Author Topic: Shuttle Orbiter style BFS  (Read 890 times)

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 354
  • Likes Given: 179
Shuttle Orbiter style BFS
« on: 02/13/2018 06:59 PM »
I went to watch the FH launch recently and also went to the KSC visitor center for the first time in years. The display of Atlantis is impressive. It provides a great view into the open cargo bay.

One question it left me with was whether there’s a significant use for a BFS variant that could fill in for a Shuttle Orbiter.

NSF has discussed the Mars passenger version,Point to Point liner, Cargo and Tanker. What about a variant that has a smallish crew area forward, about the size and capacity as the shuttle with an airlock. Aft of that is the large cargo bay with a hatch.

Landing would of course be BFS style. It could take on propellant and go anywhere a BFS could go. Being a hybrid cargo/crew version might have advantages for construction activities and shuttle like missions for satellite repair.

The cargo bay would be similar in length to the Shuttle but twice the diameter so 4x the volume.

Online John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 1477
Re: Shuttle Orbiter style BFS
« Reply #1 on: 02/13/2018 10:00 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said...
Being a hybrid cargo/crew version might have advantages for construction activities and shuttle like missions for satellite repair.
A version such as this will likely appear when other entities decide this is exactly what they need to go make money in space...
SpaceX has only shown versions that fit their needs... Go to Mars and replace Falcon System...

Just like say a Ford Transit van can be anything from a cargo van to a mini bus or bare chassis...
Others have made them into a wide array of vehicles to serve their needs and make money with them...  ;)

Online Norm38

• Liked: 451
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: 02/15/2018 06:46 PM »
I have a thread for this.  Please read through it and feel free to post questions there.

Space Truck:  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43645.0

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 648
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/2018 06:21 PM »
I have a thread for this.  Please read through it and feel free to post questions there.

Space Truck:  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43645.0

A Space truck, why didn't anyone think of that before?
Paul

Tags: