Author Topic: Cloud-Aerosol Transport System  (Read 3186 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
Cloud-Aerosol Transport System
« on: 11/14/2014 06:59 pm »
NASA | CATS in Space Keep Eyes on Atmosphere

Published on Nov 14, 2014
NASA Goddard is preparing to demonstrate for the fist time in space, a 3-wavelength, laser remote sensing instrument. The Cloud-Aerosol Transport System or CATS will measure clouds and aerosols in the Earth's atmosphere. This cost-effective, technology demonstration will be deployed on the International Space Station as early as December 2014.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlYYr0tw4do
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
Re: Cloud-Aerosol Transport System
« Reply #1 on: 02/26/2015 07:04 pm »
NASA | CATS Up and Running on the ISS

Published on Feb 26, 2015
On January 22, 2015, the Cloud-Aerosol Transport System (CATS) was installed on the International Space Station. The team monitored the progress of the installation from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, where CATS was designed and built. Once installed, the team powered up the system and initiated configuration procedures. Once set up, the telescope door was opened and they prepared to collect data.
CATS is a lidar remote sensing instrument that will provide range-resolved profile measurements of atmospheric aerosols and clouds. Data from the instrument will be used to determine the height and thickness of the cloud or aerosol layer, as well as discriminate between different particle types. The instrument is intended to operate on-orbit for at least six months, and up to three years.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2017 12:02 pm »
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-s-cats-concludes-successful-mission-on-space-station
Launched on Jan. 10, 2015, CATS was designed to operate at least six months, but lasted five times its life expectancy. On Oct. 30, 2017, the onboard power and data system stopped working and could not be resuscitated.

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: 08/09/2018 05:05 am »
Olaf,
I noticed that the CATS was relocated from its original EFU #3 location to EFU#8 on the JEM Exposed Facility.
Can you tell me when the relocation took place?
Thanks.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #4 on: 08/09/2018 07:13 am »
Olaf,
I noticed that the CATS was relocated from its original EFU #3 location to EFU#8 on the JEM Exposed Facility.
Can you tell me when the relocation took place?
Thanks.
March, 27
https://blogs.nasa.gov/stationreport/2018/03/27/iss-daily-summary-report-3272018/
Cloud-Aerosol Transport System (CATS) Relocation: Overnight, ground controllers relocated the CATS payload from the Japanese Experiment Module (JEM) Exposed Facility Unit (EFU)-3 to EFU-8.  CATS operational power was enabled for 4 minutes but no current draw was observed, which indicates CATS is failed. CATS is now off and will remain in the current location until returned on the SpaceX-17 vehicle. Since no current draw was observed at the new location, there is increased confidence that the EFU-3 site will be ready to support the Orbiting Carbon Observatory (OCO)-3 payload arriving on SpX-17.

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: 08/09/2018 10:11 am »
Perfect. Thanks!! I appreciate your prompt response.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #6 on: 08/09/2018 10:57 am »
You are welcome.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island