Author Topic: External Tank 94 (ET-94) to complete Endeavour exhibit  (Read 86816 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: External Tank 94 (ET-94) to complete Endeavour exhibit
« Reply #80 on: 05/18/2016 08:46 pm »
I plan to drive over this afternoon to visit it, it's just three blocks away.  I'll attempt to take some pictures but I think the ones posted in the thread above and news links will be better.  I do plan to be on site Friday midnight for the start of the move and follow it until it leaves the Marin area.

Upadate:  I had to laugh at my own comment.  Only in Los Angeles do we drive to go somewhere three blocks away.  :o
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 09:27 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #82 on: 05/18/2016 08:54 pm »
thanks for the lift....

from marinetraffic.com

SHANNON DANN departed from
Port MARINA DEL REY

at 2016-05-18 13:34 Local Time (2016-05-18 20:34 UTC)

Online Chris Bergin

I plan to drive over this afternoon to visit it, it's just three blocks away.  I'll attempt to take some pictures but I think the ones posted in the thread above and news links will be better.  I do plan to be on site Friday midnight for the start of the move and follow it until it leaves the Marin area.

Upadate:  I had to laugh at my own comment.  Only in Los Angeles do we drive to go somewhere three blocks away.  :o

Cool! The more photos, the better. :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

« Reply #84 on: 05/18/2016 10:05 pm »

Cool! The more photos, the better. :)

It's hard to beat PSloss pictures he's posting on L2.  He apparently got a Press pass.  I wouldn't be able to get that close until the move on Friday evening.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 10:07 pm by catdlr »

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #85 on: 05/19/2016 02:17 am »
A few more taken this evening. It's kind of far away, so not the best quality. I did catch a playful sea lion in the foreground of the first couple photos, though. ;)
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #86 on: 05/19/2016 04:50 pm »

For all there in LA:  enjoy the move through the streets--should be quite a spectacle!   Re: final posture in the vertical:  I'm sure glad I visited Endeavour at CSC in her current config--it was great to see the umbilical wells up-close, as well as the TPS, etc etc.

Offline PhotoEngineer

• SoCal
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #87 on: 05/19/2016 10:54 pm »
Not sure what is in the L2 section but here are some of my images from the off load in LA yesterday.
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/gallery/nggallery/events/ET-94-journey-to-California-Science-Center

Is anyone else planning on watching it travel through the streets? I'll be around, blue backpack.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #88 on: 05/20/2016 12:55 am »
Some photos I took in Marina del Rey today..

Offline catdlr

« Reply #89 on: 05/20/2016 08:33 am »
Not sure what is in the L2 section but here are some of my images from the off load in LA yesterday.
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/gallery/nggallery/events/ET-94-journey-to-California-Science-Center

Is anyone else planning on watching it travel through the streets? I'll be around, blue backpack.

I'll be in the area of Mindanao and Lincoln to the Marina Freeway.  Tony De La Rosa.

Those interested in viewing the tank Friday, I've provided an overhead shot where there is a free parking and a short walk.  Don't attempt to park at any other location, either private slip parking for expensive restaurant parking, also CHP is out patrolling for violators.

Take state 90 (The marina freeway) west from the 405, exit at the end, left onto Mindanao, left at Lincoln, right at Fiji Way, parking on the right.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2016 08:35 am by catdlr »

Offline PhotoEngineer

• SoCal
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #90 on: 05/20/2016 07:00 pm »
Approximate time / locations during the transport.

Leave Marina ­ Approximately 12:01 am, May 21, 2016

Arbor Vitae between Inglewood Ave. and Rosewood Ave. ­ Approximately 8:00 to 9:30 am

Manchester & Vermont ­ Approximately 2:30 to 4:00 pm

Vermont & MLK ­ Approximately 6:30 to 8:00 pm

Expo Park ­ Approximately 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm

Straight driving pace: 5 mph.
Corners are expected to take ~ 30 minutes.

Online Chris Bergin

ET-94's Journey Across Los Angeles and Inglewood and Arrival at the California Science Center

What: "Mission 26: ET Comes Home" still has over 16 miles left to go, through the streets of Los Angeles and Inglewood. ET-94 will be placed on dollies and pulled by a truck to its final destination near the California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Pavilion in a 18-20 hour journey on May 21, 2016. On the way, the external tank will cross over the 405 freeway, and pass landmarks like The Forum.

"Mission 26: ET Comes Home" will come to an official end at the California Science Center, when ET-94 arrives at its future home. The journey will come to a ceremonial end in Exposition Park on Bill Robertson Lane with a photo opportunity as ET-94 crosses a paper chain finish line made by elementary school students at the on-site Alexander Science Center School. The photo opportunity will take place near the intersection of Exposition Park Drive/Bill Robertson Lane, in front of the Los Angeles Coliseum. The sidewalks will be available to all media for the photo opportunity, and for those wanting to view ET-94 before it turns into its future display location next to the California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Pavilion. The public will also have access to the sidewalk on Bill Robertson Lane and Exposition Park Drive. A restricted area for media only will be available across the intersection after 6:15 pm, soon before ET-94 is expected to enter Exposition Park. If you wish to have access to this area, you may show a business card or badge/ID card from your outlet. No credentials of any sort are required for the sidewalks.

Media are also welcome to film on State Drive near the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Display Pavilion, as ET-94 is placed onto the concrete pads and positioned for display. California Science Center spokespeople will be available in this area for interviews at the conclusion of the operation. Parking for satellite vans will not be available directly next to the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Display Pavilion -- media parking on State Drive will not be possible past the back doors of the California Science Center, since the area near the pavilion will be used as a work zone. Instead satellite vehicle parking will be available on Exposition Park Drive.

When: Saturday, May 21, 2016
Leave Marina -­ Approximately 12:01 am, May 21, 2016
Arbor Vitae between Inglewood Ave. and Rosewood Ave. ­- Approximately 8:00 to 9:30 am
Manchester & Vermont -­ Approximately 2:30 to 4:00 pm
Vermont & MLK -­ Approximately 6:30 to 8:00 pm
Expo Park -­ Approximately 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm
*Please note these are approximate timeframes when ET-94 may be passing by specific locations. All projected times are subject to change at any point on May 21, 2016, the day of the transport.

Where: The route is as follows –

Marina Del Rey parking lot to Fiji Way
    Fiji Way to Lincoln (PCH)
    Lincoln to Mindanao Way
    Mindanao Way to CA-90
    CA-90 to Culver Blvd
    Culver Blvd. to Lincoln via transition ramp
    Lincoln to Loyola Blvd
    Loyola Blvd. to Westchester Pkwy
    Westchester Parkway turns into Arbor Vitae St. at Airport Blvd; Arbor Vitae St. to La Brea Ave
    La Brea Ave. to Manchester Blvd
    Manchester Blvd. to Vermont Ave
    Vermont Ave. to Martin Luther King Blvd
    Martin Luther King Blvd. to Exposition Park

The conclusion will be in Exposition Park, Los Angeles

Media are urged to enter the museum property from Figueroa and 39th St/ Exposition Park Drive, and park in the main parking structure, though satellite vans/trucks may park along Exposition Park Drive, along the curb next to the Coliseum. Much of State Drive will be taken up by work vehicles and cordoned off, and parking will not be available west of the back entrance of the Science Center.

Who: California Science Center spokespeople, including President and CEO Jeffrey Rudolph, will be along the route, along with the following astronauts, who will rotate availability throughout the day:

Daniel W. (Dan) Bursch
Andrew J. (Drew) Feustel
Edward Michael (Mike) Fincke
Kenneth T. (Ken) Ham www.AstronautKenHam.com
Kathryn P. (Kay) Hire
Sandra H. (Sandy) Magnus
John D. (Danny) Olivas  www.AstronautDannyOlivas.com | @OMS117
Charles J. (Charlie) Precourt
Garrett E. Reisman www.AstronautGarrettReisman.com | @astro_g_dogg
Richard A. (Rick) Searfoss
Steven R. (Steve) Swanson www.AstronautSteveSwanson.com

General Info: Please visit www.californiasciencecenter.org for more information on "Mission 26:ET Comes Home."
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #92 on: 05/21/2016 05:55 am »
Visited the ET-94 parking area at sunset before its midnight rollout from Marina Del Rey  Good size crowd of onlookers genuinely interested in the spectacle. Overheard some interesting conversations including "Where do the astronauts sit?" "is this full of fuel?" and "is this the one that blew up?": :P  Well heeled crowd at the California Science Center's Discovery ball included a welcoming committee and some folks whom I'm not certain were actually astronauts.

Got a few interesting shots of hardware detail worthy of documentation as well.

Offline craigcocca

• Launches: STS-129, 131; Landings: STS-125, 128
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #93 on: 05/21/2016 07:45 am »
Live from Marina del Rey at the parade start!
« Last Edit: 05/21/2016 03:43 pm by craigcocca »
-- Craig

"Why don't you fix your little problem and light this candle..."

Offline catdlr

« Reply #94 on: 05/21/2016 10:07 am »
Was at the corner of Lincoln and Mindanao and got these.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #95 on: 05/21/2016 10:08 am »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #96 on: 05/21/2016 10:08 am »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #97 on: 05/21/2016 10:12 am »
That's that for me above.  Waited from midnight till 2:45 just to get these.  Truck waited forever at Fiji and Lincoln and then again at this corner.  I walked with it to the next intersection, just before the very tight turn onto the Freeway and than they had to stop again to take down a signal.  Decided to walk home two blocks away (it's cold).  At the rate it's going, it's going to take a long time to get across town.   Lot's of traffic guys, Power, communication works taking down wires, cops, fireman, just a legion of workers to get this baby down the road.
« Last Edit: 05/21/2016 10:14 am by catdlr »

Online Chris Bergin

That's that for me above.  Waited from midnight till 2:45 just to get these.  Truck waited forever at Fiji and Lincoln and then again at this corner.  I walked with it to the next intersection, just before the very tight turn onto the Freeway and than they had to stop again to take down a signal.  Decided to walk home two blocks away (it's cold).  At the rate it's going, it's going to take a long time to get across town.   Lot's of traffic guys, Power, communication works taking down wires, cops, fireman, just a legion of workers to get this baby down the road.

Great work Tony and all!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #99 on: 05/21/2016 01:45 pm »

Great work Tony and all!
At least we didn't have to worry about the wingspan this time! ;D Great coverage thank you! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography