Author Topic: SpaceX stops using YouTube; new content X only; effect on NSF content?  (Read 45592 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8431
  • Likes Given: 1334
Re: SpaceX stops using YouTube, now X only
« Reply #40 on: 09/04/2023 12:54 pm »
All this hand wringing over 4k vs 1080p is… something.  ...
Especially when the launches are hidden by the oversized graphics, as they have been now for years. 

As for X, sorry but I can't. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3806
  • Likes Given: 5098
« Reply #41 on: 09/04/2023 12:58 pm »
All this hand wringing over 4k vs 1080p is… something.  ...
As for X, sorry but I can't. 

- Ed Kyle
No apology necessary.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #42 on: 09/04/2023 01:03 pm »
I have been able to download the archive videos using yt-dlp. Unfortunately for some reason some of the stream's best kept quality is 720p 60FPS instead of 1080p for some reason (e.g. Starlink 6-12; Crew-6 crew egress is too but that's the same for the ones hoisted on NASA TV). On the other hand Crew-6 splashdown and the SDA Tranche 0 launch can be found in 1080p on TwitterX.

Due to file sizes I personally keep these at 1080p if available. Shame that 2K and 4K versions aren't available since they definitely were there on Youtube.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 01:04 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #43 on: 09/04/2023 01:11 pm »
They are really pushing 5K phones now.  However, the industry hasn't caught up with the general population.  Many people are still using 720 TV's.  Some using 1080.  Broadcasts for TV is still only 1080 in most places.  Video games and some movies are in higher quality now, but you still have to have TV's to match to get the high quality and they have to be backwards compatable.  X will get better with time. 

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25169
  • Likes Given: 12100
« Reply #44 on: 09/04/2023 01:37 pm »
Yeah, people's understandable frustration with Musk and Twitter notwithstanding, Twitter still objectively sucks for video. I think they'll probably fix it eventually. Even something like Vimeo or any of the many streaming sites is better, so I think they'll figure it out.

I wish Musk would stop wasting time on "X." I don't even doubt that he can make it a valuable company, but it just seems like a waste of his resources (including time) as well as those around him.

As fellow weird tech billion Peter Thiel once said, "We wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters."

Then again, serving videos is something that might make sense to integrate into Starlink. Video is a significant portion of Comcast's revenue, for instance.

…and streaming video is the majority of bandwidth usage of Starlink.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 02:16 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #45 on: 09/04/2023 03:17 pm »
Musk want's X to be the end all be all app.  He wants to incorporate financial into it, like bill paying and money transfers.  Trying to make it like Pay Pal.  Maybe he is trying to do too much all at the same time. 

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 826
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #46 on: 09/04/2023 03:28 pm »
Would it work if someone with a Twitter account posts the link to the live stream? Videos can be accessed without an account when the direct URL is used, e.g.

Video clips yes, livestreams no. This seems very very intentional.

I may consider signing into X around the time they have 4K, pauseable livestreams, actual watchable video window sizes (not "tiny postage stamp or full screen" that it is now) and actual way to search old events.

Elon is doing it wrong. You can give first impressions on new shiny feature that is trying to compete with existing providers exactly once. Making that first impression to be "video servers on fire, glorious 360p, no features, must login" means no-one will ever come watch another video on your platform for a very very long time. They tried, it is crap.

If intention is to push developers, multicast on YT and X. Watch which one people use. As long as X is losing, developers have work to do.

« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 03:31 pm by Jarnis »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #47 on: 09/04/2023 03:43 pm »
They are really pushing 5K phones now.  However, the industry hasn't caught up with the general population.  Many people are still using 720 TV's.  Some using 1080.  Broadcasts for TV is still only 1080 in most places.  Video games and some movies are in higher quality now, but you still have to have TV's to match to get the high quality and they have to be backwards compatable.  X will get better with time. 

Or it will be the next MySpace, which customers dropped in great numbers once something better came along.

Offline novo2044

• USA
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #48 on: 09/04/2023 06:56 pm »
As far as reach goes just to pick a recent example, the SDA mission has 9k likes and 163k views on YouTube.  The clip of just the launch has 30k likes and 3.8M views on X.  Obviously they aren’t directly comparable but that is an absolutely massive advantage for X.  That doesn’t even count another 36k likes and another 4.3M views for the landing.  If you are going to argue YT has better reach I think you are going to need to back it up somehow.

Views on X of the SDA launch stream are now comparable to YouTube.  (Although I don’t know how long you have to watch on either platform to count as a view.)

The tweet containing the stream obviously has a much higher view count.
Maybe I wasn’t being clear enough.  The actual livestream did similar numbers.  The short form clips of take off and landing did vastly better numbers.  This is an absolutely no surprise to anyone in the content creation sphere: an engaging 30 second clip gets many times more views/watch time than the source stream since people can’t be bothered to scroll through hours of content when someone can spoon feed them the interesting parts.  Classically the frustrating part was that other people would clip popular streams and get more views (and money) than the actual source. 

I doubt Spacex cares about ad rev or sponsorships.  But their own clips are being engaged and viewed far more than their actual streams on either platform.  In the short form arena X probably has an advantage over YouTube given the oddities of the algorithm.

Also I find the complaints about child abuse and hate speech etc unconvincing.  By what metric have they have increased or for that matter decreased?  Claims Twitter is about to die sound familiar to anyone who’s been on this forum for any length of time. Probably with more justification in the case of early Falcon mishaps.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 4879
  • Likes Given: 5224
« Reply #49 on: 09/04/2023 08:47 pm »
A petition on Change.org (not by me) for SpaceX to bring back YouTube livestreams. I doubt it will do any good, but it can't hurt.

https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-spacex-live-streaming-on-youtube-for-all-space-enthusiasts

Offline Metalskin

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 1573
« Reply #50 on: 09/04/2023 10:11 pm »
The biggest problem for me is that I subscribed to the SpaceX Youtube channel and could easily see when a launch was up and coming. With Twitter it feels like I have to search and scan for info and it's only sheer luck if you stumble across it.

Added to that is timezone issues. Often I cannot catch a flight, so seeing in my subscriptions which ones I've not yet watched makes it easy for me to watch a flight that happened overnight or during the day while working.

As for the NSF streams, I personally do not like them, as the endless chatter is off putting for me. I just want mission control audio. To be honest, I found the SpaceX stream frustrating for the same reason. Felt like watching a morning show program. The continual stating of the bloody obvious, repeating what the mission control audio said, over explaining what is happening, so annoying. In my mind, the commentators appear to be trained to fill silence.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Nomadd

• Solomon Islands
  • Liked: 60356
  • Likes Given: 1292
« Reply #51 on: 09/04/2023 11:00 pm »
 Twitter still refuses to restore my account, even after I fixed the wiring in the owner's garage for free, so I guess I'll stick with NSF's videos.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 11:00 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Exastro

• USA
  • Liked: 138
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #52 on: 09/05/2023 04:21 am »
The biggest problem for me is that I subscribed to the SpaceX Youtube channel and could easily see when a launch was up and coming. With Twitter it feels like I have to search and scan for info and it's only sheer luck if you stumble across it.

Added to that is timezone issues. Often I cannot catch a flight, so seeing in my subscriptions which ones I've not yet watched makes it easy for me to watch a flight that happened overnight or during the day while working.
You may find Next Spaceflight useful.  It lists upcoming launches (not just SpaceX) in local times, and provide links to livestreams.  There's also a list of recent launches and other info.

Offline Metalskin

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 1573
« Reply #53 on: 09/05/2023 07:39 am »
You may find Next Spaceflight useful.  It lists upcoming launches (not just SpaceX) in local times, and provide links to livestreams.  There's also a list of recent launches and other info.

Yep, thanks for the heads-up, but I already have it installed. I just find it incredibly slow, maybe they've improved it lately. The main issue for me is knowing what I've missed and being able to easily watch it.
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7759
  • Likes Given: 7279
« Reply #54 on: 09/05/2023 08:58 am »

Yep, thanks for the heads-up, but I already have it installed. I just find it incredibly slow, maybe they've improved it lately. The main issue for me is knowing what I've missed and being able to easily watch it.

Don't feel alone; a lot of us are in the same boat. Keep tuned, we'll come up with a better method. There are a lot of great minds here in the forum.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline DetailCurious

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #55 on: 09/05/2023 08:59 am »
No need for the app.

You can subscribe to a calendar that Thunderbird (Outlook, Google, icloud, Android Calendar, etc) can read (and automagically sync).

Calendar items include date/time, location, and a link to the website for details.

It's not prominent on the website; there's a link in the website's footer.

Direct link to instructions: https://nextspaceflight.com/calendar/

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #56 on: 09/05/2023 07:04 pm »
That the "Tweets from @NASASpaceflight" box has been permanently stuck on some old tweets has been annoying, but my TV doesn't even have a U+1D54F app to watch launches on a big screen (assuming I had a U+1D54F account).

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2367
  • Likes Given: 10124
« Reply #57 on: 09/05/2023 07:30 pm »
I was under the impression that SpaceX has to pay for YouTube hosting.  And then you have to turn on ads in order for YouTube to provide reach (that's probably why SpaceX has turned them on, not because they expect to make any money off the ads).  Also, I have been having trouble finding the official SpaceX stream rather than the knock-offs.

YouTube is a great service, but it's not perfect.  I know that for many years, Tesla has often tried to use non-YouTube services for its livestreams.  It would not surprise me to learn that Musk was pushing those efforts.

I will watch the official stream wherever it is shown.  It would be nice to have a 4K stream that I can watch on my smart TV.  My expectation is that for the big upcoming launches, they will be simulcast on YouTube.

It should be noted that Twitter's video and streaming is under very active development.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Twitter have feature parity with YouTube in a half year or so.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:41 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7290
  • Likes Given: 70065
Moderator:
I edited the thread title to explicitly state that discussing this action's effect on NSF content is on-topic.

Also, I performed a slight thread trim of posts that veered into general complaints about Elon Musk and general policy changes at X, firings 🔥, etc.

I also created a splinter thread here: Comments on NSF video content commentary.  Please continue such discussion there.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2023 12:49 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80116
  • Likes Given: 36283
https://twitter.com/robotbeat/status/1699234289349484937

This video has much sharper quality than normal that I've noticed for Twitter videos.

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1699229958064005624

I know the SpaceX tweet is not a stream, but can anyone establish what resolution the drone video is at? Wouldn’t surprise me if Elon made sure SpaceX could use beta features not yet generally available.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography