Author Topic: Space flight justification  (Read 2055 times)

Offline ras391

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 7
Space flight justification
« on: 12/21/2005 01:06 am »
If you ever need a quote to justify our space program or anyone's program, here is one Griffin used recently.

Great quote from Griffin speech at Georgia Tech Graduation 12/05  Quotes JFK!!!!!

Let me leave you with remarks that President John F. Kennedy made during a visit to an aerospace medical facility in San Antonio, Texas, on November 21st, 1963 - the day before he was assassinated in Dallas. This was a story of which Kennedy was fond, originally told by the Irish writer Frank O'Connor, and I think it defines what our space exploration vision, and your future, is all about. Said President Kennedy, "O'Connor wrote how as a boy he and his friends would make their way across the countryside. When they came to an orchard wall that seemed to high and too doubtful to try and too difficult to permit their voyage to continue, they took off their hats and tossed them over the wall - and then they had no choice but to follow them." Kennedy concluded, "This nation has tossed its cap over the wall of space, and we have no choice but to follow it. Whatever the difficulties, they will be overcome. Whatever the hazards, they must be guarded against. With the help of all those who labor in the space endeavor, with the help and support of all Americans, we will climb this wall with safety and with speed - and we shall then explore the wonders on the other side."

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151
RE: Space flight justification
« Reply #1 on: 12/21/2005 01:11 am »
Wow, what a great quote. Where did you find that?

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #2 on: 12/21/2005 01:15 am »
Never hurts to be quoting Kennedy, even if you are quoting him quoting someone else. But yes, that's pretty nice.

The full text is a media release from NASA, and the first place I found it was here....

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=19030

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: 12/21/2005 11:32 am »
Does Griffin write his own speeches? Anyone?

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #4 on: 12/21/2005 12:15 pm »
Apparently he does. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm sure he has the ability.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography