Author Topic: Bigelow Aerospace Update and Discussion Thread (3)  (Read 661092 times)

Offline Occupymars

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 58
Re: Bigelow Aerospace Update Thread (3)
« Reply #20 on: 01/16/2013 03:43 pm »
Did you guys fail to read Chris and Pete's article? This has all been reported already.

Check out the news site, it'll help you.
Chris and Pete's article speculates that the BEAM module will be transported by the dragons trunk. A reputable organization Bloomberg Businessweek in their article(16/01/12) claims that they were told by bigelow that this is indeed the case. If that's not worth reporting then I don't know what is. 
« Last Edit: 01/16/2013 03:44 pm by Occupymars »
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #21 on: 01/16/2013 06:53 pm »
Apparently, Bigelow plans to have two BEAM units ready by 2016.  One is the spare, of course, but that got me thinking.

Possible BEAM Application
HSF Mission Module

* Modified BEAM with Dragonrider- or CST-100-derived life support on the opposite side to the docking port;
* Base permanently attached to Falcon-9 upper stage, which will also provide RCS and, through Dragon-type solar arrays, electrical power;
* Dragon rides on top of BEAM or, if a Bigelow mission, the module will be enclosed with a SpaceX-standard 5.2m PLF.  Alternate launch vehicle is either EELV-M (Delta-IV (5,4) or Atlas-V-5x2);
* Central spine of module has five or six 'flower petal' work station mountings that fold out to the full width of the module from flush against the spine as the module inflates.

The module could fly underneath a Dragon when launched by Falcon Heavy for a single launch multi-week mission.  Application: Lower-cost space tourism or short-term science.  The module could also fly attached to a Golden Spike-style Centaur EDS as the hab module for a lunar fly-around or orbiter mission.

Reason for being: Possible Bigelow competitor to DragonLab.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Occupymars

« Reply #22 on: 01/16/2013 07:23 pm »
Bigelow Expandable Activity Module Installation Animation> :) http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/beam_feature.html note: from the looks of this animation transportation of the BEAM to iss will not need an extended dragon trunk.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2013 07:35 pm by Occupymars »
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #23 on: 01/16/2013 08:20 pm »
Apparently, Bigelow plans to have two BEAM units ready by 2016.  One is the spare, of course, but that got me thinking.

Possible BEAM Application
HSF Mission Module

* Modified BEAM with Dragonrider- or CST-100-derived life support on the opposite side to the docking port;
* Base permanently attached to Falcon-9 upper stage, which will also provide RCS and, through Dragon-type solar arrays, electrical power;
* Dragon rides on top of BEAM or, if a Bigelow mission, the module will be enclosed with a SpaceX-standard 5.2m PLF.  Alternate launch vehicle is either EELV-M (Delta-IV (5,4) or Atlas-V-5x2);
* Central spine of module has five or six 'flower petal' work station mountings that fold out to the full width of the module from flush against the spine as the module inflates.

The module could fly underneath a Dragon when launched by Falcon Heavy for a single launch multi-week mission.  Application: Lower-cost space tourism or short-term science.  The module could also fly attached to a Golden Spike-style Centaur EDS as the hab module for a lunar fly-around or orbiter mission.

Reason for being: Possible Bigelow competitor to DragonLab.

If you are going to modify the BEAM you could simply fly a Genesis II.  It already has solar arrays.
http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/genesis-2-specs.php

Offline rklaehn

• interplanetary telemetry plumber
  • germany
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #24 on: 01/16/2013 08:49 pm »
Looks like it is roughly spherical and about 3 to 3.5m outer diameter, which would give a pressurized volume of about 14m^3.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #25 on: 01/16/2013 10:02 pm »
Very interesting article on Bigelow's Alpha Station plans with prices:
http://www.space.com/19291-inflatable-alpha-station-bigelow-aerospace.html

That pricing is being categorized as:

•Astronaut Flight Costs: $26.25 - $36.75 million for a 60-day stay, depending on taxi selected.
•Lease Block Cost: $25 million for exclusive use of and control over 110 cubic meters of volume for a two-month period.
•Naming Rights: Full Alpha Station yearly for $25 million; half of Alpha Station (one BA 330 module) yearly for $12.5 million.
[...]
Bigelow Aerospace would be able to transport an astronaut to Alpha Station for $26.25 million for countries, companies or even visiting individuals that wish to utilize SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule. Using Boeing’s CST-100 capsule and the Atlas 5 rocket, astronauts can be launched to Alpha Station for $36.75 million per seat, company officials said.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2013 10:35 pm by yg1968 »

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #26 on: 01/16/2013 10:08 pm »
High res images have been released
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #27 on: 01/16/2013 10:19 pm »
High res images have been released

That bottom image confirms Node 3 Aft will be the berthing port.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8778
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #29 on: 01/16/2013 10:55 pm »
NASA to Test Expandable Habitat on ISS

Published on Jan 16, 2013
NASA TV

NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver announced Wednesday a newly planned addition to the International Space Station that will use the orbiting laboratory to test expandable space habitat technology.

NASA has awarded a $17.8 million contract to Bigelow Aerospace to provide a Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM), which is scheduled to arrive at the space station in 2015 for a two-year technology demonstration.

The BEAM is scheduled to launch aboard the eighth SpaceX cargo resupply mission to the station contracted by NASA, currently planned for 2015.

After the module is berthed to the station's Tranquility node, the station crew will activate a pressurization system to expand the structure to its full size using air stored within the packed module. Astronauts periodically will enter the module to gather performance data and perform inspections. Following the test period, the module will be jettisoned from the station, burning up on re-entry.

My 1,000's post  :D
« Last Edit: 01/16/2013 10:56 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline 8900

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #30 on: 01/17/2013 04:44 am »
It is funded and it will be launched. Good news, congrat Bigelow!

Offline Occupymars

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #32 on: 01/17/2013 12:09 pm »
If you are going to modify the BEAM you could simply fly a Genesis II.  It already has solar arrays.
http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/genesis-2-specs.php

I think Genesis 2 is smaller than BEAM, isn't it?  It also doesn't come with pre-designed end plates for the docking interface and the connection to the launcher's U/S.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2013 12:09 pm by Ben the Space Brit »

~*~*~*~

Offline Valerij

• Russia, SPb
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #33 on: 01/17/2013 12:12 pm »
This is really good news!
I join in the congratulations!

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #34 on: 01/17/2013 01:37 pm »
In the video Bigelow confirms they have spent $250m, will spend $250m more & have 2 BA-330's flight ready in 2016.
When has SpaceX said Dragonrider will be ready?
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #35 on: 01/17/2013 01:47 pm »
In the video Bigelow confirms they have spent $250m, will spend $250m more & have 2 BA-330's flight ready in 2016.

The first LAS tests are due for 2013/2014.  I, personally, wouldn't be surprised if the first crew flight occurs some time in 2015 but I doubt NASA will use them before 2016 as that is when the Soyuz contract expires.

~*~*~*~

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #36 on: 01/17/2013 02:35 pm »

The first LAS tests are due for 2013/2014.  I, personally, wouldn't be surprised if the first crew flight occurs some time in 2015 but I doubt NASA will use them before 2016 as that is when the Soyuz contract expires.

The question is not about NASA.  It is not about ISS and Soyuz. It is about SpaceX and Bigelow, DragonRider and BA-330.

SpaceX says that they would have the first DragonRider ready about the same time as Bigelow says he would have the BA-330 spacecraft ready.  That's just what they say, not a prediction or a promise.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2013 02:35 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline dcporter

• Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #37 on: 01/17/2013 03:27 pm »

The question is not about NASA.  It is not about ISS and Soyuz. It is about SpaceX and Bigelow, DragonRider and BA-330.
[/quote]

No need for that, he was providing some additional contextual information.

SpaceX says that they would have the first DragonRider ready about the same time as Bigelow says he would have the BA-330 spacecraft ready.

I may have misread in passing but I thought that he was gonna have two BEAMs ready by then (one as a backup), not two BA-330s? Anyway you're definitely right that Bigelow is ramping up his efforts again just in time for DragonRider & CST-100 – not a coincidence! =)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #38 on: 01/17/2013 03:31 pm »

According to Forbes, Bigelow's net worth is about $750 million. Another $250 million is a large part of his net worth.   
I suspect that Bigelow could easily delay the launch of the BA-330 if necessary.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2013 03:31 pm by yg1968 »

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #39 on: 01/17/2013 04:14 pm »
What Bigelow's NET Worth is depends on who is calculating it & when they say it. I know he took a beating when the real estate market tanked, but I suspect he's in the $1b range in assets & cash.
I also suspect he needs somebody else to pay for the multiple launches of the 2 BA-330's & associated stuff to get them operational. Whether that's one entity or several remains to be seen.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography