Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110794 times)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #140 on: 10/09/2017 11:55 pm »
It looks to me as if this series could be about the foundation of Section 31. This could explain the technology thing as perhaps they have access to more advanced technology.

I also think it is about Section 31, but Section 31 was already around in the "Star Trek: Enterprise" timeframe 100 years earlier (see the episode "Divergence"). Also, the post-series Enterprise novels have Trip still alive (his death in the series finale was faked) and is an agent for Section 31.

For those new to this, "Section 31" is the Federation's "CIA-like" secret service. It was a recurring storyline on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Admiral Marcus in "Star Trek Into Darkness" was also evidently a Section 31 officer.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #141 on: 10/16/2017 12:34 am »
Another first for Star Trek!! :o  I won't spoil it...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #142 on: 10/16/2017 04:56 am »
Another first for Star Trek!! :o  I won't spoil it...

Looked like a few firsts.  I wasn't fond of this show at the beginning, and I am still not super excited.  But it looks to be a show that has to develop its plot line before you can really judge it.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #143 on: 10/16/2017 05:05 am »
In all honesty, I don't understand why they are combining this series and the name Star Trek. Well, other than trying to milk the brand.

Exactly same stories without the twisted version of Star Trek universe they're building here would probably be a fine show.

But Star Trek it ain't.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #144 on: 10/16/2017 02:16 pm »
But Star Trek it ain't.

This last episode, "Choose Your Pain" was very Star Trek-like, and not coincidentally the best episode yet.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #145 on: 10/16/2017 03:22 pm »
This last episode, "Choose Your Pain" was very Star Trek-like, and not coincidentally the best episode yet.

So here's an article arguing that it wasn't very Star Trek-like:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/and-now-star-trek-discovery-has-lost-its-soul-1819493876

Lots of spoilers there, so be warned.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #146 on: 10/16/2017 06:38 pm »

https://io9.gizmodo.com/and-now-star-trek-discovery-has-lost-its-soul-1819493876

Lots of things to find fault with in that review, though. Such as the slam about "male privilege" in the list of captains, even though one on the list is a woman, and this despite the fact that The Original Series strongly implied women were not starship Captains (a claim now ignored by both Enterprise and Discovery.) Lorca is definitely not a nice guy, but we've seen plenty of bad captains in Star Trek before (Tracey, Ransom, Harriman, Maxwell, etc.) that Lorca is bad doesn't make this un-Trek. We're just seeing Star Trek from the point of view that not every starship has Kirk or Picard as a Captain. They're also making some assumptions about Lorca and Ash that I believe are not yet warranted there.
« Last Edit: 10/16/2017 06:41 pm by Thorny »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #147 on: 10/16/2017 07:45 pm »
Glad to see we’ve now got a moral centre character in the Doctor, Trek always seems to have one of those and it’s often an important way into the show for the viewer. By far the most Trek episode I thought and the one I most could imagine appearing in previous Trek shows minus the swearing. Agree the Klingons are getting boring now.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: 10/16/2017 07:48 pm »
Lots of things to find fault with in that review, though. Such as the slam about "male privilege" in the list of captains, even though one on the list is a woman

You do realize you're not making the case you think you're making, right?

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #149 on: 10/16/2017 07:54 pm »

I guess the person who wrote that never watched DS9.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #150 on: 10/16/2017 08:09 pm »
So, anyone got any thoughts about the last few seconds of Ep 5?

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #151 on: 10/16/2017 08:13 pm »

You mean the fact that (spoilers--although not really), for the first time in Trek, we have an openly gay couple?

Trek's pretty late to the party. Other science fiction shows did that quite awhile ago.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #152 on: 10/16/2017 08:15 pm »

You mean the fact that (spoilers--although not really), for the first time in Trek, we have an openly gay couple?

Trek's pretty late to the party. Other science fiction shows did that quite awhile ago.

But rarely with men.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #153 on: 10/16/2017 08:15 pm »
Nope, after that.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #154 on: 10/16/2017 08:16 pm »
We really need to decide on spoiler policy for this thread.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #155 on: 10/16/2017 08:42 pm »
We really need to decide on spoiler policy for this thread.

I used to think that, but gave up years ago. The only "policy" that works is self-censorship: if you don't want to risk spoilers, then don't read any article or thread about the subject matter until you have watched the episode. You cannot expect people to wait for everybody to see it.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #156 on: 10/16/2017 08:52 pm »
Cool, that's what I've been doing myself.

What I was hinting about above was that Paul Stamets reflection in the mirror is no longer in sync with him. I hope this isn't some reference to the 'mirror universe' of past treks.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #157 on: 10/16/2017 09:03 pm »
Cool, that's what I've been doing myself.

What I was hinting about above was that Paul Stamets reflection in the mirror is no longer in sync with him. I hope this isn't some reference to the 'mirror universe' of past treks.

Well they’ve already said there will be a mirror universe episode.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #158 on: 10/16/2017 09:03 pm »
1-Cool, that's what I've been doing myself.

2-What I was hinting about above was that Paul Stamets reflection in the mirror is no longer in sync with him. I hope this isn't some reference to the 'mirror universe' of past treks.

1-If you are referring to what I wrote about spoilers, it is really the only thing that works, because there's so much media out there and so many places it is being discussed, somebody is going to spoil it. So you have to shield your eyes.

(As an aside: my local TV critic wrote a big article about this a year or two ago after somebody ranted at him for spoiling a plot point in a television show that had aired a year earlier. He finally came out and said it: shows and movies are now appearing in so many different ways and on so many different platforms that expecting people to adhere to old-fashioned spoiler policies was impractical. When Netflix releases an entire season of something instantly, and many people binge-watch it, they may want to discuss that entire season the very next day. So why are their interests less important than the interests of people who wait a week or a month or a year? They're not. So we all have to readjust and control what we expose ourselves to.)

2-Go look up the tweet from Jonathan Frakes a few weeks ago.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #159 on: 10/16/2017 09:10 pm »

But rarely with men.

And they've often lacked the courage of their convictions. Babylon-5 in the 1990s (briefly) had a gay character. Caprica and Battlestar Galactica also did it. Trek did not want the controversy (look up what George Takei has written about his conversation with Gene Roddenberry about that).* But we're now at a point where it's no BFD. Society has moved on.

*You could actually write a book about how Trek has tackled some tough social issues and then run away from others. (The best example of the former is the Kirk-Uhura kiss.) It's always been a business, and they avoided certain issues because they didn't want TV stations refusing to air certain episodes.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography