Author Topic: Super Strypi (SPARK) launch vehicle - any info?  (Read 99891 times)

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
Re: Super Strypi (SPARK) launch vehicle - any info?
« Reply #60 on: 02/19/2015 03:57 pm »
Mid-2016, according to the FY 2016 budget request. Apparently there are issues with the first stage motor.

Sheesh. I sat in a press briefing on this mission/flight in May 2013 and the launch was then scheduled for November. It has now slipped almost three years since then?

I feel sorry for the university students who worked on the payload. They're all gonna be graduated, if they haven't already. But to be honest, I couldn't figure this thing out at all. It didn't seem like a capability that anybody requires. I wonder if it was earmarked money, or somebody's pet project.

It was an earmark.  The money was originally intended to be spent on the DARPA/AirLaunch QuickReach, but some backdoor maneuvering at final Defense Appropriations bill Conference Committee markup assigned it to this project.

I note that the project has a schedule to first flight longer than it took to go to the moon.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #61 on: 02/19/2015 04:09 pm »
Mid-2016, according to the FY 2016 budget request. Apparently there are issues with the first stage motor.

Sheesh. I sat in a press briefing on this mission/flight in May 2013 and the launch was then scheduled for November. It has now slipped almost three years since then?

I feel sorry for the university students who worked on the payload. They're all gonna be graduated, if they haven't already. But to be honest, I couldn't figure this thing out at all. It didn't seem like a capability that anybody requires. I wonder if it was earmarked money, or somebody's pet project.
That seminar, was it at a "US Space and Missile Defense Symposium"?  I think the answer to the question about capability lies within that phrase somewhere.  It is a Sandia project, after all.  It seems to me that the all-new motors are superfluous unless they are being developed for some long-term purpose.   I also suspect that the original "cheap" development costs have ballooned.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/19/2015 04:19 pm by edkyle99 »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #62 on: 02/19/2015 08:06 pm »
That seminar, was it at a "US Space and Missile Defense Symposium"?  I think the answer to the question about capability lies within that phrase somewhere.  It is a Sandia project, after all.  It seems to me that the all-new motors are superfluous unless they are being developed for some long-term purpose.   I also suspect that the original "cheap" development costs have ballooned.

No, I was at the National Space Symposium in Colorado Springs in 2013. By chance during lunch I sat next to a woman from Hawaii who was associated with the project. She explained what she was doing and I was surprised because it was a space project I had never heard about before. So I went to their press conference later in the day. Not really any press there, and I asked a few questions that I think made them nervous. They were planning a launch by the end of the year and everything seemed to be fine. I realized that was not the case when the launch didn't happen then.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #63 on: 02/20/2015 06:10 pm »
I do know that qualification motors were completed and fired because they were in some pressers and i also know that work on flight motors was started, but is where the info trail ends. some effects may be due to mergers and PAO changes to what can be public info which is primarily the case of Aerojet Rocketdyne and is not the case with Orbital ATK.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #64 on: 03/10/2015 08:38 pm »
The ORS director told in an interview, that the launch is now in the fall of 2015. They had a design flaw in the stage 1 motor, but came to the conclusion that they could fly with this system at a slightly elevated risk.

http://spacenews.com/ors-director-were-not-here-to-build-neat-toys/

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #65 on: 03/10/2015 11:57 pm »
Interesting read, so who offered $30 million for SBSS? Orbital on a Pegasus?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #66 on: 03/11/2015 01:31 am »
Interesting read, so who offered $30 million for SBSS? Orbital on a Pegasus?

It's been a while since a Pegasus cost less than $40M. ORS-3 (Minotaur I) was $28.8M though so...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #67 on: 03/11/2015 12:36 pm »
But, can Minotaur I reach the 0 degree orbit that SBSS requires. A very interesting puzzle.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #68 on: 03/11/2015 03:31 pm »
But, can Minotaur I reach the 0 degree orbit that SBSS requires. A very interesting puzzle.

Maybe with HAPS kick stage?

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #69 on: 10/09/2015 10:21 am »
The original thread was splited into two threads: one continuing to be about the launch vehicle itself, the other about the inaugural mission.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 12/28/2016 03:41 pm »
Any news on a possible second flight?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #71 on: 12/28/2016 10:37 pm »
The ORS-Squared payload has finished assembly and testing and is ready for integration with the launch vehicle. ORS-Squared is flying on this flight according to some information I got a hold of which includes this site: http://cosmiac.org/space-missions/ors-squared/ Other than that I cannot find any new information and University of Hawaii's Hawaii Space Flight Laboratory has dropped all references to the LEONIDAS mission series and have moved on to sounding rockets. I have some other places to check for information, but that is all I can find so far.

NET 2017 - ORS-Squared (ORS2), STU-2: Second LEONIDAS Mission (CubeSats, Small Satellites) - SPARK/Super Strypi - Kauai Test Facility (KTF) PMRF-41

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 12/29/2016 09:54 am »
The ORS-Squared payload has finished assembly and testing and is ready for integration with the launch vehicle. ORS-Squared is flying on this flight according to some information I got a hold of which includes this site: http://cosmiac.org/space-missions/ors-squared/ Other than that I cannot find any new information and University of Hawaii's Hawaii Space Flight Laboratory has dropped all references to the LEONIDAS mission series and have moved on to sounding rockets. I have some other places to check for information, but that is all I can find so far.

NET 2017 - ORS-Squared (ORS2), STU-2: Second LEONIDAS Mission (CubeSats, Small Satellites) - SPARK/Super Strypi - Kauai Test Facility (KTF) PMRF-41

Hm, the Cosmiac site still dates from the time before the maiden Super-Strypi flight, where ORS-Squared was originally scheduled to fly, but was removed from the launch a few weeks before. Since then, the page has not changed and it is not clear, if ORS-Squared will ever fly. The Super-Strypi references there all concern the maiden flight, not the second.

HSFL told me about a year ago, that they do not plan a second flight. So if a second flight happens, it will likely without HSFL involvement.

Currently i think, a second flight is unlikely to happen.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #73 on: 12/29/2016 05:53 pm »
One and done.  Any others beside Conestoga?  (Not including sole sub-variants of existing launch vehicle families.)

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 12/29/2016 05:54 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #74 on: 12/30/2016 02:46 pm »
One and done.  Any others beside Conestoga?  (Not including sole sub-variants of existing launch vehicle families.)

- Ed Kyle
Paektusan carrying Kwangmyŏngsŏng-1 perhaps. The launch vehicle was derived from the Taepodong-1 missile with a solid upper stage added. The rest of North Korean launches have used the Unha based on the Taepodong-2 missile.

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #75 on: 12/30/2016 05:15 pm »

- Ed Kyle
Paektusan carrying Kwangmyŏngsŏng-1 perhaps. The launch vehicle was derived from the Taepodong-1 missile with a solid upper stage added. The rest of North Korean launches have used the Unha based on the Taepodong-2 missile.

I don't know if J-I counts; it was designed to be orbital, but its only launch was suborbital.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography