Author Topic: How (and Why) SpaceX Will Colonize Mars  (Read 136396 times)

Offline alexterrell

• Germany
  • Liked: 184
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: How (and Why) SpaceX Will Colonize Mars
« Reply #460 on: 01/26/2016 02:27 pm »

Send over 10 thousand Raspberry Pi's. That should keep them in basic computer power for some years!

Looking at my Raspberry Pi, about 2/3 of the mass is the PCB. i think it might be better to send over the components, along with a pick and place machine (or the complex parts there-of, with the main bits digitally printed).

Offline Hotblack Desiato

• Austria
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #461 on: 01/26/2016 02:30 pm »

Send over 10 thousand Raspberry Pi's. That should keep them in basic computer power for some years!

Looking at my Raspberry Pi, about 2/3 of the mass is the PCB. i think it might be better to send over the components, along with a pick and place machine (or the complex parts there-of, with the main bits digitally printed).

At some point, mars should be capable of producing most of the components, leaving just the silicon die.

One thing that gets me thinking (but that's already quite OT): Space vacuum is several magnitudes cleaner than even the best vacuums on earth. So without the requirement of a clean-room, it should be easier to produce microprocessors.

Offline alexterrell

• Germany
« Reply #462 on: 01/26/2016 02:36 pm »
It'd be rough for Mars if they lost Earth. Just to think of an example:
Yes - but that's probably a different topic

I actually think Mars will be importing solar cells for a while. Either thin film cells deposited in a flexible substrate or IMM type cells in a thinned substrate, if you package just cells and build the structure for arrays on Mars, a single MCT load could send hundreds of Megawatts or even a Gigawatt of cells. A Large Mars colony would need just a few Gigawatts (average power). Photovoltaics need a huge demand to be as cost effective as they are today, similar to computer chips, though at lower scale you can still produce cells (at higher cost).
With thin films, Earth might ship them the "ink cartridges", and the printer. Then they get printed onto locally produced aluminium foil, which accounts for the bulk of the mass.

I think this is how we'd also make Earth Space solar power work if we ever went down the "High Frontier" route.

With conventional solar cells, it's a question of mass payback - do we ship the equipment, or the end result. Of course, if we use the solar cells to ship the product via high Isp electric drive, then we have it there - at least in orbit.

My current thinking is that the SSP stations would be made on Phobos, put into Mars synchronous orbit, and beam their power to the Mars surface.

Offline JamesH

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #463 on: 01/26/2016 03:50 pm »

At some point, mars should be capable of producing most of the components, leaving just the silicon die.

One thing that gets me thinking (but that's already quite OT): Space vacuum is several magnitudes cleaner than even the best vacuums on earth. So without the requirement of a clean-room, it should be easier to produce microprocessors.

Bearing in mind there are very few places on Earth where you can find silicon of the appropriate quality for chip manufacture, I suspect it would be even harder on Mars. On the other hand, it might be easier!

However, chip manufacture is an immensely expensive procedure here on Earth (Modern fabs cost many billions) , and I think for many decades it would be cheaper to import devices from where the fabs are already constructed.

Offline alexterrell

• Germany
« Reply #464 on: 01/26/2016 04:40 pm »

I remember one of my early space books talking about all the stuff they were going to make in space - new materials and pharmaceuticals.

I suppose as Mars doesn't have space vacuum, it's a toss up between Earth orbit and Mars orbit. Could it be worth building a "fab" in space? I assume GEO would be a good place.

Offline Hotblack Desiato

• Austria
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #465 on: 01/26/2016 04:55 pm »

I remember one of my early space books talking about all the stuff they were going to make in space - new materials and pharmaceuticals.

I suppose as Mars doesn't have space vacuum, it's a toss up between Earth orbit and Mars orbit. Could it be worth building a "fab" in space? I assume GEO would be a good place.

Space is easier to reach, when you are on the martian surface. MCT is supposed to be a SSTO that should be capable of directly reaching earth without refueling. So it should be capable of carrying quite a payload, if it is just supposed to reach a LMO or MMO (Medium Mars Orbit). Furthermore, it should be possible to construct a TSTO like BFR to reach any mars orbit. Such a construction should be able to send hundreds of tons of payload to space.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography