Author Topic: San Marco Platform, Kenya  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
San Marco Platform, Kenya
« on: 03/14/2018 08:02 pm »
While performing my "day job" in Kenya today I happened unexpectedly across a space artifact in Africa, specifically off the African coast near Malindi, Kenya. While I knew that Malindi was home to an equatorial tracking station frequently used by Ariane launches. I also knew it had another space related connection but couldn't put my finger on it. As I flew northward along the coast from the city, spotting the cluster of small platforms just offshore spurred my memory.  So with a little deviation from course, these aerial pictures from today of the currently inactive San Marco offshore launch center, the world's first maritime space base, active decades before Sea Launch or ASDSes were even a dream. Its a little worse for wear, but there is still at least caretaker activity aboard.

I've shot space sites across the US but it was an unexpected pleasure to shoot one on the other side of the world. Also fun to fly and shoot at the same time!

Wikipedia link for background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broglio_Space_Centre

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
Re: San Marco Platform, Kenya
« Reply #1 on: 03/14/2018 08:48 pm »
Nice shots! Was talking to a group last week about potential launch sites around the world (specifically addressing microlaunch concepts), and I'd mentioned San Marcos from the past, but had no idea its status, so your picture is quite timely.

There are several vehicles that could make use of it, including European, Russian, American ones to begin with (there are some stirrings from a few nearby countries on the other side of the horn.

Be careful in setting down in that part of the world, those Somali pirates are tough customers.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: 03/14/2018 09:42 pm »
Although inactive, I think it is maintained. Otherwise, it would be all rust and looted by now.

Several years ago I attended an event at the Italian embassy in Washington where somebody gave a presentation about their recent visit to that facility. They had indoor photos as well, and the lights were on. So it had power.

Offline spaceman3

• Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 03/16/2018 08:07 pm »
Wow, these are great. Anyway I can contact you and get higher resolution versions of these. (I am working on a small project on the history of these platforms)?

Asif Siddiqi

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #4 on: 03/16/2018 09:17 pm »
In case people are wondering about the scale, it appears this was based on a platform that was 300 feet long by 90 feet wide with a 13 foot hull depth, supported by 20 pylons each 6 feet in diameter and 100 feet long.

(Ref. pp 20-22. of this document: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720007316.pdf.  Also of interest is Figure 14 of the general layout of the platform.)
psas.pdx.edu

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #5 on: 03/17/2018 03:50 am »
Although inactive, I think it is maintained. Otherwise, it would be all rust and looted by now.

Several years ago I attended an event at the Italian embassy in Washington where somebody gave a presentation about their recent visit to that facility. They had indoor photos as well, and the lights were on. So it had power.
There are people on it in these pictures. They appear to be operating a crane of some sort.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #6 on: 03/17/2018 07:41 pm »
(I am working on a small project on the history of these platforms)?

very interesting Asif! should you ever need help with translating from Italian just let me know

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #7 on: 03/17/2018 08:08 pm »
The blue crane is either lifting or lowering a RIB-style boat with a couple of people aboard it.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #8 on: 12/16/2022 10:35 am »
Just had the opportunity to watch a new documentary on Italy's initial space program yesterday, and I remembered this thread. Appreciate to have these more recent images, and knowing the platforms are being upkept.

I learned in that documentary that the San Marco platform was actually a military barge that was used... in the Normandy Landings! It was then ceded, converted and transported to Kenya's coast. This happened after the Santa Rita platform (control platform with heliport that used to be used for oil exploitation) was secured for the launcher program thanks to ENI (the Italian then-state-owned hydrocarbon corporation), which gave it for basically free to Dr Broglio, the scientist/military/visionary behind early Italian launches, after whom the Malindi sites are still named.

For reference, St Rita is said to be the "patroness of impossible and lost causes" :)
-DaviD-

Offline Robspace54

• USA
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: 02/24/2023 06:49 pm »
San Marco diagrams

Offline PMN1

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: 02/26/2023 06:52 pm »
This popped up in a graphic on the future Italian fleet.....a possible replacement....I am assuming the comment is the thoughts of the  graphics producer rather than official thoughts.

« Last Edit: 02/26/2023 06:52 pm by PMN1 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography