Author Topic: Falcon Boosters on Display  (Read 14532 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80275
  • Likes Given: 36322
Re: Falcon Boosters on Display
« Reply #40 on: 10/29/2023 09:03 pm »
https://twitter.com/jswartzphoto/status/1718734009222529257

The newest SpaceX F9 booster to go on public display arrived at its new home next to Dish Networkís corporate offices in Littleton, Colorado.   Still not sure which booster this is.  B1042, B1029 or B1021 are all possibilities so hope to find out shortly!   @NASASpaceflight

Offline Rockefela

• Denver, CO
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 10/29/2023 09:16 pm »

For Block 3/4 boosters like this one there should be large numbers at the tail end of the booster, such as in these pictures of B1021 (one unlikely candidate for this one since AFAIK it's been reserved for the CCSFS museum).

My view was limited to the side of the booster visible from the bike trail.  I looked through all my photos of the rear engine section & could not see any numbers.   The view of the tank section was limited by snow & ground equipment.  The thrust puck was pretty open, and I think the numbering is on the tankage, not the thrust puck/octaweb?

Gonna have to to look at the other side, & underneath to find it.  That perspective is not available until they open up the area to the public.

I went through and compared the soot patterns of all the block 1.2 (FT) falcons on their last flight, i'm pretty sure this is B1022, which launched JCSAT-14

(original image of the booster that I used can be found at; https://www.universetoday.com/tag/jcsat-14/)

Someone reached out to me and confirmed it is booster B1022. Great sleuthing!!
« Last Edit: 10/29/2023 11:27 pm by Rockefela »

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5854
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #42 on: 10/30/2023 02:39 am »
B1021 according to Jon Edwards.

https://twitter.com/edwards345/status/1718813738504183859

B1022 was scrapped several years ago, those with L2 I'd recommend checking L2's McGregor thread for aerial shots of the "booster cemetery".

B1021 had been stored outside of SLC-40 after being inside one of the Cape hangars for years. Most recently seen inside 39A's HIF during Falcon Heavy intergration for Psyche. Now on display

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1707822303294140888

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #43 on: 10/30/2023 05:14 am »
twitter.com/jswartzphoto/status/1718813919131615264

Few more higher res of the all business end

https://twitter.com/sixstringsimple/status/1718851078945423457

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #44 on: 10/30/2023 07:28 am »
twitter.com/jswartzphoto/status/1718813919131615264

Few more higher res of the all business end

https://twitter.com/sixstringsimple/status/1718851078945423457

As it turns out, the number ď21Ē is actually faintly visible on the booster in the tweeted pictures above AND in Stan-1967ís pictures, itís just that itís so faded that youíll have to know where to find them!

(3rd picture from SES-10 launch)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Timmers89

« Reply #45 on: 10/30/2023 12:50 pm »
Falcon 9 B1021 was the first booster to be re-flown and the first to land on a droneship. It was first launched on 8 April 2016 carrying a Dragon spacecraft and Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) on the SpaceX CRS-8 mission and landed on an autonomous spaceport drone ship (ASDS). After recovery, inspections and refurbishing, it was launched again on 30 March 2017 for the SES-10 mission and recovered successfully a second time. This event marks a milestone in SpaceX's drive to develop reusable rockets and reduce launch costs.[27][236][237][238][239] Following the second flight, SpaceX stated that they plan to retire this booster and donate it to Cape Canaveral for public display.[240][241] It was later put on public display outside Dish Network's headquarters in Littleton, Colorado in October 2023.[242]
« Last Edit: 10/30/2023 12:51 pm by Timmers89 »

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
« Reply #46 on: 10/30/2023 03:00 pm »
^^^That's the Wiki account for this booster.

Give credit to your sources.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1163
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #47 on: 10/30/2023 11:54 pm »
So I stopped by the rocket display after work and was surprised it was not yet mounted on the display pillars. 

Workers were busy caulking & weatherproofing the booster.  They can also rotate it while the weatherproofing is done.  Grid fins have been installed on the interstage, & they look very melty,  so probably early generation aluminum .  The legs are still not attached. 

Am I correct that the shiny-smooth Merlin nozzles are the 1-C model (electroformed) not explosively formed like the.current 1-Dís?

Shout out to user ďRockefelaĒ who I met at the display this evening.  Not a lot of people at the display on purpose tonight.  Just two rocket enthusiasts and a few bikers passing by.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2023 11:57 pm by Stan-1967 »

Offline Rockefela

• Denver, CO
« Reply #48 on: 10/31/2023 12:39 am »
@Stan-1967, it was great meeting and chatting with you this evening!

Itís going to be fun in the near future to stand around the booster and bumping into fellow space enthusiasts.

Hmmmm the person who reached out to me with distinct knowledge of the booster said it was B1022 and had the credentials to back it up. Sadly due to the sensitivity around SpaceX and private info they donít want to be identified. They mentioned the booster had been hanging in a warehouse near SLC-40 since its last launch for the last 6-7yrs.

Here are some photos from tonight a bit after Stanís as workers continued to prep the booster for display.

Offline Rockefela

• Denver, CO
« Reply #49 on: 10/31/2023 12:41 am »
Few more pics

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #50 on: 10/31/2023 12:48 am »

Itís going to be fun in the near future to stand around the booster and bumping into fellow space enthusiasts.

Hmmmm the person who reached out to me with distinct knowledge of the booster said it was B1022 and had the credentials to back it up. Sadly due to the sensitivity around SpaceX and private info they donít want to be identified. They mentioned the booster had been hanging in a warehouse near SLC-40 since its last launch for the last 6-7yrs.

Here are some photos from tonight a bit after Stanís as workers continued to prep the booster for display.

Then it's definitely 1021 and not 22 - the later went to McGregor Texas for proof-of-reuse test firings campaigns in 2016 shortly after doing the same at the Cape following its only launch. 21 was stored in various places around the Cape over the years (was in Hangar E during CCS(A)FS open day March 2020, then seen next to a warehouse on the NE corner of SLC-40 for several months in 2022). Plus the faded numbers seen in pictures above seals it.

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1236360285759381508
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5854
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #51 on: 10/31/2023 01:09 am »
Yeah B1022 left straight to McGregor. Whoever told you that they keep confusing 21 with 22.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8072
  • Likes Given: 7404
« Reply #52 on: 10/31/2023 01:09 am »
The stage seems to be hidden in a park with many trees. Unfortunately, they decided to set it on its side, as it is much more impressive when it is standing upright as they have it in Hawthorn. When the stage is standing up, you can see it for miles around and better appreciate its size. Oh, well.  But there is something to gain by seeing it on its side, like details that you can't see while tilting your head upwards.
« Last Edit: 10/31/2023 01:11 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rockefela

• Denver, CO
« Reply #53 on: 10/31/2023 01:25 am »

Then it's definitely 1021 and not 22 - the later went to McGregor Texas for proof-of-reuse test firings campaigns in 2016 shortly after doing the same at the Cape following its only launch. 21 was stored in various places around the Cape over the years (was in Hangar E during CCS(A)FS open day March 2020, then seen next to a warehouse on the NE corner of SLC-40 for several months in 2022). Plus the faded numbers seen in pictures above seals it.

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1236360285759381508

Good to know, re-watching B1021's launches now.....

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #54 on: 10/31/2023 03:02 am »
The stage seems to be hidden in a park with many trees. Unfortunately, they decided to set it on its side, as it is much more impressive when it is standing upright as they have it in Hawthorn. When the stage is standing up, you can see it for miles around and better appreciate its size. Oh, well.  But there is something to gain by seeing it on its side, like details that you can't see while tilting your head upwards.

The booster will be only partially obscured by trees from the bike trail side of site, especially if you are on the west side of the Platte river.  All my pictures are taken from the east side, looking over the fence into the DishNet property.    But trust me, there is no way anyone will miss this when riding/jogging/blading/walking by.  It is enormous!  It can also be easily be seen from SanteFe Drive when driving northbound or southbound. 

I don't know for sure how DishNet will arrange the area underneath & around the booster, but prior to the area being shut off for site preparation, it was all very accessible to the public.  The Dry Creek bike path looks to be going directly under the booster, so getting a good view is not going to be a problem.

I haven't seen the Hawthorne booster in person, but I would wager a beer or six that this booster is going to be way easier to get too for anyone in the Denver metro area vs. trying to get to Hawthorne on the 405 when visiting LA.  (Someone beer bet me....please! )  Yes a vertical booster would be awesome, but I do think in this area it could be risky.  There are no big buildings around to break the wind, this booster is sitting pretty exposed  with the exception of the trees towards the river.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #55 on: 10/31/2023 03:38 am »
I was wanting to post my pictures of the ULA models of Atlas V & Vulcan that are in their Centennial Lobby as a taunt for them to step up their local community leadership game.  But then that would be OT in the Falcon thread, and it would be wrong to hijack a SpaceX thread with ULA content. ( lols!!)

I don't think ULA has any spare Atlas cores, nor Vulcan cores.  Maybe Tory has a spare BE-4 he's not using & could be put out for public display?  We could start a new thread for that... :o

Online catdlr

« Reply #56 on: 10/31/2023 03:45 am »

The booster will be only partially obscured by trees from the bike trail side of site, especially if you are on the west side of the Platte river.  All my pictures are taken from the east side, looking over the fence into the DishNet property.    But trust me, there is no way anyone will miss this when riding/jogging/blading/walking by.  It is enormous!  It can also be easily be seen from SanteFe Drive when driving northbound or southbound. 

I don't know for sure how DishNet will arrange the area underneath & around the booster, but prior to the area being shut off for site preparation, it was all very accessible to the public.  The Dry Creek bike path looks to be going directly under the booster, so getting a good view is not going to be a problem.

I haven't seen the Hawthorne booster in person, but I would wager a beer or six that this booster is going to be way easier to get too for anyone in the Denver metro area vs. trying to get to Hawthorne on the 405 when visiting LA.  (Someone beer bet me....please! )  Yes a vertical booster would be awesome, but I do think in this area it could be risky.  There are no big buildings around to break the wind, this booster is sitting pretty exposed  with the exception of the trees towards the river.

The one at Hathworn is exposed but we don't have the high winds you guys have.  You won on availability, public parking is non-existent.  The best is the Lowe's parking about 1/4 north.  When I take out-of-town visitors I usually drop them off at the corner and wait down the street until I get a sign to pick them up.  It's mostly employee/contractor parking including the large structure across the street.  Enjoy.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #57 on: 10/31/2023 06:05 am »
Some video:

https://twitter.com/jswartzphoto/status/1719152673352458474

Grid fins and landing legs are going on B1021!  Nozzle muffs coming off too!

Online catdlr

« Reply #58 on: 10/31/2023 06:25 am »

The one at Hathworn is exposed but we don't have the high winds you guys have.  You won on availability, public parking is non-existent.  The best is the Lowe's parking about 1/4 north.  When I take out-of-town visitors I usually drop them off at the corner and wait down the street until I get a sign to pick them up.  It's mostly employee/contractor parking including the large structure across the street.  Enjoy.

Hopefully the Demver F9 won't end up like this when the Shuttle Endeavor was left out overnight.   ;)

Offline jjyach

• Liked: 1560
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #59 on: 11/01/2023 07:23 pm »
She has her legs and is in the stands

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston