Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375366 times)

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #120 on: 09/09/2013 11:12 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me via email, Chris.  :) I can't live without my NSF fix!

I really like the new layout. I remember my main complaints about the site when I first joined was how hard it was to read the posts in the old layout. It looked very cluttered. But this new layout fixed the problem!

Thanks NSF staff!

EDIT: And I know see that all we have to do is put the Youtube URL for it to embedded. Cool!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 11:12 pm by Overflow »

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #121 on: 09/09/2013 11:21 pm »
Old esthetics were better.  This one looks like an iphone version.  Big playskool buttons.  Garish MS Paint color distribution.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 11:25 pm by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #122 on: 09/09/2013 11:47 pm »
The "active topics" view is gone:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=activetopics

Which I find quite convenient...
Me, too -- I used both "modes".  Is that on the to-do list?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 11:47 pm by psloss »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #123 on: 09/10/2013 12:47 am »
Did you tried that link "recently" ?  ;)

Needs more work but basic functionality should be back in there

« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 12:48 am by NSF Webmaster »

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #124 on: 09/10/2013 01:08 am »

Besides in this thread, where is that link found?

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #125 on: 09/10/2013 01:14 am »
Seems to be something broken in the following thread:

NASASpaceFlight.com Forum » General Discussion » Advanced Concepts » Orbitec's Vortex Rocket Engine
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30679.0

From this post onwards all posted & quoted text & sigs are in bold
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30679.msg994665#msg994665

Don't know if it is related to the update though.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: 09/10/2013 01:24 am »
"Show a popup when I receive new messages." in the messaging preferences didn't work (Firefox on Windows 7) despite being checked.  It worked fine in the previous forum.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: 09/10/2013 01:37 am »
"Show a popup when I receive new messages." in the messaging preferences didn't work (Firefox on Windows 7) despite being checked.  It worked fine in the previous forum.

Okay, unchecked and rechecked, and now it works.

?????

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #128 on: 09/10/2013 01:46 am »
I also find the new button slightly too small. Otherwise a great success.

Seconded (on both counts).

Thirded... On a touch device, it is difficult to hit such a small target.

In general web designers need to be more aware that as the number of touch PC/laptops grow, as well as full size tablets - the "full desktop" version of the site needs to be designed with touchable links in mind. I would live for each piece of text that is part of a link to have its font size increased.

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #129 on: 09/10/2013 02:16 am »
Better solution is one used by e.g. Android: click on too link-dense an area and said area is magnified to better click.  Hopefully this solution won't be exclusive to Android.
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #130 on: 09/10/2013 02:27 am »
What happened to the acronyms list? I found that, and having known acronyms underlined in the threads, really useful features (especially when I was a bit newer to the forums). Will it stay away forever, or is it planned to return?

That was a really buggy part of the old forum, resulting it in being just a list in the end. Not sure if that's workable to have back on this new forum, to be honest.
The acronyms list page is gone.
Can we have that page back? ( not the linking from a post or high lighting )
That is just the list from A to Z.
We had to be logged in to see it before.
I think it would be nice for all readers to be able to link to from the menu bar on the top of the page.

2nd-
The Squares were the stars used to be-
Is there a possibility they could be replaced by a character image?
Like the squares ( stars ) as the post number increases towards 500 the character could have some changes made to it.
A type of character for general posters, for moderators, and another for administrators.
If so the color difference should be kept.

The stars were just to preschool and the squares just to bland.
Possible change in the near future?
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 03:38 am by RocketmanUS »

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #131 on: 09/10/2013 04:01 am »
I found a new issue with the forums - on an iPad or iPhone, clicking the browser 'back' button always requires TWO clicks. (Other webkit browser too perhaps?) I only see this behavior on this site, so presumably some JavaScript shenanigans is causing it to happen.

Additional info: the extra back click is only required if you let the page finish loading. If you press 'back' before the page has loaded, one click is sufficient. Definitely JavaScript related.
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 04:28 am by Lars_J »

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #132 on: 09/10/2013 04:25 am »
The font is too small.

Barely readable at 150% zoom and when you zoom in enough to be able to read things better you have to horizontal scroll which just isn't gonna work.

Needs to be fixed in my opinion.

I'm on a 24" HD screen and have 20/20 vision so others might be having more difficulty than I am.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #133 on: 09/10/2013 04:32 am »
Are there any other people who have problems with replying to posts and attaching more than one image in each post? It seems that when doing this the reply was not posted and I was lead to the starting-a-new-thread page.  ???
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #134 on: 09/10/2013 04:47 am »
In each thread after the first post below it is the ad cell. It has the same color background as the first post. Hard to tell them apart. Each post after that the background colors change from post to post separating them. And on some of the post that are after the ad cell have the same background color too.

Might be best to have the ad cell with a different background from the post all together.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #135 on: 09/10/2013 04:58 am »
How about word wrapping?

Being able to change the size of the window without losing the text would be nice.

I guess many forums these days come with a fixed frame.

Offline MP99

« Reply #136 on: 09/10/2013 06:55 am »
Better solution is one used by e.g. Android: click on too link-dense an area and said area is magnified to better click.  Hopefully this solution won't be exclusive to Android.

I use the default Android "Browser" on CM10.1, and unfortunately it doesn't do this (though agree it's fantastic on browsers that do implement it).

It's a big deficiency of any mobile browser that doesn't implement this, but mobile themes need to consider this until they do.

On the subject of mobile themes, I'll repeat a comment I've made before - that the basics of the forum would work pretty well as-is by just shifting some screen elements around. Make the text the only element horizontally (no ads to side - put them above / below if must have) and don't fix width of header so browsers can easily rescale text depending on screen size.

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #137 on: 09/10/2013 07:15 am »
Could I please add another couple of requests onto the long term "to do" pile?

I don't come into the forum main page, I watch for notification of new threads via the e-mail announcements.

That works fine most of the time, but every so often it turns out that I'm no longer subscribed to one or more of the Forums. For instance, I only found out about the "A List" forum after the beta changes went live (!!), and I know I've missed a lot of L2 content this way over the years.

Could we have a new setting somewhere in the profile "always subscribe me to all forums" - IE every forum would always have "notify" on without me having to subscribe to them individually.

(Or, alternatively, it would work if we were notified every time there's a new forum OR ONE IS MOVED OR RENAMED OR UN0HIDDEN, and then I can find it and subscribe.)

Also, when a thread is split, if I'm subscribed to the parent I should also be subscribed to the new child thread. (Mods will delete or hide these anyway if they don't want us to have access.)

I know mods are generally pretty good at putting a thread-split notice in the parent, but this would just be automatic.

cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #138 on: 09/10/2013 07:42 am »
On the subject of mobile themes, I'll repeat a comment I've made before - that the basics of the forum would work pretty well as-is by just shifting some screen elements around. Make the text the only element horizontally (no ads to side - put them above / below if must have) and don't fix width of header so browsers can easily rescale text depending on screen size.

One aspect I've just noted - AND AM ABSOLUTELY LOVING, is the profile option "Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible", and the little icon in the left frame (if it is shown) to hide that left frame, IE:-

Profile info .

And the matching when the left frame is hidden.

cheers, Martin

Online ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #139 on: 09/10/2013 10:35 am »

Needs more work but basic functionality should be back in there

Thank you, sir!  Very nice... ;D

Besides in this thread, where is that link found?

In a very old version of this forum (2 or 3 gens back?) there once was a named link called "Active topics" along the top in with Home, Help, Unread topics, etc.  This disappeared with a previous forum upgrade.  Perhaps if we ask nicely, we could get it back....  ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography