Author Topic: XCOR and the Lynx rocket  (Read 480649 times)

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 331
  • Likes Given: 1771
Re: XCOR and the Lynx rocket
« Reply #1260 on: 02/10/2018 03:37 PM »
Let's buy a Lynx!!!!
The real question is, whose front yard do we put it in?

If Chris's, how do we get it across the ocean?
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 376
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #1261 on: 02/10/2018 05:14 PM »
Let's buy a Lynx!!!!
The real question is, whose front yard do we put it in?

If Chris's, how do we get it across the ocean?

I suspect that there would be iTAR issues getting it to Chris.   I'd see if Jeff Greason wanted it ...

Offline Zond

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1262 on: 03/24/2018 12:37 PM »
Quote from: Ben Brockert
Anyone know Lyn Freeman? He appears to have bought XCOR for $1M.
https://twitter.com/wikkit/status/976969836344459264

Online Archibald

• Liked: 407
  • Likes Given: 1000
... that ackward moment when you realize that Jeff Bezos personal fortune is far above NASA annual budget... 115 billion to 18 billion...

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1264 on: 03/24/2018 07:10 PM »
Interesting; I wonder if he is going to focus on the rocketplane side, or the engine side. An up-rated 4A3 seems like a good fit for his Build A Rocket kit: http://www.buildaplane.com/what-is-build-a-rocket/
I tried it at home

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2680
  • Likes Given: 6978
« Reply #1265 on: 03/25/2018 06:47 PM »
Interesting; I wonder if he is going to focus on the rocketplane side, or the engine side. An up-rated 4A3 seems like a good fit for his Build A Rocket kit: http://www.buildaplane.com/what-is-build-a-rocket/
Great, why not both? Maybe I'll get to build my own ME-163 Komet that doesn't explode upon landing... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5891
  • Likes Given: 1699
« Reply #1266 on: 04/20/2018 05:35 PM »
Bankrupt Spaceflight Company's Assets to Help Young Minds Soar
By Douglas Messier, Space.com Contributor | April 20, 2018 12:46pm ET

MOJAVE, Calif. Before it went bankrupt last year, XCOR Aerospace had ambitious plans to fly tourists to space with the company's fully reusable Lynx suborbital vehicle. But now, the company's assets will be used for a more down-to-Earth purpose: giving high school and college students hands-on experience with rockets and space technology.

A nonprofit organization called Build A Plane purchased XCOR's assets at auction for just under $1.1 million, according to court records.

https://www.space.com/40352-xcor-aerospace-lynx-space-plan-stem-education.html

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1267 on: 05/25/2018 12:54 AM »
I don't know if anyone would find this interesting, but here is one of the few (maybe only?) public videos of the 5H25 hydrogen engine firing. It showed up briefly on the XCOR youtube channel before being taken down, but it was copied and uploaded by someone else before it was pulled.

I tried it at home

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1121
  • Likes Given: 7541
« Reply #1268 on: 05/25/2018 06:59 AM »
I don't know if anyone would find this interesting, but here is one of the few (maybe only?) public videos of the 5H25 hydrogen engine firing. It showed up briefly on the XCOR youtube channel before being taken down, but it was copied and uploaded by someone else before it was pulled.

Very clean burn. Expected more heat shimmer.
Is that Doug Jones on the audio?
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1269 on: 05/25/2018 11:22 AM »
No, I don't think he was out there for this firing.
I tried it at home

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1121
  • Likes Given: 7541
« Reply #1270 on: 05/25/2018 03:41 PM »
No, I don't think he was out there for this firing.
Thanks.

You're point about the possibilities of conformal LOX tanks being viable (on another thread) if the ullage pressure was low enough was very interesting. I don't think I've seen it suggested elsewhere. REL are planning a flight test vehicle for their air breathing SABRE engine that looks like a D-21 drone. The D21 used wing tanks but I can't figure out how they will do this with LH2.
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1271 on: 05/25/2018 10:22 PM »
You're point about the possibilities of conformal LOX tanks being viable (on another thread) if the ullage pressure was low enough was very interesting. I don't think I've seen it suggested elsewhere. REL are planning a flight test vehicle for their air breathing SABRE engine that looks like a D-21 drone. The D21 used wing tanks but I can't figure out how they will do this with LH2.
I was referring specifically to the kerosene tanks on Lynx and the X-Racer (as those are the only examples I know if in the rocket world), although I don't see why you couldn't make it work with LOX or LH2.
I tried it at home

Tags: