Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646354 times)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks to all here for the great information on the various STS-133 forums.  We got to see a great launch.

Can anyone tell me if you can visit the gift shop at the visitors center without having to buy a ticket for a tour.  I would like to pick up a STS-130 patch.  Also if that does not work, do they have any of them at the Orlando airport NASA gift shop?

You don't have to pay for a tour ticket but you do have to pay for admission.  If all you need is a patch, I recommend buying from one of the following places -

www.thespacestore.com ($4.95 each + shipping)
www.thespaceshop.com ($5.99 each + shipping)
www.spaceflightnowstore.com ($5.99 each with FREE shipping)
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
It'd be okay if a mod wants to make this a separate thread :)

http://astrosurf.com/legault/STS-133.html

Incredible ground imagery of the stack. Who needs a Soyuz flyaround ;)

Offline FlightOne

• North Carolina
  • Liked: 0
A few shots from a sequence I shot with a remote camera near the pad using an interval timer

Offline Hodapp

This was my first in-person launch, I thank everyone for their prayers to get the old gal off the pad!  She certainly was stubborn to the end!  SRO & a nicked tile in the white room!!!  She loves drama!!! ;)

I can't really put into words the emotions! It was indescribable ! The SRB flame color is nothing like on TV...its blindingly brilliant...like plasma energy...pure white to varying shades of yellow orange tinged with laser red! The sound concussions...rolling thunder mixed with sonic booms and crystal clear crackling!

Everyone should experience a launch!

One special treat on the way to the NASA causeway, we got to see the Astronaut Van on its way out to the Pad!

What bus where you on?  I was on Bus 18 saw the Astro Van go by but I wasn't quick enough with the camera?

Hey, I was on bus 18 too! I caught it - the one with the bus alongside us is a little blown out, but I caught all of it. I have one on the approach towards the bus too. I'll post them once I process them, I'm leaving Florida tomorrow I think. I liked our driver and how she said that the entourage following the Astro Van was in case "any of them chicken out" ...ha!
Very interesting!  I didn't know this but ran across this official photo of NASA director in Helicopter to fly with Astro Van!  so have my own photo as well but didn't know at time...so double treat!  Both Astro Van and NASA director as well!
Launches: 133, 134, 135, EFT-1  Space X Falcon Heavy Test  Scrubs: 134
Future: EM-1 & EM-2

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
Hey, just thought some of you might find this interesting.

A buddy of mine came down with me for the launch attempt in November.  He was unable to make it back in Feb, but he'd dug out some old pictures his grandfather took while working at Vandenberg AFB in the 70's and 80's.  Unfortunately there were no dates on the original pictures, and my buddy was working off memory for almost 30 years ago.  And his grandfather past several years ago.
I did some checking and -think- I have it pegged as to a visit by Discovery.  She visited Vanedenberg for some testing of the mate-demate equipment at Vandenberg according to this link.  However, this says this pictures was taken Nov 1, 1984, but she was launched on Nov 8th, so I think the date the picture was taken is incorrect by the Air Force.
But, this was sometime in 1983 or 1984 I would imagine.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Space_Shuttle_Discovery_and_SCA_over_Vandenberg_AFB_SLC-6_-_DF-SC-85-09923.jpg

The name on the Shuttle looks like "Discovery", although you can't really read it.  Looks like there's  a "y" at the end.  It's for sure not Enterprise or Columbia, the markings for Columbia were unique, and Enterprise had her name behind the cabin on the payload bay doors.  Probably too old of a picture to be Endevour, and the name doesn't look right to be Atlantis.

Anyway, these pictures sort of convey just how old Discovery really is.  Truely from another era (gotta like the shirts and haircuts in the background.)  And really gives a better idea of her lifespan than pictures of her all by herself.  It's just sometimes it's hard to imagine these gals have been around for 30 years!  But here she was, sitting around in the era of feathered hair and shag carpets, American Bandstand and The Jeffersons.  Long before the first version of "Windows" was ever released, when no one knew who Bill Gates was, or the internet, or cell phones, or even TV's that didn't weigh 500 lbs.
You see an old photo like this and you don't expect to see something like the Space Shuttle in it.

Anyway, thought I'd share.  The gentleman in the photos is my buddy's grandfather, Andrew Tate who worked at Vandenberg.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Hey, just thought some of you might find this interesting.

A buddy of mine came down with me for the launch attempt in November.  He was unable to make it back in Feb, but he'd dug out some old pictures his grandfather took while working at Vandenberg AFB in the 70's and 80's.  Unfortunately there were no dates on the original pictures, and my buddy was working off memory for almost 30 years ago.  And his grandfather past several years ago.
I did some checking and -think- I have it pegged as to a visit by Discovery.  She visited Vanedenberg for some testing of the mate-demate equipment at Vandenberg according to this link.  However, this says this pictures was taken Nov 1, 1984, but she was launched on Nov 8th, so I think the date the picture was taken is incorrect by the Air Force.
But, this was sometime in 1983 or 1984 I would imagine.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Space_Shuttle_Discovery_and_SCA_over_Vandenberg_AFB_SLC-6_-_DF-SC-85-09923.jpg

The name on the Shuttle looks like "Discovery", although you can't really read it.  Looks like there's  a "y" at the end.  It's for sure not Enterprise or Columbia, the markings for Columbia were unique, and Enterprise had her name behind the cabin on the payload bay doors.  Probably too old of a picture to be Endevour, and the name doesn't look right to be Atlantis.

Anyway, these pictures sort of convey just how old Discovery really is.  Truely from another era (gotta like the shirts and haircuts in the background.)  And really gives a better idea of her lifespan than pictures of her all by herself.  It's just sometimes it's hard to imagine these gals have been around for 30 years!  But here she was, sitting around in the era of feathered hair and shag carpets, American Bandstand and The Jeffersons.  Long before the first version of "Windows" was ever released, when no one knew who Bill Gates was, or the internet, or cell phones, or even TV's that didn't weigh 500 lbs.
You see an old photo like this and you don't expect to see something like the Space Shuttle in it.

Anyway, thought I'd share.  The gentleman in the photos is my buddy's grandfather, Andrew Tate who worked at Vandenberg.

Probably November 1983. I found this post by Philip: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=18127.msg567246#msg567246, which states that Discovery was flown to Vandenberg while making a detour on her delivery flight, which means that it was taken between November 5 and November 9, 1983.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shuttleoperations/orbiters/discovery-info.html Hope this helps. :)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline mikelynaugh

• Mike Lynaugh Photography
  • Richmond, VA
    • Mike Lynaugh Photography
Beautiful sequence Jim!  I have been hoping you'd post that!

TTim, you can go to the Astronaut Hall of Fame.  I did that the day after launch.  You can go there and go to the gift shop (also operated by NASA) and do not have to pay admission to buy souvenirs.  Hope this helps!

Mike
Mike Lynaugh Photography
  www.mikelynaugh.com

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
Probably November 1983. I found this post by Philip: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=18127.msg567246#msg567246, which states that Discovery was flown to Vandenberg while making a detour on her delivery flight, which means that it was taken between November 5 and November 9, 1983.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shuttleoperations/orbiters/discovery-info.html Hope this helps. :)

Ahhh, yea that makes more sense.  Thanks.  I was having to go all CSI on it to try to figure out what shuttle it was, and when.  Since she was launched on Nov 8th, 1984, I doubt she could have been anywhere near Vandenberg.
So the USAF has their date wrong on their picture.  ;-)
From what I read, it sounded like the original plan was to have Discovery permanently tasked to Vandenberg for polar orbit missions.  They extended their runway to 3 miles there too so the Shuttle could land there without needing to be ferried from Edwards.  So it'd make sense they'd want to fit-check Discovery on their mate-damate system at Vandenberg, if that was the actual planned shuttle that'd be stationed there.

Man, how interestingly different things would have shaken out if not for the Challenger accident.  Discovery was to fly the first humans in a polar orbit about 6 months after Challenger, and all ELV's were to be retired and all USAF payloads would be launched on Shuttles.  Using Discovery at Vandenberg for polar orbital payloadd.  INtersting to think about.

Offline mainengine

• Regular
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
Thanks to all here for the great information on the various STS-133 forums.  We got to see a great launch.

Can anyone tell me if you can visit the gift shop at the visitors center without having to buy a ticket for a tour.  I would like to pick up a STS-130 patch.  Also if that does not work, do they have any of them at the Orlando airport NASA gift shop?

You don't have to pay for a tour ticket but you do have to pay for admission.  If all you need is a patch, I recommend buying from one of the following places -

www.thespacestore.com ($4.95 each + shipping)
www.thespaceshop.com ($5.99 each + shipping)
www.spaceflightnowstore.com ($5.99 each with FREE shipping)

or make a stop at Astronaut Hall of Fame where you can shop without an admission ticket. (as far as patches are available there)

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina

That 3-D effect is amazing. Took me a few tries to get the squinting cross-eyed perfected but finally saw the effect Nice find, thanks for posting.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
First time I think we've seen an astronaut from the ground? Another pic from Ralf Vandebergh...
« Last Edit: 06/27/2011 08:01 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25242
  • Likes Given: 12115

That 3-D effect is amazing. Took me a few tries to get the squinting cross-eyed perfected but finally saw the effect Nice find, thanks for posting.
Yes, this is indeed very good! The animated 3d effect has a very substantial feel to it, much more than any other ground picture of ISS I've seen.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
First time I think we've seen an astronaut from the ground? Another pic from Ralf Vandebergh...

No, he got someone previously on STS-119

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Finally got to see STS-133 / ISS pass overhead! Wow, was it ever bright (even with the partial light cloud cover).

Have opportunities on Sat & Sun that I hope to photograph.

Offline pumaknight

I cannot believe that I got to see the shuttle launch....it was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen....Thank you to NASA for giving the thumbs up in the last ferw seconds and thank you to all those on the causeway that made the hours of waiting so much more fun.

I still cannot get over how fast she goes once she has left the pad!! What a ride that must be :-)

I managed to take some photos and despite the oppressive heat haze between the causeway and the pad, they came out reasonably okay. Thought I would share a couple with you. Hope you like.

A few more are on my blog (p.s. mods, hope it is okay to link, site is non-commercial just a very keen amateur wanting to share his story of photography!!)

www.pumaknight.co.uk/blog

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
Mike,

Your photos are superb! Would you be willing to share a larger version of the first image (actually 4 of 14 on your blog page) in which Discovery is seen rising above the steam and smoke? I would love to set that as my new desk-top image.

Thanks,

Paul

I cannot believe that I got to see the shuttle launch....it was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen....Thank you to NASA for giving the thumbs up in the last ferw seconds and thank you to all those on the causeway that made the hours of waiting so much more fun.

I still cannot get over how fast she goes once she has left the pad!! What a ride that must be :-)

I managed to take some photos and despite the oppressive heat haze between the causeway and the pad, they came out reasonably okay. Thought I would share a couple with you. Hope you like.

A few more are on my blog (p.s. mods, hope it is okay to link, site is non-commercial just a very keen amateur wanting to share his story of photography!!)

www.pumaknight.co.uk/blog
It's all in the data.

Offline pumaknight

Mike,

Your photos are superb! Would you be willing to share a larger version of the first image (actually 4 of 14 on your blog page) in which Discovery is seen rising above the steam and smoke? I would love to set that as my new desk-top image.

Thanks,

Paul

PM sent.

Offline K466

• Central Florida
    • I post my NASA pictures here- plus other stuff
Is this the place we discuss viewing the landing at KSC? They've got the ground tracks out and I'm trying to figure out where I should set up to watch it (since I don't have access to the runway!!!)

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts133/news/landing.html
""There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil, to one who is striking at the root."" ~Henry David Thoreau

Offline kermit

• Reston, Virginia USA
  • Likes Given: 10
Is this the place we discuss viewing the landing at KSC? They've got the ground tracks out and I'm trying to figure out where I should set up to watch it (since I don't have access to the runway!!!)

Not sure but the wind is forcast brisk from the southeast favoring landing on RW 15. The east end of the new Max Brewer bridge is about 4.5 miles west of the approach end of RW 15. The road will probably be closed about .5 mile east of there.

Route 3 will probably be closed at the haulover canal which is 8 miles from the runway. Discovery will be above 10,000 at that point with the flight path less than 1mile from RT 3.

If they decide to land on RW 33 the best public viewing spot is the parking lot of the KCS Visitors Center, which is 2.3 miles west of the final approach to RW 33.

None of these sites will have a view the touchdown. I don't know what the view is like from the top of the new Max Brewer is like, or if they will allow viewers to watch from there. The twin sonic booms should be heard for any of them about 6 minutes from touchdown.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts133/news/landing.html

This is what I found on the FAQ portion of the Merritt Island Wildlife Refugee website.

"The refuge remains open for Shuttle Landings but visitors may experience temporary road closures."

I am planning to view from around the intersection SR 3 and SR 402.

Here is the view from that location.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography