Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 15859 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« on: 12/23/2017 11:52 AM »
As you will all know by now, we've updated the news site:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44494.0

The forum will be upgraded in 2018, but we'll be remaining on this forum for the interim.

The previous feedback thread covered both sites, so I'm splitting this into a standalone for the forum, the current forum, until we move to upgrade.

---

One thing I've changed just now is the time between likes. The reason for the two minute delay was we saw some people abusing it (you don't want to know how, but basically it was to make themselves look popular ;D) However, I was getting sick of waiting two minutes to like very good posts, so I've reduced the time down to two seconds.

We'll keep an eye on like spamming (yes, there is such a thing!)

----

This thread will be for things we can do with the current forum and we'll take also them forward into the upgrade.

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 366
  • Likes Given: 174
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #1 on: 12/23/2017 12:38 PM »
I thought I'd chip in with which features on the forum I use the most, as this might be helpful when moving to a new forum.

My most used features:
* The unread topics button
* The new button

« Last Edit: 12/23/2017 12:39 PM by nacnud »

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2436
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #2 on: 12/23/2017 01:02 PM »
One feature I've been hoping for was a Bookmark button which would allow a reader to bookmark a post so they could easily return to it at a later time. I've often spent a great deal of time searching for a post I had read previously. Perhaps limiting the number of active bookmarks would make such a feature possible.

Incidentally thank you for reducing the the wait time between Likes.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2631
  • Likes Given: 6720
« Reply #3 on: 12/23/2017 01:13 PM »
To address what Chuck said above, I would keep tabs open on the discussion topic which made Chris's eyes pop at my screenshot... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 382
« Reply #4 on: 12/23/2017 01:20 PM »
+1 to this. We (in my business) have a  Shared Inbox app and this was one of the most requested and since released, one of the most used options. To be able to bookmark= (and unbookmark) a conversation, maybe even down the individual post , and add it to your bookmarks.  Then stick a "Show my my bookmarks" button/link somewhere.

Would be a very useful option.

One feature I've been hoping for was a Bookmark button which would allow a reader to bookmark a post so they could easily return to it at a later time. I've often spent a great deal of time searching for a post I had read previously. Perhaps limiting the number of active bookmarks would make such a feature possible.

Incidentally thank you for reducing the the wait time between Likes.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6837
  • Likes Given: 4618
« Reply #5 on: 12/23/2017 02:03 PM »
yaay about likes!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #6 on: 12/23/2017 02:07 PM »
Is it possible to have a "Donation" link separate from the subscription one for "one time-enter amount"?

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
« Reply #7 on: 12/23/2017 02:10 PM »
Gotta Say - the new format is really good. The fonts/spacings of the articles making it reading them enjoyable!. No more Tapatalk for me.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 12/23/2017 04:35 PM »
Is it possible to have a "Donation" link separate from the subscription one for "one time-enter amount"?

1) Bless you.

2) Everything goes through that paypal link as its keeps everything in one place. So if anyone wanted to send some cash outside of L2, then they can via that paypal link. It's a blank box (to allow for different amounts - one person once sent $19,999! Only to say it was a mistake and meant $19.99....yes, I refunded him ;D) so anything can be sent and they'd just add a "donation" message to me via PM.

And that donation goes into the same account we pay the hosting with so it's all good news for us.

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #9 on: 12/23/2017 06:19 PM »
In forum posts, can tweets automatically display like youtube videos do here by just posting the link?

Saves posting the link, and the copy of the words and the attachment of the photo. Should be doable in SMF?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 12/23/2017 07:26 PM »
In forum posts, can tweets automatically display like youtube videos do here by just posting the link?

Saves posting the link, and the copy of the words and the attachment of the photo. Should be doable in SMF?

That would be great if it can be done. Would save a lot of messing around and also remove the need to attach photos to the forum database!

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2530
  • Likes Given: 1533
« Reply #11 on: 12/23/2017 08:18 PM »

That would be great if it can be done. Would save a lot of messing around and also remove the need to attach photos to the forum database!

It would still be good to save any important tweets/photos locally in case they disappear at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2017 08:19 PM by gongora »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 379
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #12 on: 12/25/2017 07:58 PM »
On the mobile version of the site, Unread Posts, pressing the  > arrow leads to the last post of the thread rather than the last unread post of the thread.  Has this been brought up?

The WAP version seems to correctly go to the last unread post, but I don't prefer the WAP sparseness.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 12/27/2017 08:28 PM »
A reminder, this for the current forum. For posts about the new news site, go here:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44494.0 :)

Moved a couple of posts over.

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 422
  • Likes Given: 1321
« Reply #14 on: 12/28/2017 06:44 PM »
One thing I've changed just now is the time between likes. The reason for the two minute delay was we saw some people abusing it (you don't want to know how, but basically it was to make themselves look popular ;D) However, I was getting sick of waiting two minutes to like very good posts, so I've reduced the time down to two seconds.

Oh yay. I'm so gonna take advantage of this. Like spammers represent /thumbs up emote/.

Offline whatever11235

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #15 on: 12/28/2017 06:56 PM »

2 min hard limit is too much, there are always few consecutive posts you'd wish to like. You could still keep that limit but as an average. E.g. 30 likes per hour, spaced however you'd like in that 60min window.

Offline gin455res

• eny, sed, woz, shuga English spelling is messed up
  • bristol, uk
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #16 on: 12/29/2017 09:11 AM »
I would value a feature that collapsed or hid all posts that didn't contain pictures or video.

Sometimes on a discussion thread there is reference to images back in the thread. I would like to scan back through just the posts with images and videos more quickly, instead of wading backwards through 20 pages.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1421
  • Likes Given: 209
« Reply #17 on: 12/29/2017 02:54 PM »
I wish there was a Timeline feature (may have already been mentioned on this thread?) The one good thing that the dreaded Tapatalk has is that.

As a rule, I read this forum using the Unread filter, and I'm sure that's how mode do it as well. However, if - after I read a thread - I want to go back to it it's a real pain on the website because to refind it I have to drill down through the forum and hope I can remember what sub  (sub) group the thread was in.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #18 on: 12/29/2017 08:26 PM »
I wish there was a Timeline feature (may have already been mentioned on this thread?) The one good thing that the dreaded Tapatalk has is that.

As a rule, I read this forum using the Unread filter, and I'm sure that's how mode do it as well. However, if - after I read a thread - I want to go back to it it's a real pain on the website because to refind it I have to drill down through the forum and hope I can remember what sub  (sub) group the thread was in.

That's the very reason I asked for a bookmark feature.

Online Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 141
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #19 on: 01/02/2018 04:57 PM »
Still hoping for the ability to like on the mobile forum.

I rarely use the full site.

*also would be great if you could see the likes on mobile.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2018 04:58 PM by Basto »

Offline david1971

• Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 6508
« Reply #20 on: 01/05/2018 06:58 PM »
Has the time delay between forum post likes been dropped?  I seem to be able to like at will.

Speaking of things I like, I find the back-to-top button to be very useful, and would be sad to see it go.

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 672
« Reply #21 on: 01/06/2018 12:32 AM »
Has the time delay between forum post likes been dropped?  I seem to be able to like at will.

Speaking of things I like, I find the back-to-top button to be very useful, and would be sad to see it go.

Iím honestly curious here. Why not press the home key, or the top menu on a mobile device?

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #22 on: 01/06/2018 01:18 AM »
Lookee here... NSF with Firefox Dark addon 8)

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #23 on: 01/06/2018 01:36 AM »
The other forum I follow that uses this forum software has this link prominant on the top, and it's my most-used feature.  Not having something similar here makes it MUCH harder for me to follow discussions in which I'm participating.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 793
« Reply #24 on: 01/07/2018 08:50 PM »

In the 1st post of this thread, Chris mentions it has been reduced to 2 seconds.
Paul

Offline Jimmy_C

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 408
« Reply #25 on: 01/20/2018 02:20 AM »
I had problems logging in with Microsoft Edge on iOS with the mobile site. I got an error message indicating my session expired. Workaround that worked for me: switch to full site, login, and then switch to mobile site.

Offline Bananas_on_Mars

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #26 on: 01/26/2018 04:56 PM »
Currently I don't get the "mobile" view when visiting the forums from my phone using Firefox 58.0 on Android 7.0.

With Chrome on the same phone everything is fine.

Regards, Max

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #27 on: 01/30/2018 02:44 AM »
Lookee here... NSF with Firefox Dark addon 8)

We need to get on with that. Will remind Mark when I tell him to buy in as many Server Hamsters he can find at the pet shop for the Falcon Heavy launch.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 02/01/2018 07:38 PM »
Mark's been installing more server hamster tricks into the forum to help us (try to) survive Falcon Heavy. Let us know if you see anything off-nominal since a few hours ago. I've done a check, and all now seems to be good, but I might have missed something.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #29 on: 02/01/2018 07:50 PM »
Currently I don't get the "mobile" view when visiting the forums from my phone using Firefox 58.0 on Android 7.0.

With Chrome on the same phone everything is fine.

Regards, Max

There is a link to the mobile site at the very bottom of the page, try that.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #30 on: 02/01/2018 08:10 PM »
For some reason all colours are black in Safari?

red
white
grey

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #31 on: 02/02/2018 08:06 AM »
To add to the list, because it's unlikely those with the issue will be able to post it, but....

Session Verification Error. Obviously most people don't have this as the forum is active, but some overnight e-mails to me note it. Letting you know I've passed it on to Mark and I'll report back when fixed or advice on how to solve locally is forthcoming.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:06 AM by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 02/02/2018 08:28 AM »
This issue has now been resolved by Mark :)

To all: A firm fix may result in everyone logged in being logged out in the next hour (a lot of people stay logged in all the time, so don't worry, this is on purpose). Any issues when you can't login, thus can't post an issue here, always e-mail me [email protected]

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5422
  • Likes Given: 1532
« Reply #33 on: 02/02/2018 10:07 AM »
For some reason all colours are black in Safari?

red
white
grey

Happening on Firefox on my PC too. Give away is when editting a post the colour drop-down pick list no longer appears with all the other text formatting icons. So it appears that colour is switched-off/disabled?

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #34 on: 02/02/2018 10:29 AM »
Relaying another bug found for the words coloring on this forum....

The color codes are not working for me. Anyone else with the same problem?
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1872
  • Likes Given: 1285
« Reply #35 on: 02/02/2018 11:30 AM »

To all: A firm fix may result in everyone logged in being logged out in the next hour (a lot of people stay logged in all the time, so don't worry, this is on purpose). Any issues when you can't login, thus can't post an issue here, always e-mail me [email protected]

Will I got up at 4:25 PST and I'm getting the "Session Verification Error" each time I hit the 'Unread Topics" link.  I'll clear my cache and ss if that fixes it.  I'm also not able to check the "Stay On indefinitely" checkbox or erase the number of minutes to "stay login" box either.

Update:
I cleaned cashed, but no improvement.  After logging in again, each and every time I press the "Unread Topics" button I get thrown back to the login page.  As a workaround, I then use the back page key to return to the topic I was reading and then scroll up to the top and press the "Forums" button to avoid the login page and use the "Unread Post" button at the end of each Thread Section instead.  I can then continue onward so long as I avoid hitting the "Unread Topics" button.  \

Kinda painful right now.

Update at 4:58 a.m. PST
The "Unread Topics" button appears to be working now.  I tried it several times to be sure.  Don't know what occurred between my last update to make this work again, but as is well.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 12:02 PM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #36 on: 02/02/2018 12:41 PM »

Update at 4:58 a.m. PST
The "Unread Topics" button appears to be working now.  I tried it several times to be sure.  Don't know what occurred between my last update to make this work again, but as is well.

That's the main thing! :)

Will ask about the color thing others mentioned.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 12:42 PM by Chris Bergin »

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #37 on: 02/02/2018 01:13 PM »

Yep, this  happened to me... of course didn't see the notice here till after I logged in again. :) All seems well now, feel free to delete this post :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #38 on: 02/02/2018 01:48 PM »
OK, neither myself and Mark understand what you all mean.

What is missing? Not sure what this drop down box is about....but if someone can explain better than "all the colors are black", then Mark can go after it :)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #39 on: 02/02/2018 01:50 PM »
On the SpaceX manifest the past flights are colored to indicate success or failure.  They're all showing as the same color right now.  The forum isn't displaying the color codes.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43418.msg1702572#msg1702572

edit: This should show several different colors
Colors: Successful / Unsuccessful / Mars!!!! / Footnotes
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 01:52 PM by gongora »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #40 on: 02/02/2018 01:54 PM »
On the SpaceX manifest the past flights are colored to indicate success or failure.  They're all showing as the same color right now.  The forum isn't displaying the color codes.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43418.msg1702572#msg1702572

edit: This should show several different colors

Ok so:

THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

Oh yeah! (c) Liar Lair
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 01:55 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #41 on: 02/02/2018 01:58 PM »
Let me fix that :

;)

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 312
« Reply #42 on: 02/02/2018 01:59 PM »

I'm now getting logged out every time I return to the forum via http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php in a new tab.  (This is from a Chromebook).

I've cleared all nasaspaceflight.com cookies & storage and the problem's still happening.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #43 on: 02/02/2018 02:00 PM »

I'm now getting logged out every time I return to the forum via http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php in a new tab.  (This is from a Chromebook).

I've cleared all nasaspaceflight.com cookies & storage and the problem's still happening.

This will be resolved later today. We switched to SSL by default last night and there are still a couple of links left to "http://forum..." and the auto-redirect is not working (yet). 

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #44 on: 02/02/2018 02:01 PM »

Perhaps use https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php as you're using the old http link still.

Mark beat me ;D

To all. If you go to the news site (it's really good, there's news and such on there!) and click the forum you will get that https link by default.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 02:02 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #45 on: 02/02/2018 02:18 PM »
Tapatalk now no longer works. Iíve logged out and in several times and restarted the app. Unread returns nothing, and if I view via timeline Iím told I donít have permission to post. Any suggestions (and please donít say get rid of Tapatalk).

Thanks

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
« Reply #46 on: 02/02/2018 02:22 PM »
Hmm. Works for me. Try clearing the cache on tapatalk.

Tapatalk now no longer works. Iíve logged out and in several times and restarted the app. Unread returns nothing, and if I view via timeline Iím told I donít have permission to post. Any suggestions (and please donít say get rid of Tapatalk).

Thanks

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #47 on: 02/02/2018 02:30 PM »

Thanks

Can you try again ?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #48 on: 02/02/2018 02:53 PM »

Thanks

Can you try again ?

Same thing. I tried:

Cleared cache
Logged out of NSF
Unfollowed NSF
Logged out of Tapatalk
Force quit app
Logged into Tapatalk
Found and followed NSF
Logged into NSF

Still nothing in Unread, and it says I donít have permission to post / respond / create threads / etc

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 02/02/2018 02:54 PM »

Thanks

Can you try again ?

Same thing. I tried:

Cleared cache
Logged out of NSF
Unfollowed NSF
Logged out of Tapatalk
Force quit app
Logged into Tapatalk
Found and followed NSF
Logged into NSF

Still nothing in Unread, and it says I donít have permission to post / respond / create threads / etc

We had a mod saying he lost permissions. He was on the old http link. Are your links http or https....needs to be https until Mark "https" everything.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #50 on: 02/02/2018 02:58 PM »
Do you have the ability to specify that in Tapatalk?

Itís funny (kinda), I keep getting notifications that someone has replied to my post, so I tap the notification and it takes me into Tapatalk. I hit reply and...

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 02/02/2018 03:02 PM »
Do you have the ability to specify that in Tapatalk?

Itís funny (kinda), I keep getting notifications that someone has replied to my post, so I tap the notification and it takes me into Tapatalk. I hit reply and...

Don't know, I refuse to use it as it's crap! ;D

Has to be a local issue as with any site issue, a bus load of people arrive with the same issue. If someone "tapatalk in the know"......

...hang on. Any way to go from the news site into the forum and force tapatalk into https, perhaps?

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 312
« Reply #52 on: 02/02/2018 03:46 PM »

This will be resolved later today. We switched to SSL by default last night and there are still a couple of links left to "http://forum..." and the auto-redirect is not working (yet).
A bunch of the http: links were living in my browser's list of autosuggest URLs.   Purging them cleared this up for me.  (the exact key combination to do this depends on browser and OS).

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #53 on: 02/02/2018 08:08 PM »
Tapatalk keeps telling me I donít have permission to post even though I am logged in. Tried clearing cache in Tapatalk & it makes no difference.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:31 PM by Star One »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #54 on: 02/02/2018 10:39 PM »

A bunch of the http: links were living in my browser's list of autosuggest URLs.   Purging them cleared this up for me.  (the exact key combination to do this depends on browser and OS).

Yah that's what happened to me too.  What I also suggest everyone do in addition to launchwatcher advice, is either delete any existing NSF bookmarks on whatever browser your using and/or update them to the new proper NSF web address.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 10:43 PM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Online wholmeswa

• Wayne Holmes
  • Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #55 on: 02/03/2018 01:24 AM »
Tapatalk issues for me as well. Not seeing any updates in subscribed topics or watched threads. In addition seeing the not allowed to post reported upthread.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #56 on: 02/03/2018 03:57 AM »

Came here to see what was up with NSF constantly logging me out.  My NSF routine is to type "60", "55", etc. into the URL bar and let it suggest the index.php?board=XX.0 address that is the forum section of interest.  All those were http links, and have now been replaced with https.  Thanks launchwatcher!

Chris B / NSF, during a slow period in the next day, it might be worth sending out a tweet about this.  Most folks don't know to look here.
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 549
« Reply #57 on: 02/03/2018 07:03 PM »
Don't work [ s ] [ /s ] BBCode tag.  :(
« Last Edit: 02/03/2018 07:05 PM by Salo »

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #58 on: 02/04/2018 09:03 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Anything wrapped in strikethrough tags is just appearing as normal text.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #59 on: 02/04/2018 09:27 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Anything wrapped in strikethrough tags is just appearing as normal text.

fixed :-)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1035
  • Likes Given: 1934
« Reply #60 on: 02/04/2018 10:22 PM »
Has anyone else been having the problem that every time you want to make a new post in any of the forums; you have to login to NSF again? It's not just on my pc - this happens on my tablet and phone as well.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #61 on: 02/04/2018 10:25 PM »
Has anyone else been having the problem that every time you want to make a new post in any of the forums; you have to login to NSF again? It's not just on my pc - this happens on my tablet and phone as well.

Check out the forum feedback thread. The short version is that the forum moved to SSL. If you have bookmarks you need to replace HTTP with HTTPS in all of the addresses.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #62 on: 02/04/2018 10:50 PM »
I replaced all the bookmarks, but it made no difference. And if one is using predominantly a Firefox browser; how is the new format for bookmarks achieved - automatically?! Potentially a layman's question that, but I'm finding the constant re-logging in a real headache. I had to re-login yet again to post this! :(

EDIT: I see that the new bookmark(s) are in fact https but when I return to it later - even if only 60 seconds on, login is required again - sometimes immediately. Same goes for tablet and phone browsers.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 10:54 PM by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #63 on: 02/04/2018 11:02 PM »
I replaced all the bookmarks, but it made no difference. And if one is using predominantly a Firefox browser; how is the new format for bookmarks achieved - automatically?! Potentially a layman's question that, but I'm finding the constant re-logging in a real headache. I had to re-login yet again to post this! :(

EDIT: I see that the new bookmark(s) are in fact https but when I return to it later - even if only 60 seconds on, login is required again - sometimes immediately. Same goes for tablet and phone browsers.
I keep getting logged out of multiple sites not just here with Firefox for the last couple of months with the new Quantum version.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #64 on: 02/04/2018 11:23 PM »
That may be but I'm constantly logged out on Chrome browser, too.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 11:24 PM by MATTBLAK »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1649
  • Likes Given: 3208
« Reply #65 on: 02/04/2018 11:34 PM »

Yes, happened to me too.  I'm also on Firefox.  I fixed it by getting rid of old NSF visits from my browsing history, that way only https hits were brought up (also need to change bookmarks to https if you're using them).  To do that either clear your whole history or open up "Show
All..." and in the search bar at the top type in "forum.nasaspaceflight.com".  Then just delete any that start with http instead of https.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #66 on: 02/05/2018 01:12 AM »
I just wanted to add for info that this has occurred to me on two different PCs and not just one isolated system... If we can't fix it, how is one to party! ;)
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 01:13 AM by Rocket Science »

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #67 on: 02/05/2018 01:56 AM »
I just wanted to add for info that this has occurred to me on two different PCs and not just one isolated system... If we can't fix it, how is one to party! ;)
Clear out your cache, check all your bookmarks, then log in. This was happening to others. If you can't get it sorted, take it to the forum feedback thread...

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44520

However, if it's something that happens in one browser, at multiple sites, it's the browser, not the sites. Use another browser to conifrm/deny the issue.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:02 AM by Lar »

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #68 on: 02/05/2018 02:03 AM »
It's all browsers, Lar. Well; I haven't tried it on Internet Explorer, but I haven't used that in years...

EDIT: I tried several days ago to get an answer by PM-ing a couple moderators - but I received no reply.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:05 AM by MATTBLAK »

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #69 on: 02/05/2018 02:03 AM »
I used < s > instead of [ s ] as a workaround.. glad that's sorted.

Party thread has a fair few people reporting they are still having to log in every time they move around, and claiming they cleared bookmarks, caches, etc, and are using the https: version. Directed them here but...

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42585 ... half dozen or so posts at the tail end of the last page.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #70 on: 02/05/2018 02:06 AM »
Matt: For you. For RS, all sites, one browser.

I cross posted to the thread I think this should be raised on, which I linked in my last post, that people here are reporting issues. Hopefully that helps.  I don't have details on implementation but know that my own errors went away when I cleared cache and checked URLs carefully to ensure they were https....

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 02/05/2018 02:13 AM »
1) No point cross posting. Everything should be in the feedback threads, so I've moved it here.

2) Matt is the only person, since Mark fixed it, to note an issue since. If it was a number of people, it would be the site. One person and it's local.

3) Mark has forced https through on http, so bookmark references are now irrelevant.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:13 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #72 on: 02/05/2018 02:14 AM »
I've been following your suggestions to clear all cache, history etc. There IS an improvement, but it's still buggy. I create a general bookmark that pins all my posts as a user, and regularly go back to check on responses - I prefer not to have alerts for replies and follow-up posts as it can potentially fill your email inbox with notifications. In other words; I prefer a manual control of my alerts and follow ups with a simple click of the bookmark and open some tabs for quick scanning of content. One of the best things that's ever been improved on this whole website is speeding up the frequency of being able to like posts :) because some of us can read pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:17 AM by MATTBLAK »

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #73 on: 02/05/2018 02:18 AM »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks. Also; It wasn't just me having this problem, that's a fact.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:19 AM by MATTBLAK »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #74 on: 02/05/2018 02:19 AM »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks.

Cool! Need everyone happy....although there's not much happening over the next few days, is there! ;D

Offline catdlr

« Reply #75 on: 02/05/2018 02:20 AM »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks. Also; It wasn't just me having this problem, that's a fact.

me too, it's much faster and best of all, my multi-year old gripe about the "unread Thread" function has been resolved.  Happy camper now.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #76 on: 02/05/2018 02:30 AM »
I was also having issues with Firefox logging me out, seems to have cleared up.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #77 on: 02/05/2018 11:13 AM »
Hmmm... It can go either way: it works well sometimes, then plays up again...

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1777
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #78 on: 02/06/2018 02:07 PM »
I'm not having issues of the site logging me out, but it's been acting like it has acted when we have had enormous numbers of people logged in.  Using Chrome on a PC, the site is sluggish and slow to load pages.

Click a link to open a thread, the site loading indicator starts up (so I can tell the selection was executed), and then it spins for up to four to eight seconds before anything else happens.  And when a page tries to load, graphics load somewhat slowly.  Not all the time, but a lot of the time.  Especially in the evenings, here in the CST time zone.

Other fora I frequent are not showing the same kind of performance lag; neither is my computer in general.  So, no, it's not my internet connection, and it's not my computer.

The sluggishness began right around the time when people started reporting the issues of getting logged out -- i.e., right when the site went to https support.  I don't individually bookmark sub-selections within the forum, I come directly into he forum page from a bookmark, but that's it.  Otherwise, I just use the forum's own navigation.  So, I've not had the issues of getting logged out, or having bookmarks that lack the secured https protocol.

Just... sluggish.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #79 on: 02/06/2018 02:11 PM »
Site's nice and fast for me Doug. I'm the guy who's literally running around it non stop for obvious reasons. :)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1990
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #80 on: 02/06/2018 02:38 PM »
My earlier post was moved to the troubles-with-tapatalk thread, so let me repeat just the forum-software part of it.

I used the "subscribed forums" view in tapatalk's almost exclusively to follow NSF.  Every few months or so I'll jump up to the full list of topics to subscribe to new mission threads, etc, but other than that it's all subscription view.

Is there a feature like that on the desktop forum? "Unread threads" is close, but too much of a fire hose.

If there's not already a "subscribed threads" view, that would be #1 on my wish list for new forum software.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #81 on: 02/06/2018 05:04 PM »
OK -- I can't imagine this was just me.  It went slower, then slower, then to Error 502 - Bad Gateway.  The site's server was showing as down to my ISP and, it said, to The Cloud.

Was down for about 40 minutes, I believe.

This one was NOT on my end... :(

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #83 on: 02/06/2018 08:26 PM »
Turned Likes off to deal with the server stress, did y'all?

Offline Tev

• Prague
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3628
« Reply #84 on: 02/06/2018 08:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I was confused whether it is my account / cache problem. Normally I would just like your post instead of replying but ... :D

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #85 on: 02/06/2018 08:38 PM »

Yes, and they are back on.

Mark

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #86 on: 02/06/2018 08:48 PM »

Mark
Good job today Mark! :)

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #87 on: 02/06/2018 10:53 PM »

Mark

Any idea how much that helped? I think registered users could live without likes for a while during heavy traffic periods, if it meant less frequent locking out guests.... I want my non spacey friends to come here and major events are the times they are most likely to....

(bravo for trying it!)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #88 on: 02/06/2018 11:13 PM »

Mark

Any idea how much that helped? I think registered users could live without likes for a while during heavy traffic periods, if it meant less frequent locking out guests.... I want my non spacey friends to come here and major events are the times they are most likely to....

(bravo for trying it!)

The 'likes' addon for SMF is pretty CPU intensive that's why I turned it off before locking out guests which is a " last resort" option. Today's load was unprecedented which despite all the tweaks and upgrades required me to use that option for a bit. Today is again another lesson learned in that area and we're gonna keep improving. We already have another round of improvements lined up but we were not able to implement them before today.

This means that for the coming events we can " be sure"  that turning off guests is no longer needed.

Mark

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
« Reply #89 on: 02/09/2018 03:55 PM »
Can't find it mentioned already but is there any way to jump back to the thread after a post instead of going back to the forum list? Would be nice to stay in the thread and continue from there.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #90 on: 02/09/2018 05:06 PM »
Can't find it mentioned already but is there any way to jump back to the thread after a post instead of going back to the forum list? Would be nice to stay in the thread and continue from there.

On your profile page under Modify Profile choose "Look and Layout", then check the box for "Return to topics after posting by default."

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
« Reply #91 on: 02/09/2018 05:10 PM »
Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that. I am officially a muppet.

thanks

On your profile page under Modify Profile choose "Look and Layout", then check the box for "Return to topics after posting by default."

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #92 on: 02/09/2018 05:19 PM »
Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that.

I vaguely remember getting really annoyed with the default forum behavior in the past and searching out that option.  I think it would be better to have that as the default behavior.  When your post appears on screen you can notice typos, whether the attachments worked (or you forgot them), whether someone else just posted the same thing, whether you were being a dick and should really just delete what you just posted (happens occasionally), etc.

Offline kevinof

• Dublin/London
« Reply #93 on: 02/09/2018 05:26 PM »
I agree - would have been nice if it was the default, just for those reasons - make sure you've no typos, nobody else has just said the same thing and so on - Lot's of other stuff to get done first so not a high priority.  I'm still a muppet!

I vaguely remember getting really annoyed with the default forum behavior in the past and searching out that option.  I think it would be better to have that as the default behavior.  When your post appears on screen you can notice typos, whether the attachments worked (or you forgot them), whether someone else just posted the same thing, whether you were being a dick and should really just delete what you just posted (happens occasionally), etc.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #94 on: 02/21/2018 05:53 AM »
The forum is showing "my" IP address on the right down corner of posts I've written.

... except that it's not my IP address. And it's not any transparent proxy of my isp either.

It's simply some totally wrong random ip address that has no relationship to me.

It seems the last post where my IP is correct is from end of january, post from 2.2 already has the bogus ip.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2018 05:54 AM by hkultala »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #95 on: 02/21/2018 12:12 PM »
The forum is showing "my" IP address on the right down corner of posts I've written.

... except that it's not my IP address. And it's not any transparent proxy of my isp either.

It's simply some totally wrong random ip address that has no relationship to me.

It seems the last post where my IP is correct is from end of january, post from 2.2 already has the bogus ip.

Yeah, when I went to remove a spammer I noticed two IP addresses, one was their naughty base IP address in BongoBongoLand and the other was to one of our cloud servers, so the forum must be displaying the server IP in posts for some reason. But all is good otherwise.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #96 on: 02/21/2018 12:23 PM »
I've also noticed today that our automated e-mails (where you get notification of a new PM etc.) have been classed as phishing by Microsoft's scoring system. No idea how to whitelist that so they come out of the spam folder, but yeah.....that's annoying.

Offline bjornl

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #97 on: 02/21/2018 05:05 PM »
Hey, today I got the attached ad in the public PAZ update thread. It is in badly translated Dutch and obvious clickbait: "Musk steps down", "Musk resigns after accusations". Not something you should want on a quality site like this.

Offline acsawdey

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 385
« Reply #98 on: 02/21/2018 06:46 PM »
Whatever you did to the page caching info in the served html is working great. Now when I hit the browser back button to go back from a forum thread to the forum listing (or most often "Unread Topics") it updates with any new posts. Before I always had do reload or F5 at that point.

Online Arb

• London
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #99 on: 02/22/2018 12:17 AM »
Whatever you did to the page caching info in the served html is working great. Now when I hit the browser back button to go back from a forum thread to the forum listing (or most often "Unread Topics") it updates with any new posts. Before I always had do reload or F5 at that point.

A dissenting opinion...

From time to time ctrl+click "New" on a forum listing (to open a topic in a new tab) fails for one reason or another. It used to be that returning to the (still open) forum listing tab allowed one to try again. Now "New" is instantly gone so one has to click to the topic's last page and then hunt for the earliest unread post; sometimes several pages back. Definitely a retrograde (ahem) step from my point of view :(

As is often the case with UI changes, what's really required is a user configurable option so we can all have our preferred way of working.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #100 on: 02/22/2018 11:58 PM »
I agree - would have been nice if it was the default, just for those reasons - make sure you've no typos, nobody else has just said the same thing and so on - Lot's of other stuff to get done first so not a high priority.  I'm still a muppet!

I must have changed this so long ago I forgot it wasn't the default behaviour... I can't see changing it back and agree it would be nice if it could be the default for all people (changing it might confuse some people that depended on the current behaviour though)

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #101 on: 02/23/2018 02:42 PM »

A dissenting opinion...

From time to time ctrl+click "New" on a forum listing (to open a topic in a new tab) fails for one reason or another. It used to be that returning to the (still open) forum listing tab allowed one to try again. Now "New" is instantly gone so one has to click to the topic's last page and then hunt for the earliest unread post; sometimes several pages back. Definitely a retrograde (ahem) step from my point of view :(

As is often the case with UI changes, what's really required is a user configurable option so we can all have our preferred way of working.

I can confirm that Ctrl+Click does not instantly clear the 'new' tag (at least not for me in chrome YMMV), so you should be fine.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2018 02:43 PM by mn »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #102 on: 02/26/2018 05:34 PM »
Good day NSF'ers and as always, great work by the NSF-Team. NASASpaceFlight.com, THE place for space!

Over the past couple months, I have noticed a change with the UNREAD TOPICS bar, in fact the change may have occurred when the allowable likes per duration was changed. 
Normally I come to the forums, click on Unread Topics, scroll to the last page of unread topics and begin to read posts. After I finish a post, I click on the BACK icon which brings me back to the Unread Topics list, then I select the next post from the Unread Topics list.  I guess I read the Unread Topics list in Chronological Order, from the oldest to the newest. If I don't make it to the site for a week or so, I can have around 15 pages of Unread Topics to read, it's awesome!

Now, when I read something I like, I use the "Like" button. Now here is the change I am experiencing, for every single like that I give in the same thread, in order to return I must hit the BACK icon the same number of times plus 1.  If I select a post from the Unread Topics list, and give 3 likes in that thread, I must hit the BACK icon 4 times to get back to the Unread Topics list.  If I leave  5 likes, I must hit the BACK icon 6 times to get back to the Unread Topics list. 
I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this or not?

I am really enjoying the new "semi-automatic" LIKE for every 2 seconds over the "black powder muzzle loading" 1 LIKE for every 120 seconds.
Thanks again, great work!
Paul

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #103 on: 02/26/2018 05:51 PM »
Each like causes a refresh of the view, so it's not surprising that you need to go back that many times....

It is interesting to hear how different people use the forum and read things.

My process is usually different. I refresh the recent topics then right click on each "NEW" and do an open in new tab. I fire off a bunch of those, go off and do something else, and then read them all in the order I opened them (usually from bottom to top). Hogs a lot of memory in Firefox but works fairly well.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #104 on: 02/26/2018 06:02 PM »
Each like causes a refresh of the view, so it's not surprising that you need to go back that many times....

It is interesting to hear how different people use the forum and read things.

My process is usually different. I refresh the recent topics then right click on each "NEW" and do an open in new tab. I fire off a bunch of those, go off and do something else, and then read them all in the order I opened them (usually from bottom to top). Hogs a lot of memory in Firefox but works fairly well.
It may Hog a lot of memory, but if it works for you that's great, anything else would be LARceny!
Paul

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #105 on: 02/26/2018 07:05 PM »
Chris I've been experiencing an odd thing on NSF lately. When I author a post and then preview it, in the preview I will often see "[/size][/font]" inserted in the 1st or 2nd line at the end of a sentence. Also where I have a single space between paragraphs it shows up as 2 spaces. When I go back to look at my text the extra spaces and "[/size][/font]" thing are also in my text. When I authored the text there was nothing there. Usually I simply delete them and post. But if I "add" a new paragraph before posting with a single space between it and the preceding paragraph, the preview will show that new single space as 2 spaces, in both the preview and when I go back to my text, there as well. On occasion, the "[/size][/font]" will also show up again. I'm running Chrome and this wasn't a problem before.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 02/26/2018 07:06 PM by clongton »

Offline mikelepage

« Reply #106 on: 02/28/2018 05:46 AM »
Then we work on bringing the forum software up a notch or three WITHOUT losing familiarity or ease of use. I've seen some sites completely change their forum and you're left shaking your head thinking "Why???" Yes, we have to upgrade, but man that will be a massive community crowdsource and discussion to get it right before we even think about changes.

Serious question Chris and not a joke from what you wrote above but it is the question I have..........Why?

The forums are the absolute best forums I have used anywhere and are using currently.  ;) ;)

Just curious as to the driving reasons for the bold part above.

Have to move on with the technology. But as previously noted, I've seen some sites die by making massive changes. Trick is to keep things familiar. Will be the biggest effort, but one where we really get the community involved with both technically and via discussion of how to do it.

Hi Chris, I don't envy you this job  :o  Have courage mate  :D

Although I still stand by my "tags" suggestion in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42036.msg1654286#msg1654286

I'm beginning to wonder if you might be in a situation where you really *have* to break the forum system and start afresh.  Ideally it will look and feel similar, but the code/underlying structure will be completely different/updated - and probably not backwards compatible.  The way you could make that less painful is to build a new forum (or fora) completely separate from the "legacy forum" just so people can see the options and then have a proper vote on it.

The understanding would be that everyone knows that if we vote to move forward, then on "d-day", the mods will lock all the threads in the legacy forum, but keep them viewable/linkable, preferably forever, but obviously that depends how much the forum costs you.  Alternatively you could keep it up for a year or so, and encourage anyone who wants to, to preserve threads using the "print" function - maybe you could also create a mechanism for people to download entire sections as zip files.  Or a way to save all the posts you have made as a user.

I think the really important thing if we do vote on new forum systems is for it not just to be a hard "yes/no" vote.  There has to be a "not yet - but I like where this is going" option as well.
« Last Edit: 02/28/2018 05:48 AM by mikelepage »

Online Michael Baylor

• Liked: 770
  • Likes Given: 349
« Reply #107 on: 02/28/2018 03:52 PM »
Hi Chris, I don't envy you this job  :o  Have courage mate  :D

Although I still stand by my "tags" suggestion in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42036.msg1654286#msg1654286

I'm beginning to wonder if you might be in a situation where you really *have* to break the forum system and start afresh.  Ideally it will look and feel similar, but the code/underlying structure will be completely different/updated - and probably not backwards compatible.  The way you could make that less painful is to build a new forum (or fora) completely separate from the "legacy forum" just so people can see the options and then have a proper vote on it.

The understanding would be that everyone knows that if we vote to move forward, then on "d-day", the mods will lock all the threads in the legacy forum, but keep them viewable/linkable, preferably forever, but obviously that depends how much the forum costs you.  Alternatively you could keep it up for a year or so, and encourage anyone who wants to, to preserve threads using the "print" function - maybe you could also create a mechanism for people to download entire sections as zip files.  Or a way to save all the posts you have made as a user.

I think the really important thing if we do vote on new forum systems is for it not just to be a hard "yes/no" vote.  There has to be a "not yet - but I like where this is going" option as well.

People will riot if there are any seismic changes to the forums.

Offline mikelepage

« Reply #108 on: 03/01/2018 03:47 AM »
People will riot if there are any seismic changes to the forums.

Well okay, but this forum was started in what, 2005? Are we really going to be using the same forum software in 2025? 2035? 2045?  This is the internet we're talking about, right?  ;D

Maybe it's nowhere near time to transition yet.  I'm just curious to hear if Chris has considered options and decided to stick with the current format for the foreseeable future, or whether the basic structure of the forum is locked in stone and we're limited to tinkering around the edges.

In any case, seems to me that Tags are the best near-term improvement, as I wrote previously.

Online mtakala24

« Reply #109 on: 03/01/2018 07:03 AM »
This forum software is the best there is, although some modern newcomers such has Discourse has some good features.

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #110 on: 04/09/2018 01:34 PM »
I am not sure if this is something that has been mentioned before or is something only i am experiencing (A issue with my own computer) I have noticed that when using the forum sometime when i click on a thread it takes me to a completely different thread than i clicked on sometimes not even in the same section.

When this happens most of the time i will end up in a thread in the same section but not always, For example i could click on a thread in the SpaceX general section and end up on the SLS Updates thread or somewhere in L2 (which i am a member of)

This is something that i noticed a while back but it only used to happen every now and agin, but recently it seems to be happening quite a lot. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this at all?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #111 on: 04/09/2018 01:38 PM »
I am not sure if this is something that has been mentioned before or is something only i am experiencing (A issue with my own computer) I have noticed that when using the forum sometime when i click on a thread it takes me to a completely different thread than i clicked on sometimes not even in the same section.

When this happens most of the time i will end up in a thread in the same section but not always, For example i could click on a thread in the SpaceX general section and end up on the SLS Updates thread or somewhere in L2 (which i am a member of)

This is something that i noticed a while back but it only used to happen every now and agin, but recently it seems to be happening quite a lot. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this at all?

Never heard or seen that. Can't for the life of me think how that could even happen. Makes no sense at all.

Very, very likely to be just you (happening for a while/no one else has noted it/if it happened to others, this thread would be full of people noting it). But out of interest the next time it happens. Note the thread you were in, the link you clicked and the error destination. If we can't repeat it then we'll know for sure.

Online dglow

• Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 1511
« Reply #112 on: 04/13/2018 10:27 PM »
A feature request: add some hysteresis when a post is edited immediately after submission. Most forums I visit do this. The benefit is that a user can post, notice a typo, and correct it straight away without their post being tagged with an "edited by User at Time" postscript.

This is more friendly and removes some unnecessary noise from the forum, including the common "EDIT: typo" explanations many feel compelled to add.

Some forums I see implement a timer, whereby edits made within X minutes of the original post are not tagged as such. Others additionally take into account whether the edited post is (still) the most recent in the thread.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #113 on: 04/14/2018 02:46 PM »
A feature request: add some hysteresis when a post is edited immediately after submission. Most forums I visit do this. The benefit is that a user can post, notice a typo, and correct it straight away without their post being tagged with an "edited by User at Time" postscript.

This is more friendly and removes some unnecessary noise from the forum, including the common "EDIT: typo" explanations many feel compelled to add.

Some forums I see implement a timer, whereby edits made within X minutes of the original post are not tagged as such. Others additionally take into account whether the edited post is (still) the most recent in the thread.

I agree. I hate it when it comes up with an edit message after I find a simple typo and correct it immediately. Will add it to the list.

Offline lamontagne

• Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #114 on: 04/29/2018 08:55 PM »
My notification system does not seem to work anymore  :'(

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #115 on: 04/29/2018 08:57 PM »

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

You're in the right thread.

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #116 on: 04/29/2018 09:42 PM »

Regards,

ML

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.

Thatís what happens to me. For years there has been no issue but suddenly a couple of months ago they started all going in my junk folder.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #117 on: 04/29/2018 09:52 PM »
On outlook you can mark them as not spam and they go to your inbox. After a week it seemed to work out "Oh, so not spam. Roger that!" and then everything was normal.

Other e-mail clients may have immediate white list options.

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #118 on: 04/30/2018 05:36 PM »

Regards,

ML

About a month or so ago I had the same problem and messaged Chris. He told me what he told you and there they all were in my spam folder. After a few days of marking "not spam" all was normal again.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2018 05:38 PM by clongton »

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #119 on: 04/30/2018 05:40 PM »
Chris I notice that the little box beside your name is green and says you are online.
But the little box beside my name is white and says I am offline.
Obviously that's wrong because here I am talking to you :)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #120 on: 04/30/2018 06:22 PM »
Chris I notice that the little box beside your name is green and says you are online.

Under your account settings see if the "Show others my online status" is checked?

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #121 on: 04/30/2018 11:47 PM »

Under your account settings see if the "Show others my online status" is checked?

It was not. Now it is. Thanks.

Offline lamontagne

• Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #122 on: 05/01/2018 12:05 PM »

Regards,

ML

Thanks for the reply!
Nope, not going to spam in Gmail.  But perhaps my internet provider is blocking you at a higher level (my mail is redirected from another account).  Will check them out as well.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #123 on: 05/01/2018 01:17 PM »

Regards,

ML

Thanks for the reply!
Nope, not going to spam in Gmail.  But perhaps my internet provider is blocking you at a higher level (my mail is redirected from another account).  Will check them out as well.

I can't get emails from NSF on my bellsouth.net accounts, they seem to block some random assortment of sites. Switching my NSF account to my Gmail address allowed me to finally get emails.

Offline WBailey

• Planet Earth
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #124 on: 05/02/2018 05:51 PM »
I noticed the buddies/ignore list has a few obsolete fields. AIM was discontinued last December, and MSN messenger was discontinued back in 2013.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #125 on: 05/02/2018 05:53 PM »
I noticed the buddies/ignore list has a few obsolete fields. AIM was discontinued last December, and MSN messenger was discontinued back in 2013.

Yep. I thought I had managed to remove the option of adding them, as they displayed as broken icons. Will see if there's a way to completely irradicate them, so we can all focus on posting links to your Myspace pages. ;D

Tags: