Author Topic: V2 Rocket Engine Question  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Space Gnat

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
V2 Rocket Engine Question
« on: 12/09/2018 11:46 am »
Update: I believe I may have found the answers to my questions. The main fuel valve is a bypass-type pressure regulation valve. The alcohol flows from the lower chamber up into the valve which then passes on most of it on to the upper chamber at a regulated pressure while bleeding off fuel back to the pump feed line as a method of regulating pressure.  Can anyone confirm this?  The Combustion Cutaway picture may indicate that the fuel comes up from the lower chamber via the large vertical center hole under where the valve would sit, and the valve would pass the fuel on to the upper chamber via the circle of smaller horizontal holes above.

--------------

Hi, I am a newbie just starting to learn about rocket engines and thus am beginning with the V2 engine.  I am hoping that someone can help me with a few basic questions.

One area of information which I have not been able to easily locate is the alcohol routing after it passes up through the regenerative cooling jackets of the combustion chamber, and the working of the main fuel valve system in the top center of the combustion housing.

The alcohol gets fed from the pump to the six large tubes and enters the round manifold near the bottom of the nozzle, and passes up through the cooling jackets to the "lower head chamber " (the cooling jacket right above the combustion chamber). How does the fuel get from there to the "upper head chamber" (the alcohol manifold feeding the burner cups) which is right above the lower head chamber?

If it is just direct passageways from the lower chamber to the upper one, then is the exclusive purpose of the main fuel valve system to return some hot fuel from the cooling jackets to the alcohol feed before the pump? (as is depicted in the VS routing diagram attached) I.e.: Is the main fuel valve system merely a one-way system for bleeding off some of the hot alcohol, and it does not feed any alcohol back into the alcohol manifold? If so, I would say that the "main fuel valve" is very confusingly named - something such as "fuel return valve" would seem to make much more sense.

Regardless, what is the purpose of returning the hot fuel to the pump feed?

Also, would anyone know the reasoning behind having separate feed pipes of alcohol from the upper alcohol manifold to the four rings of holes for injecting alcohol onto the inner combustion surfaces as a cooling film boundary layer? Why not just have the holes feeding directly from(through) the cooling jacket walls?

Thank You  :)

English listing of terms/parts from the V2 Combustion Cutaway diagram attached:

1.Alcohol inlet stem
2.Lower head chamber (lower section of fuel manifold)
3.Upper head chamber (primary fuel manifold)

4.Fitting for oxygen supply line
5.Oxygen atomizer
6.Fuel nozzle

7.Combustion chamber
8.(Thermal) expansion fold
9.Alcohol inlet fold (alcohol inlet manifold)

Link to more-detailed combustion chamber diagrams:

http://heroicrelics.org/info/v-2/combustion-chamber-cut-away.html

« Last Edit: 12/09/2018 02:23 pm by Space Gnat »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography