Author Topic: Endeavour @ California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum  (Read 177411 times)

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
Yes, I noticed that model they had off to the side of the future facility.  I assume that it is an enclosed/indoor facility, although that feature I assume is absent from the model for viewability reasons.  It will be very nice indeed to have the full stack upright in there.  I'm sure it will be quite a challenge to get the external tank to the museum over the streets of Los Angeles, however!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Yes, I noticed that model they had off to the side of the future facility.  I assume that it is an enclosed/indoor facility, although that feature I assume is absent from the model for viewability reasons.  It will be very nice indeed to have the full stack upright in there.  I'm sure it will be quite a challenge to get the external tank to the museum over the streets of Los Angeles, however!

It won't be a real one I believe. Earthquake requirements has a play in that

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
I was looking for any newer illustrations of Endeavour's new home.  I wasn't lucky but I did fine this short update from the architectural firm involved.

http://www.evidencedesign.com/work--samuel-oschin-air-and-space-center.html

This week our friends at the California Science Center opened up Endeavour, climbing through the hatch to reconfigure some payload bay items and repopulate the middeck with lockers seats, cargo bags, and the escape pole. Now to fill that payload bay…

[Update 2014_09_25: updated broken link above. TD]
« Last Edit: 09/25/2014 07:19 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
It won't be a real one I believe. Earthquake requirements has a play in that

CSC declined the offer for KSCVC's tank, but took the SRB's. Leads me to believe Endeavor will be help up by some steel structure with an "ET shell" built around it. I'd be surprised if the SRB's even bear any load. I'll bet the whole thing rests on some ET aft dome mockup with careful attention towards hiding the structure. Of the 3 displays, I think this one is the most interesting from an engineering perspective.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
dont think I have seen this image of the planned exhibit hall before:

http://evidencedesign.com/work/air-and-space-center/

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Space Shuttle Endeavour Will Go Vertical Again | Video Interview

Published on May 20, 2014
The retired shuttle's new home, the California Science Center, has plans to display the orbiter in launch configuration, equipped with solid rocket boosters and external tank.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline dave1938

• KSC area Florida
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 65
During this Thanksgiving, and profiting from a visit to a friend, I made a visit to Endeavour in her temporary exhibit in Los Angeles (just after getting off the plane, I couldn't wait :) ) Most of my pictures are similar to the ones already posted, but I tried to get a couple of "new" perspectives.

As an aside comment, I was delighted to examine with my naked eye the tiles impact, including the slightly melted one that I could remember watching live in orbit with the OBSS' cameras, the DAT presentations and the post-flight damage assessments in L2. I have a question for someone with a fresher memory than mine about one of them, however (the one showing the red adhesive): to me, it looks like that was caused post-flight, since it doesn't appear to be burned even though it's facing the direction of motion during re-entry. I asked one of the curators, and she told me they were all caused by launch impacts (I asked her if she knew about the specific history of that one, since it was pretty different-looking from the others)- was she giving a general answer as I suspect? Of course, that doesn't detract from the formidable job these people (volunteers?) do with passion and enthusiasm, day after day, to the very numerous amount of people visiting the exhibit!

In any case, here are some detailed views of the youngster orbiter in the fleet:

The damage with the red patch was not there during re-entry. If it had been it would have been a bit melted. The red patch is a pad which is bonded to the tile on the side to be bonded to the vehicle aluminum skin.
D-1938

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
Just an FYI, but the California Science Center is planning to open Endeavour's payload bay doors for the first time in 3 years next month... The event is known as "Go for Payload" and will involve installing a secret item inside OV-105's cargo bay on October 25.

This is the first of a couple of stages that will lead up to Endeavour being placed in vertical position at her new exhibition facility (the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center) at the Science Center in 2018!

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaScienceCenter/photos/a.96053644637.109056.46092059637/10153193316449638/?type=1

« Last Edit: 09/25/2014 08:10 am by TheFallen »

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
How do they state this will be the first operational orbiter that has the bay doors opened outside of the processing facility? First off, they are not operational orbiters (Sadly) and umm... Atlantis had her doors opened at the Exhibit location.... so..... I am not clear on how they think this??

Below is what they are stating lol

"This will be the first time the payload bay doors of an operational orbiter have been opened anywhere except the specialized processing facilities at the Kennedy Space Center or the Palmdale assembly facility."
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
I guess, the KSCVC is Kennedy Space Center property, technically.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
How do they state this will be the first operational orbiter that has the bay doors opened outside of the processing facility? First off, they are not operational orbiters (Sadly) and umm... Atlantis had her doors opened at the Exhibit location.... so..... I am not clear on how they think this??

Below is what they are stating lol

"This will be the first time the payload bay doors of an operational orbiter have been opened anywhere except the specialized processing facilities at the Kennedy Space Center or the Palmdale assembly facility."

The Science Center basically forgot that Atlantis exists...hence the inaccurate info  :P

Since we're owning up to mistakes, it will be 2 years since Endeavour had her payload bay doors opened...not 3 (her doors were closed on June 20, 2012)

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
It's funny because people keep telling the CSC that they're information is incorrect, but they keep posting that they're the first ones to do it. I don't know if this is for extra publicity or CSC is just really not paying attention at all.

They said that's it's the first time the doors have been opened anywhere other than an OPF or Palmdale. KSCVC is not an OPF.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
To be fair, I understand the payload bay doors were opened up in space a couple times too.  ;)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
It's funny because people keep telling the CSC that they're information is incorrect, but they keep posting that they're the first ones to do it. I don't know if this is for extra publicity or CSC is just really not paying attention at all.

They said that's it's the first time the doors have been opened anywhere other than an OPF or Palmdale. KSCVC is not an OPF.

Well, they are just a few miles away...lol. 

And I remember reading somewhere that one door would stay open after it is placed on the ET/SRB stack and thet one of the Spacehabs would be placed inside.  I think it was on collectSpace.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Well, they are just a few miles away...lol. 

And I remember reading somewhere that one door would stay open after it is placed on the ET/SRB stack and thet one of the Spacehabs would be placed inside.  I think it was on collectSpace.

I read that too. I still wonder what payload is being put in Endeavour.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Worries me that they are tasked with taking care of her but do not even know she is not operational lol, AND that Atlantis beat her out with the Payload Bay Door opening.... haha
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida