Author Topic: Shuttle Tile identification  (Read 143613 times)

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Shuttle Tile identification
« Reply #40 on: 03/02/2012 11:21 am »
For the purposes of locating the tile on the obiter, only the middle part of the ID is needed; 191012‐?37.

Looking at the photo of the tile, it looks like the partially damaged digit has a row of 3 dots along the top and probably a column of dots in the upper left quadrant (bit difficult to see).  If so, this would restrict the number to 0, 5, 6, 8 or 9.

Searching through the limted information I have, I found tile 191012-037, which is located on the underside of the orbiter port wing.  This is part of a block of 123 tiles with the 191012 prefix.  Within this block the tiles are in three sub-groups which have sequential suffix numbers as follows: -009 to -050, -093 to -134, and -177 to -215.

I've attached high resolution tile maps showing the block/groups and tile 191012-037 (which could be your tile).

I do not know if there are 191012 tiles on the other wing in a matching location containing other possible matches to higher numbered suffixes.

Hope this is of some help.  Click on images to enlarge to full size.

Offline Invicta

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 03/02/2012 11:55 am »
...wow... this helps me a lot! Thanks for the effort to localize the area.
But could you explain why the last numers 008695 of the hole ID arent important?
If I got you right the prefix number is just a hint for the tiles location?
Now it would be interesting to get to know from which orbiter this tile might be.

I'll try to identify the damaged number using a q-tip and some isopropanol. If I got more information I'll gonna post it.

Thanks anyway for your support

Best regards

Chris

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #42 on: 03/02/2012 07:14 pm »
But could you explain why the last numers 008695 of the hole ID arent important?

The last number of the full ID is the serial number of that individual  tile, and is the key to finding out the history of the tile.  NASA  databases will record whether it was a flown item or not, and if so  which orbiter it was attached to, dates it was attached and removed,  flight history (and probably lots of other stuff related to its  history).  Only NASA & Contractors have access to that information.

A  couple of folks on here have been able to get some documentation by  making a request to NASA under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) -  if you are a US citizen and really keen on getting such information you  might like to consider this route (but you might need to figure out that  damaged digit first).

I've attached a NASA guide to general tile locations based on the first six-digit number of the full ID.

Offline kielbasa

« Reply #43 on: 03/08/2012 05:05 pm »
Ok, well it seems that you are really food at this, so I would like to throw another one at you, if I might.

I just recieved mine yesterday, and of course, one of my studetns has already dropped it on the corner of something and not only put a nice cut in the top cornr, but also broke the plastic.....Uggh...

Anyway, here is the code
VO70-394504-336-010174

there is also another code on the back, on a little piece of paper stuck in between thetile and the plastic:
M0364-0006 TYPE 1

If you could send me a diagram of the locatation, and if the code on the back has any meaning, it would be greatly appreciated. I have only been able to say that it comes from bottom of the shuttle, 394XXX mid fuselage sides and lower.

Anything else would be great. The kids love it- even the one that dropped it....

dave
National Academy Foundation (prep)
7th grade math.

Offline Mark_Bray

« Reply #44 on: 03/08/2012 05:24 pm »
Here are the maps of where your tile would have been located on the Orbiter.

The MC364-0006 Type 1 just meant that it was an LI-900 tile.

Ok, well it seems that you are really food at this, so I would like to throw another one at you, if I might.

I just recieved mine yesterday, and of course, one of my studetns has already dropped it on the corner of something and not only put a nice cut in the top cornr, but also broke the plastic.....Uggh...

Anyway, here is the code
VO70-394504-336-010174

there is also another code on the back, on a little piece of paper stuck in between thetile and the plastic:
M0364-0006 TYPE 1

If you could send me a diagram of the locatation, and if the code on the back has any meaning, it would be greatly appreciated. I have only been able to say that it comes from bottom of the shuttle, 394XXX mid fuselage sides and lower.

Anything else would be great. The kids love it- even the one that dropped it....

dave
National Academy Foundation (prep)
7th grade math.

Offline kielbasa

« Reply #45 on: 03/08/2012 08:28 pm »
That is really cool. Thanks for the super fast response.

Not to be a bother, but would it be possible to get a higher resolution drawing of the shuttle tile area, so I can make some sort of a display?

After one student dropped it, I think I am going to make an acrylic box to house it in, so it will not be damaged any further.

Thanks, and where are you getting the drawings for the shuttle anyway? is that available to the general public, or is it a secret NASA thing?

Thanks so much.
dave

Offline Mark_Bray

« Reply #46 on: 03/08/2012 10:38 pm »
Here are some high resolution JPGs.
This program is not available to the public.

That is really cool. Thanks for the super fast response.

Not to be a bother, but would it be possible to get a higher resolution drawing of the shuttle tile area, so I can make some sort of a display?

After one student dropped it, I think I am going to make an acrylic box to house it in, so it will not be damaged any further.

Thanks, and where are you getting the drawings for the shuttle anyway? is that available to the general public, or is it a secret NASA thing?

Thanks so much.
dave

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #47 on: 03/08/2012 10:45 pm »
Welcome to the site's forum Mark. Appreciate you helping people find where their tile locations are on the TPS maps.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline grendak

« Reply #48 on: 08/04/2012 02:34 am »
It seems this thread it a bit old, but I'm hoping by some miracle those of you with access to the NASA software might still read it.  I'm trying to locate VO70-391016-438-010365.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #49 on: 08/04/2012 11:02 am »
It seems this thread it a bit old, but I'm hoping by some miracle those of you with access to the NASA software might still read it.  I'm trying to locate VO70-391016-438-010365.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I found your tile location - its on the port side of the orbiter, below and slightly forward of the crew access hatch.  I have marked it in red on the attached tile map (click on the image to enlarge).

By the way, this is the best thread in which to post such requests.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2012 11:02 am by AnalogMan »

Offline grendak

« Reply #50 on: 08/04/2012 12:46 pm »
I found your tile location - its on the port side of the orbiter, below and slightly forward of the crew access hatch.  I have marked it in red on the attached tile map (click on the image to enlarge).

Wow, thank you so much for the quick response and the attached image!!  I tried to find the location last weekend while visiting Discovery at the National Air & Space Museum.  However, between some of the thermal paint being worn off and not being able to get too close to the orbiter it was quite the challenge!  I cannot thank you enough for your help! 

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 09/24/2012 03:05 pm »
Ok guys, can we help this nice lady? :) I don't mind if you have to use L2 docs to find.

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline northanger

• Regular
« Reply #52 on: 09/24/2012 06:22 pm »
Just for future reference:
https://twitter.com/spacespartan/status/250239190724378625

looks like number is: VO70-195002-356-009264

195XXX = Wings upper

Don't know where to find tile documents in L2. I'll be out for a bit, if someone can PM location I can look for this later tonight.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #53 on: 09/24/2012 07:28 pm »
Mark or Analog are the two people for that location find, so I'm sure that will be forthcoming today.

Offline northanger

• Regular
« Reply #54 on: 09/25/2012 05:53 am »
Thanks Flightstar. I'm still looking! Found Gary Giles/Maria Vallas paper mentioning graphical displays using "tile geometry" (tile part numbers &c) to plot tile data. Fascinating. A shuttle tile is an amazing bit of history to have in your hand.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #55 on: 09/26/2012 07:48 pm »
No joy with this one?

Offline northanger

• Regular
« Reply #56 on: 09/26/2012 10:34 pm »
:( nope, not by me. Are Mark or Analog checking?

Went thru L2 Shopping List, there's a discussion but nothing definite [like "there be tile graphics here to check every tile"]. Checked every page on Shuttle Performance: Lessons Learned -- fascinating, but no tile diagrams. L2 search for SDS & Shuttle Drawing System, but nothing comes up. Several folks (including you, if I remember) mention tile diagrams in the FRRs (Flight Readiness Review). I found some, but not 195XXXs.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #57 on: 09/26/2012 11:18 pm »
I know we have lots of maps via the DAT presentations on L2. But I personally don't have time to do a number check (as that would be visual). Hopefully Analog has time, as he can find anything! :)

Offline northanger

• Regular
« Reply #58 on: 09/27/2012 06:49 am »
I shall start checking the DAT presentations with the extreme hope that Analog will post this tile identification ASAP!

:)

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #59 on: 09/27/2012 11:07 am »
I shall start checking the DAT presentations with the extreme hope that Analog will post this tile identification ASAP!

:)
I've only found a near 'hit' for this tile - bit busy at present, but hope to post in due course.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography