Author Topic: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 13 EOM-1 - FCS C/O, RCS Hotfire, PicoSat  (Read 140224 times)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Ascent imagery highlights now on
« Last Edit: 07/20/2011 03:12 am by robertross »

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
Back in the Shuttle FCR. A room full of great people who should never ever walk into a bar without people offering them a drink.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
And that's it for me tonight. Godspeed Atlantis, on your final flew laps around the Earth.

Offline Carl G

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 140
a worthy idea for others to try, but i'd already gone there -- they passed overhead a little before 4 this afternoon, and the ISS next appears about 45 minutes after sunrise/atlantis's landing tomorrow morning.

They aren't landing tomorrow morning.

It's Wednesday east of the United States. Landing is on Thursday ;)

Great response on the thread by the way. Very touching.

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
We're going to defer the idea for personal tributes until Atlantis safely on the ground. We have to work like MOD, and try and come with one percent of their amazing standards, given they'll have their game faces on until the crew are off the vehicle, so we should too.

However, I do think it would be nice for us all to give Atlantis and the SSP a respectful, honorable and celebratory (as much as I know it's a tough word to use with the end of the program) manner. They deserve nothing less.

This is likely to be the last ever full day where a Space Shuttle is on orbit and thus the last ever live coverage thread for a full day on orbit.

I've always believed these threads should be interactive, and while the site's grown from 20 shuttle huggers and a few NASA guys to a monster, along with parts of the forum becoming an extension of the news site - with specific updaters and uniformed elements of coverage - this "last day" should be marked by all.

So, pretty much anyone can post, as much as it needs to be on topic or an update. Feel free to make your mark, because I can assure you, people will be looking at these mission threads in years and years to come. There might be something special about seeing your "name" on one of the updates, especially in say 10 years time - as you gain a reminder of where you where in the final hours large winged spacecraft sailed in the heavens.

The moderators will be very liberal over this. So don't feel you need to cram in a load of checklists and handbooks before you can post. Heck, it could just be a nice view via NASA TV, or something that was said on the loop. It could even be "I'm going to miss these amazing machines".

The opportunity for people to post their feelings and tributes to the fleet - and those who have rode in them and cared for them - will come after landing, but make no mistake about how historic the next 24-36 or so will be.

Great post, especially when read *UPDATE* with the Ascent Imagery highlights music playing in another window *UPDATE* :)

I will express my thoughts after landing, but I know I'll be repeating what's already been said. Hail Atlantis, Hail the fleet, her engineers, techs, controllers and managers.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
Ascent highlights are better a 2nd time round I think, or maybe I was just cranky yesterday.  ;D
- Aaron

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
Heck of a video every time you see it.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
I just saw it for the first time, and it was thrilling. I loved the musical choices, and how the footage was edited together. Atlantis truly soared!

David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Rob Navias noting that weather forecast for the 1st landing attempt for KSC on Thursday morning is looking extremely good, "virtually perfect"!

If we are go for the 1st opportunity, landing will occur at 5:56am EDT, on runway 15.

If we have to use the 2nd opportunity, landing will occur at 7:32am EDT (in daylight) on runway 15.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Beautiful view of Earth from Atlantis. This Ku live coverage will end tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 07/20/2011 03:49 am by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
When my wife and I are blessed with Children, I will take them through a shuttle mission, with videos, one of these threads and articles, because I honestly think children will not be inspired by small capsules. They'll never have the majesty of shuttle orbiters. Hopefully seeing some orbiters will lead them to inquire about the other vehicles.
« Last Edit: 07/20/2011 03:54 am by Mark Max Q »

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Fergie calling down to the ground:

Good morning to MCC folks. Thanks them for coming in for this final shift. Has some timeline questions.

Fergie notes that PILOT ops (shuttle landing simulation software) are complete. Wonders if there are any restrictions on starting the FCS (Flight Control System) checkouts early.

MCC will consider and get back to Atlantis.
Space launches attended:

Offline Chris Bergin

Wow, go for a nap and come back to four pages of lots of individual comments, this is great stuff guys!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
MCC: We are okay for the earlier FCS checkouts. Notes that the RCS hotfire tests will occur in darkness if moved earlier. No problem for MCC, as long as Atlantis activates payload bay lights.

Fergie takes time to thanks specific folks who've contributed to the success of the program over the years.
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
PAO Rob Navias noting that the picosat deployment will now occur after the FCS and RCS checkouts.
Space launches attended:

Offline Chris Bergin

PAO Rob Navias noting that the picosat deployment will now occur after the FCS and RCS checkouts.

And we're hoping for the last ever images of a shuttle in space at that point.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
MCC to Atlantis: State vector and target for your SEP-3 burn are coming up.
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC

And we're hoping for the last ever images of a shuttle in space at that point.

I sure hope so, Chris. That will be a very special moment indeed.
Space launches attended:

Offline Chris Bergin

Reminder of when one of my friends Nick came round, saw this very screen and looked at me with a baffled expression, after seeing her "flying upside down and backwards" ;D

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
PAO Rob Navias noting that latest info on the deorbit burn time for the 1st opportunity on Thursday: Deorbit burn at 4:49:04am EDT, with landing at 5:56:58am EDT.

The 2nd opportunity has a deorbit burn at 6:25:44 EDT, with a landing at 7:32:55am EDT (in daylight).

Weather continues to look excellent.
Space launches attended:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography