Author Topic: YaoGan Weixing-12 CZ-4B Taiyuan launch - November 9, 2011  (Read 25335 times)

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156
YaoGan Weixing-12 will probably be launched from Taiyuan in the next few days.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 07:00 am by input~2 »

Offline Victory O

• Australia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

If this thing is really the successor to YG-5 (as rumored for some time already), then I would guess the launch time could be around 03:00 - 05:00 UTC on November 6th. The problem is that it's eerily quiet on the Chinese front...   ::)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Chris Bergin

No sign of this one launching yet? Could someone send me a PM if it does (I'd rather three people did, as opposed to no one) and I'll get Rui's article on (I'll be on e-mail not web access for the interim).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

No sign of this one launching yet? Could someone send me a PM if it does (I'd rather three people did, as opposed to no one) and I'll get Rui's article on (I'll be on e-mail not web access for the interim).

Chris, nothing's happening at this moment: no official news (the Chinese stopped doing that since the failure in August), no blogger reporting on a launch happening (or even anything close to that), no NOTAMs, no sightings of UFOs, no secret satellites being found by the Americans, no fireballs falling out of the sky...  ::) So I don't know what's going on, and the launch status could be anywhere from a stealth launch achieved to not happening for some days from now.  :-\
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: YaoGan Weixing-12 CZ-4B Taiyuan launch - November 2011
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2011 09:02 am »
Rain is supposed to stop Tuesday in the TSLC area...

LOL, it has just been launched! Launch time is 03:21 UTC (I got the correct launch time!).  ;D

Also onboard is the Tian Xun-1 picosatellite built by the Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 03:09 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline Chris Bergin

There we go! Now to see if a launch image gets posted...or if I have to use a generic one ;) (Day time launch, yes?)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

There we go! Now to see if a launch image gets posted...or if I have to use a generic one ;) (Day time launch, yes?)

Yup, it's a daylight launch (11:21 Chinese time). And the pictures shouldn't take long to come: they would probably come at the noon time news report here (underway right now).

Edit: First picture now up.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 03:22 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline Chris Bergin

Excellent. Do we have a person/site to accredit the image too? I'll get Rui's article on shortly :)
« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 03:43 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

Yup, it's a daylight launch (11:21 Chinese time). And the pictures shouldn't take long to come: they would probably come at the noon time news report here (underway right now).

Edit: First picture now up.

Some notes:
1. The picture above is unfortunately a stock photo: it wasn't snowing during the launch today.
2. Here's a Chinese discussion thread for TX-1: Link
« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 04:36 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Some interesting facts on the TX-1 micro-satellite:

1. The satellite's size is roughly 60 cm X 75 cm, and weights about 35 kilograms.

2. The satellite's main payload is a 2.5 kg CCD camera built by Suzhou University. It has a maximum resolution of roughly 30 meters.

3. The satellite has a clear military mission: it was built into a pear-like polygon shape to test the ability of making a stealth satellite (to both optical and radar tracking). (Think of the F-22 / B-2...)

4. The project started in around 2007, however it went into serious management problems that stalled its development for more than one year.

Also the launch time (03:21 UTC) strongly hints at YG-12 being the successor to YG-5, so we could predict that the satellite (which should fulfill the role of high-resolution optical reconnaissance) is in an orbit of ~500 X 500 km X 98 degrees.

And some cool launch photos...  :)

Precise launch time: 03:21:05:279 UTC.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: 11/09/2011 07:21 am by input~2 »

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
Re: YaoGan Weixing-12 CZ-4B Taiyuan launch - November 9, 2011
« Reply #16 on: 11/09/2011 07:43 am »
At lift-off, other launch vehicles drop ice that formed on the exterior of the cryogenic tanks.  CZ-4B apparently instead drops ... confetti?  What am I failing to understand?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #18 on: 11/09/2011 08:25 am »
At lift-off, other launch vehicles drop ice that formed on the exterior of the cryogenic tanks.  CZ-4B apparently instead drops ... confetti?  What am I failing to understand?

It drops thermal insulation panels of the payload fairing

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 11/09/2011 08:26 am »
It looks like these "confetti" are external thermal protections from the fairing

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography