Author Topic: Space Art/Sketches  (Read 10356 times)

Offline AstroBeatle

Space Art/Sketches
« on: 09/03/2016 10:20 am »
Hello, NSF! I am looking to see whether any of you NSFers do some space art.
I am not an artist myself nor do I currently take art classes, but I figured yesterday that I might as well start a space sketching hobby after I drew this at school during 3 hours of freetime:

I apologize for the bad photo quality. It is a recreation of Buzz Aldrin saluting the US flag.

I originally did this out of boredom and the final drawing turned out better than expected given that I have not drawn anything seriously for 3 years. Again, I am not an artist and I did not use any particular technique here.

I want to know your opinions here! As for you space artists, I would love to see you post your work here, and I could sure use some advice to learn better techniques to apply in the future.
« Last Edit: 09/03/2016 10:24 am by AstroBeatle »

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
Re: Space Art/Sketches
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2016 04:29 pm »
Looks nice, you got the astronaut down pretty well. No LM though

I'm not much of a drawer, but I can do renders.

The Two Dragons

Starliner on Approach

CRS-9 Station Overview

HTV-6 Pre-Capture (incomplete)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2016 05:30 pm »
Hello, NSF! I am looking to see whether any of you NSFers do some space art.
I am not an artist myself nor do I currently take art classes, but I figured yesterday that I might as well start a space sketching hobby after I drew this at school during 3 hours of freetime

Well, I'm not an artist, but I think you are. That looks good.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2016 10:12 pm »
Yep , that pretty darn awesome!

Offline AstroBeatle

« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2016 11:18 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments, y'all!
I will be posting more drawings in this thread next week or two.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2016 11:19 pm by AstroBeatle »

Offline AstroBeatle

« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2016 11:20 pm »
Looks nice, you got the astronaut down pretty well. No LM though

I'm not much of a drawer, but I can do renders.

The Two Dragons

Starliner on Approach

CRS-9 Station Overview

HTV-6 Pre-Capture (incomplete)
Your renders are way too awesome. Extremely realistic.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Offline Marge Inovera

• Near Toronto
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 09/05/2016 02:38 pm »
Your sketch isn't too-o-o-o bad but it's lacking ... contrast. In every pencil sketch, there should be a Black and a White.

I hope these attachments show up ...  :-[    This pencil sketch was one I did almost 40 years ago and I've worked as an Illustrator since.

Here's a couple of colour ones too.

And your skill will all come back, you just need to keep doing it!

Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: 09/05/2016 02:40 pm by Marge Inovera »

Offline AstroBeatle

« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2016 03:03 pm »
Your sketch isn't too-o-o-o bad but it's lacking ... contrast. In every pencil sketch, there should be a Black and a White.

I hope these attachments show up ...  :-[    This pencil sketch was one I did almost 40 years ago and I've worked as an Illustrator since.

Here's a couple of colour ones too.

And your skill will all come back, you just need to keep doing it!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the advice! I have never been a serious visual artist all my life so I need to learn more skills and practice them. I actually do not incorporate any particular technique or skills in my drawings. And your art...I LOVE it.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 09/05/2016 03:58 pm »
I struggle with stick men drawings, so this is automatically going to be a thread of interest for me. There is something really impressive about renders, paintings and drawings.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline AstroBeatle

« Reply #9 on: 09/07/2016 02:51 pm »

New sketch in progress, everyone! This time a shuttle launch scene. I need to finish the launch pad and pencil shade everything including the background (although I have already shaded the shuttle stack a little bit) to give contrast and a more realistic element to my sketch.
(For the record, don't mind my Curiosity foam model in the background. )
« Last Edit: 09/07/2016 02:53 pm by AstroBeatle »

Offline AstroBeatle

« Reply #10 on: 09/11/2016 09:45 am »

My updated Buzz Aldrin drawing, now with a dark background.

Offline Marge Inovera

• Near Toronto
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: 09/13/2016 04:56 pm »
Yup ... that black background DOES make a difference!

Do you know the different types, the different softness, of leads?
What type are you using? 2H? 4H? HB? 2B? 4B?
The "B" means soft. The "H" means Hard. So 4H is harder than 2H and 4B is softer than HB. HB is a blend of hard and soft. To get, for instance, a nice dark black, you would use a 4B or 5B or 6B ... but I'll assume you know this.

I watched a YouTube video on Basic Pencil drawing ... once you get used to his accent, his info is pretty good.

Watch a few more and take from 'em what you want.

There's a lot to learn about drawing and most of it is simply ... observation. Look at how light falls on your subject and then ... just draw it!!   ;D

And using your imagination is fun too. For instance, the flag that Buzz is standing beside ... place the shadow that the flag and pole should cast ... by just drawing a line you can tell us, the viewer, that there's a crater or the lunar surface is smooth or whatever. Be aware of the sun angle too ...

By all means, enjoy what you're doing and keep posting!!

Offline brickmack

• USA
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2016 10:33 pm »
Couple new renders, for the OA-5 mission (yes, I know OA-5 isn't berthing at Harmony. I screwed up)

Offline brickmack

• USA
« Reply #13 on: 03/07/2017 12:35 am »
Huh... surprised at the lack of other content here. Anyway...

The SLS and Exploration Systems Development Concept of Operations and requirements documents make mention of a notional "Orion Kick Stage" for some missions. This is essentially a standard Orion service module, with the CM and all related hardware stripped, carrying a payload in its place. It is conceptually similar to proposed (and occasionally flown) derivatives of Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, TKS, and Federatsiya. Depending on specific mission requirements, it could be used to provide an additional boost to payloads going to extremely high energy orbits (to the edge of the solar system for instance), as an orbital maneuvering stage to position payloads days or weeks after the end of ICPS or EUS's operational life, or perhaps even as a bus for extremely large unmanned spacecraft. On a cislunar launch, it could greatly increase payload delivered to lunar orbit beyond what is possible on a co-manifested launch with Orion (both from the elimination of unnecessary hardware from Orion, and reduced maneuvering requirements after delivery to the final orbit). Here, I present the notional flight of a large habitat module to lunar DRO in support of a station there.

1. Kick Stage plus habitat/lab module for cislunar station separate from spent iCPS following trans-lunar injection

2 and 3. In high lunar orbit, kick Stage/payload stack are grappled and berthed to the station

4. Just Dragon and Cygnus at the cislunar station.

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #14 on: 04/18/2017 12:19 am »
Amazing art and renders from truly gifted people. Be interested to see more.

I'm hopeless at any sort of art but have been playing around with Terragen 4 a landscaping generating program. The latest version can do planetary scenes, so I've been making some "Alien Vistas".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacemodelsphotography/albums/72157678554507833

Keith

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
« Reply #15 on: 04/20/2017 11:27 pm »
Anastasiya Prosochkina and Aleksey Mazur posted some rather stunning acrylic paintings over on r/SpaceX. I highly recommend taking a look at them on the artists' website. I find the "Of course I still love you" and "Blue Origin: New Glenn" pieces to be particularly striking.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2017 11:29 pm by Navier–Stokes »

Offline brickmack

• USA
« Reply #16 on: 08/03/2017 11:03 pm »
A few recent ones. First one, concept of a Cargo Dragon 2 without SuperDraco nacelles (if the nacelles are indeed fully removed). Second and third, after Orion separates from EUS, the USA is jettisoned and Orion turns around to extract its comanifested payload: in this case, a Node module for the DSG (Okan already informed me that I overlooked that USA has been selected to use the single-piece configuration that would deploy vertically, not this clamshell design. Oops).
« Last Edit: 08/03/2017 11:04 pm by brickmack »

Offline ZachF

• Immensely complex & high risk
  • NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 2604
  • Likes Given: 531
« Reply #17 on: 08/08/2017 06:15 pm »
Here's one of Apollo 8 that I haven't finished...
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 06:16 pm by ZachF »
artist, so take opinions expressed above with a well-rendered grain of salt...
https://www.instagram.com/artzf/

Offline brickmack

• USA
« Reply #18 on: 08/26/2017 02:58 am »
A lunar lander was part of Boeing's recently-presented DSG concept, allowing periodic access to the lunar surface and partial reusability. Here it is shown undocking in preparation for deorbit. A SpaceX Lunar Dragon is shown docked to the forward node, providing crew transport services complementing Orion and other vehicles, while a Russian TGK-PG is docked to the Russian airlock module to provide logistics support.

Saw a suggestion for some art of this lander a few days ago. The ascent module cabin is kind of a hard shape to get right...

Here's one of Apollo 8 that I haven't finished...

Ever get that one finished? Looks good so far.

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #19 on: 06/02/2018 10:10 pm »
Back in the late 1970s, I spent many hours constructing a lunar surface for space art photography. When I developed my first roll of black and white, I discovered that the negatives has been somehow exposed to static electricity. Not sure how it happened, but it instantly turned the pictures into science fiction. Even my Salyut-class lunar orbiter wasn't spared of the attack! I took hundreds of these shots, and in the days before Photoshop, sandwiched the negatives to get the spaceships (fashioned around tin cans) flying over the moons surface.

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #20 on: 06/02/2018 10:33 pm »
Completed shot. I even tried to get the antenna to point to Earth when I took this shot. Taken early 1980, two sandwiched negatives. No Photoshop in those days.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81660
  • Likes Given: 36933
« Reply #21 on: 06/03/2018 06:14 am »
"Falcon Heavy at Sunset"

By J. Yuricich

#SpaceX #STEAM

https://twitter.com/nova_road/status/1003083885897543680