Author Topic: Falcon Boosters on Display  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4551
  • Likes Given: 5056
Falcon Boosters on Display
« on: 10/05/2023 08:15 pm »
The installation of a Falcon 9 booster across a bike path in Littleton, Colorado prompts this thread for that and other public displays of Falcon 9 boosters.
There is the first one in Hawthorne.
There is another on display at Space Center Houston.
One is at the KSC Visitor Center inside the new Gateway building. (Thanks, ChrisC!)

The booster will be near the South Platte River in western metropolitan Denver, Colorado.
This is an announcement of the Little Creek Trail closure while they install the booster.
A closure is in place for Littles Creek Trail to install a 146-foot SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket booster.  The rocket will be displayed horizontally on two pylons ten feet off the ground, straddling the Littles Creek Trail near its junction with the Mary Carter Greenway.
(Actually, it's three pylons.  Thanks, Stan!)

It says the closure is "through October" so it could be installed soon.

For now, maybe until after the unveiling in a few weeks, can we keep this thread to posts about this booster?
(In particular, can we determing which booster this is before the signs are unveiled?)
After, people could post photos from visits to any of the booster displays.

We should also have a meet-up once the booster display is open. 
Maybe Jon, Kliph, Stan-1967, and I, and any other NSF locals, can find a time to get together there.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2023 10:35 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Comga

Re: Falcon Boosters on Display
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2023 08:39 pm »
Some maps of the display
edit:  The illustrated location of the booster is a guess. 
Anyone who has been there and seen the pylons knows it with more accuracy.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2023 08:41 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline AS-503

• Orion Fab Team
  • Colorado USA
  • Liked: 315
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2023 08:45 pm »
Wow, I live within bike riding distance from here.
I am also an engineer in the Space division of a company that rhymes with Mockheed Lartin.
Would participate in a meetup for sure.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1163
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2023 08:53 pm »
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59357.msg2529264#msg2529264

re-posting here from the initial L2 post.
====================================

I stopped by the spot where the SpaceX booster is planned to be put on display in Littleton CO.  I took a bunch of photos that will be posted,  and noted how easy this will be to access once it is in place.  The site can be accessed via the bike trail, the light rail stop, or by parking anywhere in the west end of downtown Littleton and just taking a quick walk.

I started off by grabbing some coffee at DIRT coffee, as you will see in the photo, their lattes & pastries are larger than humans, so this is a good way to start the day.  Then you simply walk down to the DISH parking lot via the bike trail that is 20-30 meters south from the font door of DIRT.  That ended up as a dead end in the parking lot of DISH, and the construction zone kept me around 100m away from the  support structures, so I went home and grabbed my bike and had better access on the trail side.  A couple of notes & questions.

1.***  I think this will be the the only F9 booster on public display other than the one in Hawthorne.  I don't know the Rocket Garden in FL will get their booster.  I was there a year ago and think they were prepping for it.  Is that one complete or close to complete?

2.  The booster will be laid out pointed to the Northwest ( heading of 320 degrees)

3.  The 3 pylons have some gap at the base that makes me speculate that the booster will be positioned with the downcomer at the underside

*** my inaccurate info on other F9 static displays at KSC & Houston have been corrected & posted after I wrote this.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2023 09:13 pm »
This is the one in Houston.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2023 09:26 pm »
looks like the notch at the base of the ring support furthest away in your frame is for the landing leg, not the downcomer as I had speculated for the Littleton equivalents.

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3921
  • Likes Given: 1634
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2023 09:53 pm »
I live up on the north end of Denver, but I definitely plan on taking my boys down to see this once it's installed. I've been to the Hawthorne facility probably a half dozen times since they put a booster on display there, but I don't know if any of my boys have seen one up close.

~Jon

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2023 10:08 pm »
Does anybody have any info on the group/organization behind to CO installation? Is there a CO SpaceX connection I am not aware of? I of course know the other aerospace companies in the area.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: 10/06/2023 12:19 am »
Does anybody have any info on the group/organization behind to CO installation? Is there a CO SpaceX connection I am not aware of? I of course know the other aerospace companies in the area.

It was supported by the Telluray Foundation.

https://www.idealist.org/en/amp/nonprofit/2c9c13e993cc4528983161f90ab88b7e-telluray-foundation-littleton

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1877
« Reply #9 on: 10/07/2023 08:25 pm »
DISH originally proposed the idea and it will be on DISH property.

According to an article in the "Littleton Independent":

"The Telluray Foundation is providing a $2.4-million grant to complete the project, but DISH will be responsible for upkeep and maintenance costs after the initial assembly is complete."

https://coloradocommunitymedia.com/2023/07/19/littleton-to-host-spacex-rocket-booster-exhibit/

I live about 10 miles away and hadn't heard of this until seeing Stan-1967's posts. Thanks Stan!

Can't wait to see it.

Offline Rockefela

• Denver, CO
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: 10/10/2023 03:58 pm »
Does anyone know where we can find out when the booster will start final installation so some of us locals can go an watch?

Offline Comga

« Reply #11 on: 10/22/2023 05:05 am »
Here is another article on the Falcon 9 first stage display in Littleton.
It comes with more pictures of the booster display in Houston.
It said, when it was written in July, that the booster was supposed to be delivered in September, but that does not seem to have happened.

Are any of us are keeping an eye on the location?

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
  • Liked: 60391
  • Likes Given: 1295
« Reply #12 on: 10/22/2023 05:31 am »
 Is F1-6 in Hawthorne?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8073
  • Likes Given: 7404
« Reply #13 on: 10/22/2023 05:56 am »
Is F1-6 in Hawthorne?

I've never seen it (at least outside).
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1792
  • Likes Given: 1291
« Reply #14 on: 10/22/2023 08:08 am »
Is F1-6 in Hawthorne?

I've never seen it (at least outside).
Think they will take F1-6 out of storage and trucked it to whatever event that needs a reminder how far SpaceX has progress. It is a good mobile display.

Offline Comga

« Reply #15 on: 10/24/2023 12:24 am »
Reddit has another image of the pedastal construction posted October 10. 
It looks nowhere near complete.
Quite a mess in fact.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: 10/24/2023 12:32 am »
Reddit has another image of the pedastal construction posted October 10. 
It looks nowhere near complete.
Quite a mess in fact.

I saw that excavation as well.  It looked like they were building containment pathways for capturing runoff from the parking lot, or the boosters when they are mounted. 

I have a neighbor who is a Dishnet executive,  i was hoping to ask him if Dish will share the plans for when the booster will arrive

Offline Timmers89

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: 10/25/2023 05:37 pm »
In order to facilitate effective, long term placement of the booster system, the following procedures will be followed (per manufacturer recommendation):

Cleaning:

Pressure washing Booster is acceptable.  We are able to use either Simple Green or Power Foam as soaps. We must alway make sure to rinse the soaps off when we are finished cleaning.

Sealing the Booster:

All openings will be sealed with RTV or a sealer called 7076 so that it is not accessible to the public.

Paint:

SpaceX recommendations for paint are PSX700 (this is the same paint used on the wind generators)
We can also use any high end household paint if the first is deemed too expensive.

Expose Cork maintenance:

On the back end of the Booster it is possible for the cork to begin to come loose. In this case we will need to use Bondo to fill the hole and then seal it with paint if we so choose or leave it bare Bondo.

Anti Graffiti:

It is SpaceX's opinion that this is unnecessary.  If we choose to move forward with this they recommend using UV resistant Kills in either an eggshell or flat shean.  They did note that this too will yellow over time and change the appearance of the Booster.

Corrosion:

There is no concern of any future corrosion happening on the Booster as it will be sitting on plastic runners that are sloped toward the bottom to allow moisture to run off. Along with the fact we are not using nylon tie downs in this application that caused the growth in Florida.
They also noted in the slight chance we see any visible corrosion to contact them and they will support with a mitigation plan.

Tail End of Booster:

SpaceX recommends any work done on the tail section of the Booster be done in a Tyvek suit, gloves, and a respirator.
Inspect that the sealant is still intact around the covers that block the hardware attaching the landing legs to the Booster.
If repairs are needed use RVT to reseal.

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 568
  • Likes Given: 1866
« Reply #18 on: 10/26/2023 10:11 pm »
SpaceX recommendations for paint are PSX700 (this is the same paint used on the wind generators)
We can also use any high end household paint if the first is deemed too expensive.

PSX700 paint is ~$260 per gallon! That's not very expensive by aerospace standards but I can see why someone might prefer a cheaper paint for a display booster.

Offline jjyach

• Liked: 1560
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #19 on: 10/28/2023 04:40 pm »
At least 2 legs have arrived

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston