Author Topic: Shuttle Tile identification  (Read 143584 times)

Offline Viscouse

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shuttle Tile identification
« Reply #20 on: 04/29/2011 04:24 pm »
Thanks Airman!  That's good to know.

Does anyone know about some of the missing info?
TP=?
B087=?

And where I might be able to figure out where the tile is located?  I can't find the Gap Filler Program anywhere.  (Maybe not looking under the right rocks?)

Offline OakdaleTileGuy

« Reply #21 on: 05/10/2011 11:20 pm »
OK, so far you guys have rocked.  Ready for one more? 
from the teacher program...
VO70 - 292106 - 005   008221

I've worked out from links on this thread that it is from the Rudder/Speed Brake, and obviously not flown.  Anything else I can find out would be awesome.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #22 on: 05/11/2011 04:00 am »
I've seen whole boxes of Shuttle tiles in both elementary school and high school science departments.  Is this exceptional?
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline jwing

« Reply #23 on: 05/18/2011 07:38 pm »
Another tile from the "Tiles for Teachers" program. 

VO70-292100-063-008167

Since you guys have such a great track record thought I would throw another one out there for you.  I know that it is located somewhere on the vertical stabilizer, but after that the info becomes hard to find. 

Thanks

Offline OakdaleTileGuy

« Reply #24 on: 05/18/2011 07:45 pm »
Another tile from the "Tiles for Teachers" program. 

VO70-292100-063-008167

Yours is from the same area as mine.  So, yes, Vertical Stabilizer, but more specifically the rudder/speedbrake. Since we are only 6 apart, I think we might be practically on top of each other.  Other than that, however, I think we might be SOL for further information.  I'll post here if I get a map some other way. 

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #25 on: 06/19/2011 09:15 pm »
V070-395924-107-008493, as shown.  My guess is aft heat shield / SSME dome, based on slightly rounded shape and beveled outer edge.

The attached NASA publication has a rudimentary chart that shows general positions (although it contains a figure that contradicts some of what the table shows). 

I think the tile in question is shown on the cropped RPM image attached.  Can anyone confirm?

Also, what are the round plugs (white with red middle) found on many of adjacent tiles in the RPM image?  The sample I have has a hole pre-cut for whatever it is.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2011 09:47 pm by jsmjr »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #26 on: 06/19/2011 11:18 pm »
V070-395924-107-008493, as shown.  My guess is aft heat shield / SSME dome, based on slightly rounded shape and beveled outer edge.

The attached NASA publication has a rudimentary chart that shows general positions (although it contains a figure that contradicts some of what the table shows). 

I think the tile in question is shown on the cropped RPM image attached.  Can anyone confirm?

Found a partial tile map that shows your tile location, although I'm afraid its not an ideal viewing angle for direct comparison with the photo you attached.  Images are copied from an L2 document (ignore the other annotations, they are irrelevant).

Offline spaceman10

« Reply #27 on: 06/20/2011 12:22 am »
Those space shuttle tiles are pretty awesome. I got to hold one at the Oshkosh airshow in WI like 10 years ago. I was amazed how light and frail they feel.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #28 on: 06/20/2011 02:01 am »

Found a partial tile map that shows your tile location, although I'm afraid its not an ideal viewing angle for direct comparison with the photo you attached.  Images are copied from an L2 document (ignore the other annotations, they are irrelevant).

Awesome, thanks, A-man.  Looks like I pegged it pretty close.  So what are those plugs?  Looks like a lot of tiles in that general vicinity are fabricated with holes to accommodate them.  Seem to relate to the fact that it's the first row of tiles on the SSME dome.  (Although as you can see in the RPM photo, there are also in some of the body flap tiles too.)

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #29 on: 06/20/2011 08:56 am »

Awesome, thanks, A-man.  Looks like I pegged it pretty close.  So what are those plugs?  Looks like a lot of tiles in that general vicinity are fabricated with holes to accommodate them.  Seem to relate to the fact that it's the first row of tiles on the SSME dome.  (Although as you can see in the RPM photo, there are also in some of the body flap tiles too.)

These tiles are mounted on removeable carrier panels - the holes allow access to fasteners that hold the panels in place.  Holes are typically sealed with RTV bonded FRSI plugs after panels are fixed in place.

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #30 on: 10/04/2011 07:31 pm »
Another request.
I finally got mine, question is where is it from. no documentation came with
V070-193005-252
Jf9865

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #31 on: 10/04/2011 08:53 pm »
Another request.
V070-193005-252
Jf9865

Your tile location is on the underside of the Left-Hand inboard elevon.  I've attached a couple of graphics showing your tile highlighted in yellow (click images to enlarge).

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #32 on: 10/05/2011 12:45 am »
Another request.
V070-193005-252
Jf9865

Your tile location is on the underside of the Left-Hand inboard elevon.  I've attached a couple of graphics showing your tile highlighted in yellow (click images to enlarge).

great thanks! So is the deal with these that they were slated as replacements but never used or just spares sitting around? Any way to identify what shuttle they were for?

Offline Harmonograms

« Reply #33 on: 11/10/2011 07:58 pm »
Similar location to above: V070-193001-097 JB4781.

I would greatly appreciate a schematic showing precisely where this thermal tile is located on the lower elevon. I have volunteered to design and build an appropriate display for my daughter's school to exhibit this important artifact and I would like to include a location diagram with the graphics.

Thanks, Chris 

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2011 09:58 pm »
Similar location to above: V070-193001-097 JB4781.

I would greatly appreciate a schematic showing precisely where this thermal tile is located on the lower elevon. I have volunteered to design and build an appropriate display for my daughter's school to exhibit this important artifact and I would like to include a location diagram with the graphics.

Thanks, Chris 

Here is an updated version of Anglomans image from above. You can see it there.

Offline ScottF

« Reply #35 on: 01/04/2012 07:46 pm »
My wife's school also received a tile and would appreciate help in locating where it would have been mounted.  Much like Chris' (Harmonograms) desire, our hope is to create a display showing students/parents/visitors exactly where the tile would have been used.  The tile number is V070-395907-122-008828.  Judging from other requests I believe it is from the SSME area.  Thanks for your help!

Scott

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 01/04/2012 09:05 pm »
Judging from other requests I believe it is from the SSME area.  Scott

According to SDS it is from the "Base Heat Shield, Lower Dome Half, Outboard"
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline ScottF

« Reply #37 on: 01/06/2012 07:03 pm »
Thanks for the help, OV-106.

What is SDS?  And where can I find a map like the ones above showing tile locations?

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #38 on: 01/06/2012 07:50 pm »
Thanks for the help, OV-106.

What is SDS?  And where can I find a map like the ones above showing tile locations?

It's an internal NASA database, and those maps are on L2
SDS= Shuttle Drawing System

rough estimate:

take this image (or find a better one with a lower left SSME on it)
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-28/hires/iss028e015588.jpg

i cropped it, your tile is on the second ring (number 2 on my crop) around that area.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2012 08:32 pm by Jester »

Offline Invicta

« Reply #39 on: 03/01/2012 01:13 pm »
Hello there,

I recently owned a shuttle tile from an old lady who joined the D2 mission as a transpot logistic responsible. This tile was presented to her as a gift in 1999. Some Weeks ago I purchased this tile but without any documentation from its origin.

Due to the fact that the tile is damaged at an area were the ID is printed, its very difficult to me to identify this tile. The tile itself shows red RTV500 silicon applied on the back. Therefore I guess that thisone is also flown.

The tile schows following Rockwell ID:
VO70-191012 ‐ ?37 ‐ 008695 see attache image.
Does anyone got a clueto which orbiter this tile might belong? Or could someone tell me the area this tile was attached to the shuttles frame?

I know that some here have a kind of shuttle tile map. I would be happy to get any information as possible from you!

Thanks in advance

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography