Author Topic: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 140076 times)

Offline pmandtm

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #60 on: 01/23/2010 12:43 am »
My wife and I will be first time congressional ticket viewers.  Are there any concessions at the viewing site for those tickets?

It is my understanding that the ticket package will arrive about a week ahead of launch or is this a total on-line thing where we print everything from an email?

A phone call to the number provided at NASA HQ only yielded an unanswering recorded message.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #61 on: 01/24/2010 02:33 am »
Yes there is concession, gift shop ( I spent too much money there during STS-129 lol) It is the same thing as the regular causeway tickets. At least it was for my trip during STS-129.  :)
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline sts126

« Reply #62 on: 01/25/2010 01:15 am »
the 2 times I have gone "congressional" I was at the Banana Creek VIP site . You will have access to the Apollo/Saturn V museum, everyting is open food, restrooms even the shows/displays within the complex were up and running. this was for 126/127 . Also you can send keepsake envelops with mission profile/ facts for $1 a piece that will get a KSC cancellation on the stamp via usps.  They will sell you stamps if you don't bring any, just remember to have addresses of those you want to send 'em to.
For congressional tickets, expect a mailing that will have some info. Normally they meet at the Sears at Merritt Island Mall south of ksc about 3 hours or so prior to launch. Bus you nonstop to Apollo. for one of the scrub attempts they had us meet at visitor center, but that attempt was scrubbed also well ahead of time. Guess it sort of depends number of invites and timing. Will be interesting to see for this early morning launch which I plan on attending somewhere.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2010 01:23 am by sts126 »
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #63 on: 01/25/2010 11:18 pm »
STS126, that stamp thing sounds wonderful. Is that just for congressional ticket holders, or is it for people who have the visitor center tickets too?

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #64 on: 01/25/2010 11:51 pm »
STS126, that stamp thing sounds wonderful. Is that just for congressional ticket holders, or is it for people who have the visitor center tickets too?

They sell them every flight in the visitor center gift shop, though they sometimes sell out very quickly it seems.  If you are around until after landing you can get the envelope canceled with the landing date also.  Attaching a pic of the STS-129 launch canceled envelope as an example.  They will have a writeup in the envelope about the mission, crew and patch too.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2010 11:51 pm by lsullivan411 »

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #65 on: 01/26/2010 12:18 am »
That is really neat. I would not mind sending one to myself.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: 01/27/2010 12:14 pm »
the 2 times I have gone "congressional" I was at the Banana Creek VIP site . You will have access to the Apollo/Saturn V museum, everyting is open food, restrooms even the shows/displays within the complex were up and running. this was for 126/127 . Also you can send keepsake envelops with mission profile/ facts for $1 a piece that will get a KSC cancellation on the stamp via usps.  They will sell you stamps if you don't bring any, just remember to have addresses of those you want to send 'em to.
For congressional tickets, expect a mailing that will have some info. Normally they meet at the Sears at Merritt Island Mall south of ksc about 3 hours or so prior to launch. Bus you nonstop to Apollo. for one of the scrub attempts they had us meet at visitor center, but that attempt was scrubbed also well ahead of time. Guess it sort of depends number of invites and timing. Will be interesting to see for this early morning launch which I plan on attending somewhere.

The one time I got a ticket through my senator's office, for STS-117, it was for the causeway. I am a little surprised to hear others have gotten to the Banana River site with a congressional pass so it makes me wonder if I got on the wrong bus that time. ;) But I can hardly complain. The causeway experience is great too.

I look forward to being there for 130. I plan to stay until Feb. 10 so I can see the SDO launch on the 9th. Any advice on what is the best place to watch that from?

Offline kermit

• Reston, Virginia USA
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #67 on: 01/27/2010 01:33 pm »

I look forward to being there for 130. I plan to stay until Feb. 10 so I can see the SDO launch on the 9th. Any advice on what is the best place to watch that from?

There is a chance they will run the Visitors center tour busses direct to the Saturn V center on launch  day. That would be the best viewing, but the busses normally do not start until 10:00 AM which would be cutting it close time wise. There is also a good view from the VC parking lot but you can not see the pad from there.

Playalinda beach is good too, but lately they have been closing it for Atlas launches. Call the National Seashore office (321-267-1110) several days before and they can tell you if it will be open.

Another spot with a good view is Space View Park in Titusville or Rt 406 east of the Max Brewer bridge if the Beach road is closed.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #68 on: 01/28/2010 04:17 pm »
How early do they usually start busing people out to the Saturn V center for launch viewing? Thanks

Offline kermit

• Reston, Virginia USA
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #69 on: 01/28/2010 04:22 pm »
How early do they usually start busing people out to the Saturn V center for launch viewing? Thanks

Witness an Atlas V Rocket Lift Off on a Mission to the Sun!
Mission: Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO)
Launch Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Launch Window: 10:30 a.m. -11:30 a.m. ET
Launch schedule subject to change.

Arrive Early! The Atlas V rocket will launch NASA's SDO spacecraft on an unprecedented mission to study the sun and its dynamic behavior. Onboard telescopes will scrutinize sunspots and solar flares.

Special launch viewing is available from the Apollo/Saturn V Center. Guests may also view the launch from the main Visitor Complex. For viewing from the Apollo/Saturn V Center, guests must board a bus by 9:30 a.m.

Don't miss this opportunity to witness the powerful Atlas V rocket lift off from NASA's launch headquarters. SDO launch viewing included with KSCVC admission.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #70 on: 01/28/2010 04:32 pm »
Whoops sorry, I meant for the shuttle launch.

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
« Reply #71 on: 01/28/2010 07:41 pm »

Viewing a shuttle launch from the Saturn V Center is for VIP's only.

Offline sts126

« Reply #72 on: 01/29/2010 05:56 am »
Whoops sorry, I meant for the shuttle launch.
From VC people line up about half hour before the earliest time they list which is a good 3 hours or so prior to launch 2hours prior is pretty much the last bus give or take. For the May 09 launch of sts125 the line extended snaked around rocket garden but did move steadily. and had you waited inside you would still get there in time but earlier buses park further west which for nasa causeway gets you slightly closer.
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline John M

• Upstate SC
« Reply #73 on: 01/31/2010 10:49 pm »
Since 130 is going up at night, accually early in the morning, I rememebr a couple of years back, we were able to see one of them, I cant recall which now, that we in upstate SC were suppose to be able to see, but cload cover prevented this. I assume it was just more or less like a shooting star from here. Does anyone know if we would be able to see it this time, assuming cloauds arent a factor? Getting up earlyto watch it on NasaTV, thought it might be cool if I could see it outside.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #74 on: 01/31/2010 11:00 pm »
Yep, all the way up the east coast.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline John M

• Upstate SC
« Reply #75 on: 01/31/2010 11:13 pm »
Cool!Now if mother nature will cooperate!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #76 on: 01/31/2010 11:40 pm »
http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/blog/category/astronomicalchronicles?page=3

About half way down the page is a video of what you can expect to see.  Also, there is a graphic of the "cone of visibility" for a night launch to the ISS.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2010 11:41 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #77 on: 01/31/2010 11:45 pm »
This map gives you a good idea of visibilty of shuttle launches (after sunset or before sunrise) on the east coast.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/f/090309-shuttle-spot-map-02crop.jpg

I've seen quite a few from Long Island, N.Y. and hope the weather is clear for what might be the last night shuttle launch.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #78 on: 02/01/2010 10:21 am »
http://celestrak.com/events/sts-130-launch.asp

===

STS 130 (Endeavour) is currently scheduled to launch from the Kennedy Space Center, Launch Complex 39A, to the International Space Station (ISS) at 04:39:47.000 Eastern Standard Time on 2010 February 7 (09:39:47.000 UTC). To help illustrate this event, I created an AGI Viewer file for the ascent portion of the launch trajectory—from liftoff to main engine cutoff (MECO)—using data obtained from NASA.

As currently scheduled, this launch is set to go in the early morning of February 7 on the US East Coast, so this will be a night launch and should be quite spectacular. With only five shuttle launches left, this is one to be sure not to miss. Of course, I am always interested to hear reports of successful sightings of the launch, so feel free to send them to me via e-mail, along with suggestions for how I could make this information more useful.

To give a sense of what can be seen in the AGI Viewer file, some selected screen shots are included below, along with a description of the information provided herein.

[...]

Offline pmandtm

« Reply #79 on: 02/01/2010 05:24 pm »
Have any congressional viewers for STS130 received their email from NASA HQ?  According to my last email, they were supposed to give arrival information a week or so ahead of time.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography