guppy is still there, just like in the old Apollo days. Good aircrafts never dies. "Hey, you little Orion,stop bragging about. I carried your grandpa Apollo in his infancy."

Not this Guppy.  This is an ex Airbus Super Guppy Turbine.  The original NASA Super Guppy was retired 20 years ago or so.

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #76 on: 08/31/2016 07:35 pm »
If Orion can hit a 100 mile landing ellipse, it could land in lake superior if salt water corrosion is a problem. Helicopter recovery could reduce the time spent in water by quite some time.

Online catdlr

« Reply #77 on: 08/31/2016 09:01 pm »
Orion Ground Test Article drop test Aug. 25, 2016

NASA Langley Research Center

Published on Aug 25, 2016
Engineers at NASA's Langley Research Center conducted a splashdown test of the Orion Crew Module Ground Test Article on Aug. 25, 2016. The goal of this series of tests to gather data on simulated splashdowns in stressful landing scenarios. Video credit: NASA/Gary Banziger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaV_ADVwUnE?t=001

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #78 on: 09/03/2016 12:03 am »
Orion Jettison Motor Test

SciNews

Published on Sep 2, 2016
Aerojet Rocketdyne successfully tested its third development jettison motor for NASA’s Orion spacecraft, at its facility in Rancho Cordova, California, on 31 August 2016. The jettison motor is part of Orion’s Launch Abort System (LAS), assuring the separation of the crew module from the LAS so that parachutes can be deployed for a safe splashdown.

Online catdlr

« Reply #79 on: 09/29/2016 03:01 am »
Divers Train for Orion Recovery at NASA's Johnson Space Center

NASAKennedy

Published on Sep 28, 2016
A team of U.S. Navy divers practiced Orion underway recovery techniques Sept. 20-22 in the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston to prepare for the first test flight of an uncrewed Orion spacecraft with the agency's Space Launch System rocket during Exploration Mission 1. The training will prepare the recovery team, Ground Systems Development and Operations and Orion manufacturer Lockheed Martin Underway Recovery Test 5 in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California in October.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography