Author Topic: SpaceX stops using YouTube; new content X only; effect on NSF content?  (Read 45610 times)

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4139
  • Likes Given: 1664
Re: SpaceX stops using YouTube, now X only
« Reply #20 on: 09/04/2023 02:49 am »
Donít know what this means for Mission Control audio :(
This whole thing feels like an elon idea that the spacex team let slip by into the real world . . .
Why should SpaceX care? it only affects the real fanatics (like us), and we will work around the problem. Nobody else cares, so there is not effect on the bottom line.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:35 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline chopsticks

• Quťbec, Canada
  • Liked: 1074
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #21 on: 09/04/2023 02:51 am »

So much unfortunate complaining.  X is a perfectly decent platform, and of course SpaceX would go to it preferentially.  Looking forward to the Starlink launch shortly.

I get annoyed at the YT ads that pop up right at staging when watching replays, but not going to vent about it.

The NSF feed can be, well, a bit tiresome with the extraneous dialog.  But I get why it's there, and not going to vent about it, either.

Every source has a role to play.

No. It's not unfortunate complaining. It's very well warranted complaining because X is exclusive (have to have an account to use it) and the video quality is terrible. YouTube has its own issues as well, but at least it works okay.

Offline chopsticks

• Quťbec, Canada
  • Liked: 1074
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #22 on: 09/04/2023 02:52 am »
This whole thing feels like an elon idea that the spacex team let slip by into the real world . . .
Why should SpaceX care? it only affects the real fanatics (like us), and we will work around the problem. Nobody else cares, so there is not effect on the bottom line.
Only a few million care. Look at how many views some of the popular launches have gotten on YT.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:36 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Torlek

• Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: 09/04/2023 02:58 am »
It's going to be funny if this causes !twitter's video servers to melt down and Elon throws another tantrum over it.

Offline daveglo

• "a big enough engine, even a water tower can fly"
  • St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Liked: 644
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #24 on: 09/04/2023 03:05 am »

No. It's not unfortunate complaining. It's very well warranted complaining because X is exclusive (have to have an account to use it) and the video quality is terrible. YouTube has its own issues as well, but at least it works okay.

Ahem.  Making an X account is not a challenge.  The video quality is not 4K (yet), but hardly terrible.

The Starlink launch just broadcast on X was watched live by about 9K users, and the replay already has 157K impressions.

EDIT: Now showing over 60K viewers.

I think some patience is called for, instead of a lot of handwaving.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 03:07 am by daveglo »

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31597
  • Likes Given: 7638
« Reply #25 on: 09/04/2023 03:37 am »
In the past I've watched the NSF livestream only until the SpaceX livestream would go live. (Among other things, this system is an underpowered Windows 10 virtual machine running on a Windows 7 host, so too many livestreams drags it down, even at 480p.)

I suggest using the MyPal browser for Windows 7 (works great with Windows XP as well) to view Twitter and other sites.

http://www.mypal-browser.org/

What I miss now that videos are on Twitter.

1) No countdown to when the video will start.
2) No separate mission control audio.
3) Poor video quality for some users.
4) Live pause and play not available.

What SpaceX could do is combine the previous mission control audio and hosted streams into one. The stream starts at about T-45 minutes with mission control audio and the launch animation. At T-5 minutes or earlier the hosted or non-hosted stream starts. For hosted streams, continue until the end. For non-hosted Starlink streams continue until the end of the second stage burn or shortly after. Then switch back to the animation and mission control audio until payload separation.

I found it amusing that you could adjust the play speed for a livestream! Much more useful would be to replace that with an adjustable video resolution.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 03:56 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Step55

• Structural Technician
  • RSA
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #26 on: 09/04/2023 05:21 am »
Who still uses Windows 7 and XP?

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 504
« Reply #27 on: 09/04/2023 05:36 am »
Only a few million care. Look at how many views some of the popular launches have gotten on YT.

Whatís the problem with creating an X account? Itís free.

As for the quality issue - thatís just a matter of time. 4k and a Smart TV app are obvious next steps for X.

I donít get the big deal. Unless oneís objection is ideologically driven, in which case thatís a self imposed constraint.

As for the potential business impact - pretty much zero. SpaceX makes no money from its launch broadcasts. Itís mostly for fanatics like us, who will watch it wherever we can get access to it.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:36 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7789
  • Likes Given: 7287
« Reply #28 on: 09/04/2023 05:49 am »

As for the potential business impact - pretty much zero. SpaceX makes no money from its launch broadcasts. Itís mostly for fanatics like us, who will watch it wherever we can get access to it.

Isn't Google making money on ads that interfere with the YT viewing that Elon is not getting any of?
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:37 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline M.E.T.

« Reply #29 on: 09/04/2023 05:53 am »

Isn't Google making money on ads that interfere with the YT viewing that Elon is not getting any of?

Let me rephrase. The minimal ad revenue involved is not material for SpaceX. And will probably be replicated on X.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:37 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80117
  • Likes Given: 36283
« Reply #30 on: 09/04/2023 06:16 am »
Benji Reed is asked at Crew-6 press conference about why SpaceX has moved off YouTube. He answers heís been focussed on Crew-6 and doesnít know.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7789
  • Likes Given: 7287
« Reply #31 on: 09/04/2023 07:48 am »
Benji Reed is asked at Crew-6 press conference about why SpaceX has moved off YouTube. He answers heís been focussed on Crew-6 and doesnít know.

I just had a discussion with a popular Space Video provider (videos we link to many times) and they are not willing to support or willing to re-broadcast even if it's allowed.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline novo2044

• USA
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #32 on: 09/04/2023 08:53 am »
All this hand wringing over 4k vs 1080p isÖ something.  The general impression Iíve gotten is that Spacex is most indifferent, sometimes mildly annoyed at the ecosystem of social media leeching off their activities.

Offline zack

• Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #33 on: 09/04/2023 09:04 am »
The problems with using Twitter as as a video source are multiple:

- Lower quality, even the bad NASA 720p Youtube stream looked better
- Less accessible, you will get much more eyeballs on videos on Youtube, easier to inspire random viewers
- Search ability for older streams is going to be a pain

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1187
  • Likes Given: 588
« Reply #34 on: 09/04/2023 09:05 am »
...As for the quality issue - thatís just a matter of time...
So maybe do the change when it's THE time. Now stream was dog $hit quality and even Elon Fan Club members like myself should be able to admit it.

Offline novo2044

• USA
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #35 on: 09/04/2023 09:31 am »
...As for the quality issue - thatís just a matter of time...
So maybe do the change when it's THE time. Now stream was dog $hit quality and even Elon Fan Club members like myself should be able to admit it.
I literally didnít notice any difference, though I was watching the Crew6 recovery on my phone. What interesting is that apparently 90% of YouTube viewers use mobile devices in which case 4k doesnít matter much. That statistic shocked me but the more I thought about it the more I realized it reflected my own viewing habits.

As far as reach goes just to pick a recent example, the SDA mission has 9k likes and 163k views on YouTube.  The clip of just the launch has 30k likes and 3.8M views on X.  Obviously they arenít directly comparable but that is an absolutely massive advantage for X.  That doesnít even count another 36k likes and another 4.3M views for the landing.  If you are going to argue YT has better reach I think you are going to need to back it up somehow.

Now search is an issue since advanced search is web only.  Donít know why they donít make it a default option.  Well I do know: features like that get shockingly little usage on mobile.

Overall Iím indifferent to the change. But looking at the numbers Iím a lot less surprised.  YouTube is bigger but Elon has the biggest X account and frequently retweets Spacex which is also very popular, so Spacex clips and posts get massive exposure in general.  Arguably more than on YouTube where Iím constantly blocking low quality SpaceX ďcommentaryĒ and scams that the algorithm seems to love

Online StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4381
  • Likes Given: 2629
« Reply #36 on: 09/04/2023 09:50 am »
Who still uses Windows 7 and XP?
The same people who still browse phpBB forums, probably.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80117
  • Likes Given: 36283
« Reply #37 on: 09/04/2023 10:00 am »
As far as reach goes just to pick a recent example, the SDA mission has 9k likes and 163k views on YouTube.  The clip of just the launch has 30k likes and 3.8M views on X.  Obviously they arenít directly comparable but that is an absolutely massive advantage for X.  That doesnít even count another 36k likes and another 4.3M views for the landing.  If you are going to argue YT has better reach I think you are going to need to back it up somehow.

Views on X of the SDA launch stream are now comparable to YouTube.  (Although I donít know how long you have to watch on either platform to count as a view.)

The tweet containing the stream obviously has a much higher view count.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2023 10:01 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline M.E.T.

« Reply #38 on: 09/04/2023 10:14 am »
I think the relatively small space fan community overestimate their importance in the bigger scheme of things. Elon doesnít lose anything significant from SpaceXís Youtube departure, while he gains a great deal from growing X.

And Elon has 78% control over SpaceX. So thatís pretty much that.

Best option is to get with the program and register those free X accounts. And thereby help to hasten Xís rise to 4k capability and Smart TV accessibility.

Offline Martin_G

• Germany
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #39 on: 09/04/2023 10:28 am »
Would it work if someone with a Twitter account posts the link to the live stream? Videos can be accessed without an account when the direct URL is used, e.g. https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1695158759717474379.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography