Author Topic: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Service Module updates  (Read 173852 times)

Offline Arcas

• United States
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Orion Service Module
« Reply #120 on: 05/23/2016 05:21 pm »
Quick question: Why do we call it the "European Service Module" instead of just the "Orion Service Module"? We don't say "American Orion Capsule" and "American SLS Upper Stage" or whatever.
The risk I took was calculated, but boy am I bad at math.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #121 on: 05/23/2016 05:58 pm »
Quick question: Why do we call it the "European Service Module" instead of just the "Orion Service Module"? We don't say "American Orion Capsule" and "American SLS Upper Stage" or whatever.
I am guessing it is because I think there is only a contract to supply the ESM for just the first mission.  While unlikely, this does leave the option open for for it to be replaced down the road with an American version.  I suspect the ESM will continue to be supplied as needed for further missions once the details and timing of those get finalized.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/mpcv/orion_feature_011613.html
« Last Edit: 05/23/2016 06:00 pm by Eric Hedman »

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #122 on: 05/23/2016 07:09 pm »
I am guessing it is because I think there is only a contract to supply the ESM for just the first mission.  While unlikely, this does leave the option open for for it to be replaced down the road with an American version.  I suspect the ESM will continue to be supplied as needed for further missions once the details and timing of those get finalized.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/mpcv/orion_feature_011613.html

Well, it's not like the service module can be re-used, it is totally an expendable piece of the Orion spacecraft.  So, yeah, either NASA needs to let a contract for an American firm to build service modules for future flights, or the ESM can't be a one-off...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #123 on: 05/24/2016 02:08 am »

The Orion Service Module design is based on ESA's Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) spacecraft, and is not a NASA design.

So since it's based on a European design, it's called the European Service Module.  No doubt if it was NASA designed and U.S. built, it would just be called the "Service Module".
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Arcas

• United States
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #124 on: 05/24/2016 04:44 am »

The Orion Service Module design is based on ESA's Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) spacecraft, and is not a NASA design.

So since it's based on a European design, it's called the European Service Module.  No doubt if it was NASA designed and U.S. built, it would just be called the "Service Module".
Yes, obviously, but why? Why does Europe and NASA have to specify it. If NASA isn't slapping "American" on the title of everything they build, why does Europe have to.
The risk I took was calculated, but boy am I bad at math.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #125 on: 05/24/2016 08:24 am »
I disagree. Arrays which can be canted during engine boosts are pretty non standard (see Orion EM-1 youtube video).
I was talking about the solar arrays themselves. The canting feature is in a separate system known as the solar array drive assembly. It's the set of hinge-motors that structurally connect the solar array to the main body of the ESM.
The hinge was always going to have a motor to allow the solar array to rotate through the long-axis of the deployed array. Now a second motorized hinge has been added to allow the solar array to also cant upwards and downwards.
But with regards to the solar arrays themselves: they are pretty much standard constructions. Only the solar cells attached to them differ in that they are suitable for deep-space use. Much like the ones on the Rosetta solar arrays.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #126 on: 05/24/2016 08:46 am »

Yes, obviously, but why? Why does Europe and NASA have to specify it. If NASA isn't slapping "American" on the title of everything they build, why does Europe have to.
Wrong assumption. Europe is not slapping the European title on to it. NASA did in fact.
Orion has a Service Module. That Service Module consist of four major components:

1. Crew Module Adaptor (CMA).
This is the 'cradle' that the CM is nesting in and forms the wide top part of the Service Module. This component is the structural 'bridge' between the CM and the ESM. It remains attached to the CM until just shortly before re-entry. The CMA is constructed in the USA.

2. European Service Module (ESM).
This is the Service Module component that attaches to the other end of the CMA. It provides the CM with electrical power, the gases and fluids for ECLSS, via an umbilical running thru and outside the CMA. It also provides (amongst others) attitude control, active thermal control, passive thermal control and propulsion for the entire Orion spacecraft. However, it is important to note that the ESM is only one (but rather important) component of the Service Module. It does NOT constitute the entire Service Module. The ESM is constructed in Europe. The main propulsion system is US-made however given that it consists of a re-purposed space shuttle OMS engine.

3. Spacecraft Adaptor (SA)
The backside of the ESM interfaces with the top-ring of the SA. The bottom-ring of the SA interfaces with the launch vehicle adaptor. The SA is one of two parts of the Service Module that is discarded during launch into orbit. Orion separates from the launch vehicle at the SA-ESM separation-plane, leaving the SA attached to the launcher. The SA is constructed in the USA.

4. Spacecraft Adaptor Jettisoned Panels (SAJP)
The SA, bottomside of the CMA and outside of the ESM are protected, during launch, from the effects of high-speed flight thru the lower part of Earth atmosphere. This is done by encapsulting the SA and ESM in a barrel-like construction. This barrel consists of three jettisonable panels. The panels interface at the top with the bottom-outer-ring of the CMA and they interface at the bottom with the bottom-ring of the SA. The SAJP are constructed in the USA.

So, as you can see, the ESM is only part of the entire Service Module for Orion. The component needed a name. NASA chose to name it the ESM because it is the only one of the four major components that is not produced in the USA, but in Europe in stead.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2016 11:19 am by woods170 »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #127 on: 06/01/2016 08:46 pm »

This is to differentiate the ESA-designed and -supplied module from the presumptive American Service Module that I'm guessing is supposed to fly from EM-3 onwards.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline SgtPoivre

• Paris - France
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #128 on: 06/10/2016 09:37 pm »
For people living in Ohio or nearby, NASA Plum Brook Station is having an open house this weekend.
Visitors will be able to visit their test facilities and see directly the Orion STA Service Module currently being tested there.

More information here: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-glenn-s-plum-brook-station-invites-the-public-to-visit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #129 on: 06/11/2016 11:01 am »

This is to differentiate the ESA-designed and -supplied module from the presumptive American Service Module that I'm guessing is supposed to fly from EM-3 onwards.
Sorry, but no. That is not even remotely the case.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #130 on: 06/12/2016 06:13 am »
For people living in Ohio or nearby, NASA Plum Brook Station is having an open house this weekend.
Visitors will be able to visit their test facilities and see directly the Orion STA Service Module currently being tested there.

More information here: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-glenn-s-plum-brook-station-invites-the-public-to-visit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ESA is there as well

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #131 on: 06/12/2016 11:52 am »

Okay, then; if I'm wrong, what's the right answer?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #132 on: 06/12/2016 02:16 pm »

Okay, then; if I'm wrong, what's the right answer?
Under current negotiations EM-3 will fly with an ESM. There are currently no concrete plans to invest in "doing" an American Service Module (although LockMart really would have loved to have one..but that station has passed). My sources also states that the IP for the ESM will not be passed to NASA. ESA knows they are holding the golden eggs. ESM gives them a golden opportunity to stay "in" the US Exploration program. "In" as in participating in the planned missions. Not just with the ESM, but with crew participation as well. ESM is no longer about bartering for "just" continued participation in ISS.

Offline hektor

« Reply #133 on: 06/12/2016 07:04 pm »
There is only one little issue with your nice scenario : that the real decision makers, the ESA member states, go along. They are notorious for preferring development to recurring production. See ATV which died after the fifth copy.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #134 on: 06/12/2016 08:50 pm »
There is only one little issue with your nice scenario : that the real decision makers, the ESA member states, go along. They are notorious for preferring development to recurring production. See ATV which died after the fifth copy.
No problem there IMO. The second ESM (for EM-2) is significantly more developed than the first one (for EM-1). Preliminary studies are already being performed into the capabilities required for the third one and beyond. Besides, one example (ATV) makes for lousy predictions.

Offline hektor

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #137 on: 06/19/2016 02:37 pm »
>
Europe’s Orion service module shipment to U.S. delayed by three months  :-[

Oh, for the love of...  >:(
You should not even remotely be surprised. Building and integrating your flight hardware BEFORE the CDR is "in the bag" is THE guarantee that things will get delayed. ESA and Airbus knew this and took the gamble anyway. So, it bit them in the behind. I'm surprised the delay is "only" three months.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2016 02:38 pm by woods170 »

Offline Jet Black

« Reply #138 on: 06/20/2016 09:33 am »

Prior to the ATV, ESA had no experience with man-rated craft, so this was actually a really important development for them (which has served to generate knowledge useful for the ESV).
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Offline _INTER_

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #139 on: 06/20/2016 06:46 pm »
Prior to the ATV, ESA had no experience with man-rated craft, so this was actually a really important development for them (which has served to generate knowledge useful for the ESV).
Though they got some knowledge about man-rating from Spacelabs, no?
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 06:46 pm by _INTER_ »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography