Author Topic: Starlink : General Discussion - Thread 3  (Read 339293 times)

Online JayWee

• Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 1803
Re: Starlink : General Discussion - Thread 3
« Reply #1120 on: 11/03/2023 03:06 pm »
I believe that those "BiCMOS9 processes" can be used in the W-band, which might be the reason for Starlink's recent ITU filing for a W-band network.
BiCMOS9 is a Silicon-Germanium fabrication process. It covers chips fabbed for use across a very wide range of possible operating frequencies up to around 40GHz. The process alone does not tell you anything useful about chip operating frequency or system output frequency.
From ST's webpage:

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3085
  • Likes Given: 3818
« Reply #1121 on: 11/03/2023 03:11 pm »
Moderator and member:
I am tiring of the posts taking potshots at Elon Musk. 😫  And, to a lesser extent, Jeff Bezos and Tory Bruno.

If it's funny, post in the party thread. 😂

Otherwise, maybe don't post it on this forum at all?  Thumper's father's advice is often best. 🐇

Sorry, I could have been less colorful in my comment.  But Elon's decline is relevant. 

He owns a controlling interest in SpaceX, a DOD service provider, his 'stability' is very important to SpaceX's future.

I want Starship, Starlink, HLS, Mars all to succeed and it's just getting to the point that Starlink could self fund so much of this, it would be shame if it was squandered by one person falling apart.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2384
  • Likes Given: 10156
« Reply #1122 on: 11/03/2023 04:59 pm »
But Elon's decline is relevant.

I would prefer to keep the politics more or less out of the discussion.

Offline thespacecow

• e/acc
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #1123 on: 11/05/2023 04:43 pm »
Sorry, I could have been less colorful in my comment.  But Elon's decline is relevant. 

He owns a controlling interest in SpaceX, a DOD service provider, his 'stability' is very important to SpaceX's future.

I want Starship, Starlink, HLS, Mars all to succeed and it's just getting to the point that Starlink could self fund so much of this, it would be shame if it was squandered by one person falling apart.

There's no sign of his decline, the fact that he just started another company to join the AI race shows he's energetic as ever.

And one can make a reasonable argument that he's more stable today than 2018 when he was tweeting "funding secured", smoking joint on podcast and calling the other guy names.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80382
  • Likes Given: 36361
« Reply #1124 on: 11/06/2023 09:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/bloombergtv/status/1721656003677093895

BREAKING: SpaceX is on track to book revenues of about $9 billion this year across its rocket launch and Starlink businesses, according to people familiar with the matter, with sales projected to rise to around $15 billion in 2024

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-06/spacex-eyes-15-billion-in-sales-next-year-on-starlink-strength

SpaceX Eyes $15 Billion in Sales Next Year on Starlink Strength

Revenue of $9 billion expected from launches, Starlink in 2023
Internal data shows growth of Starlink satellite business

By Edward Ludlow and Gillian Tan
6 November 2023 at 21:39 GMT

SpaceX is on track to book revenues of about $9 billion this year across its rocket launch and Starlink businesses, according to people familiar with the matter, with sales projected to rise to around $15 billion in 2024.

Sales for Starlink, in particular, are expected to outpace and exceed the launch business next year

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1125 on: 11/22/2023 03:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/chenryspace/status/1727355060483719595

Just noticed that @Starlink's logo, at least on X, is the Hohmann Transfer Orbit (Earth to Mars and back). Another reminder that Starlink was always about funding a path to the Red Planet.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1126 on: 12/12/2023 09:07 pm »
Ookla is reporting that Starlink is more than meeting increased demand in the United States, with November median speeds at all-time highs of 79.04 Mbps down.  This is a significant improvement from a trough in July of 62.23 Mbps down.

NB:  The article focuses on Q3, but includes data from the first two months of Q4.  So while the article is a bit downbeat, the recent data is positive.

https://www.ookla.com/articles/us-satellite-performance-q3-2023
« Last Edit: 12/12/2023 09:10 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1127 on: 12/12/2023 09:52 pm »
Oral arguments yesterday in International Dark-Sky Association v. FCC challenging the FCC's Starlink Gen2 license.  The case is in the DC Circuit.

Audio of the argument (file perhaps too big to attach)

BloombergLaw's analysis: D.C. Circuit Skeptical of Suit Over SpaceX Satellite License (partially behind a paywall)

CourtListener's docket of the case
« Last Edit: 12/12/2023 10:02 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
« Reply #1128 on: 12/12/2023 10:04 pm »
Oral arguments yesterday in International Dark-Sky Association v. FCC challenging the FCC's Starlink Gen2 license.  The case is in the DC Circuit.
<snip>

What is the positions of the other LEO comsat constellations in regard to this legal case?

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1129 on: 12/12/2023 10:29 pm »
<snip>

What is the positions of the other LEO comsat constellations in regard to this legal case?

Only the IDSA, Dish, the FCC, SpaceX, and TechFreedom filed briefs.  I don't know what kind of organization TechFreedom is, but they filed a brief arguing that NEPA does not apply to outer space.

https://techfreedom.org/nepa-doesnt-apply-in-outer-space-argues-techfreedom-amicus-brief/
« Last Edit: 12/12/2023 10:44 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2339
  • Likes Given: 2054
« Reply #1130 on: 12/13/2023 02:50 pm »
I remember once saying that external customers come first before internal missions.

Starlink is not high priority.
External customer launches help pay the bills today while return on Starlink launch will take years to recover.

Can you further explain your statement? I donít get the financial aspect of this.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 859
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #1131 on: 12/13/2023 02:56 pm »
I remember once saying that external customers come first before internal missions.

External customer launches help pay the bills today while return on Starlink launch will take years to recover.

Can you further explain your statement? I donít get the financial aspect of this.

When you launch for an external customer you get paid immediately, when you launch Starlink, you are making a long term investment which will generate money at some point in the future. (How Starlink pays SpaceX is an internal accounting game)

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4196
  • Likes Given: 1694
« Reply #1132 on: 12/13/2023 03:18 pm »

When you launch for an external customer you get paid immediately, when you launch Starlink, you are making a long term investment which will generate money at some point in the future. (How Starlink pays SpaceX is an internal accounting game)
It's a bit more nuanced than this. Since SpaceX has an open-ended pipeline of Starlink launches, deferring a Starlink launch will cost only few days at most and has no impact on revenue either now or in the future. It does not affect the schedule of subsequent launches. This remains true up until they fill literally all launch slots in the year, and they are not yet at that point. This is SpaceX' fundamental business advantage: a high-demand low-priority customer.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1133 on: 12/13/2023 03:22 pm »

To be clear, you get paid a portion immediately on signing of a launch contract.  So the cash flow difference between a Starlink launch and Kuiper launch can be quite large.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4196
  • Likes Given: 1694
« Reply #1134 on: 12/13/2023 03:50 pm »

To be clear, you get paid a portion immediately on signing of a launch contract.  So the cash flow difference between a Starlink launch and Kuiper launch can be quite large.
I speculate cash flow is not a problem for SpaceX.

Almost all companies with revenue more than about $2 Million/yr use accrual accounting, not cash accounting. You do not recognize the revenue until you perform the service.  An up-front payment is booked as a liability because you might need to refund it.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1135 on: 12/19/2023 05:37 pm »
https://twitter.com/depsecgraves/status/1737135473447829680

Yesterday, I met with @SpaceX President @Gwynne_Shotwell to discuss satellite broadband connectivity and space mission authorization.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1136 on: 12/22/2023 06:08 am »
https://twitter.com/starlink/status/1738025258089935219

Starlink is connecting more than 2.3M people in over 70 countries, and in many more markets, all around the world 🛰️🌎❤️

Here are just a few of their stories → https://stories.starlink.com/

Offline gin455res

• bristol, uk
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #1137 on: 12/22/2023 08:56 am »
What could spaceX and starlink do to encourage (over decadal timescales probably) off-grid semi-rural living across the world to expand its potential market for low-density population broadband?

I'm thinking along the lines of a) politically - pushing back against massive farm land acquisitions by the likes of Gates, the proposed compulsory purchase of smaller farms in Holland, and favouring decentralisation, affordable small holdings and micro-farming; b) logistically - encouraging fractal-semi-colonisation of earth's wildernesses as a romantic analogy to colonising Mars, atmospheric water harvesting, electro-chemical ammonia production (possibly a future earth based rocket fuel to pivot to when the emissions from Starship start to explode and Musk hating environmentalists start complaining about the industry's carbon footprint), investing in (FSD?) hybrid electric STOL and hybrid airships that can decouple expansion from the edges of road and rail networks, allowing the building of cheap small runways/airports to seed new centres of settlement; c) philosophically/economically Championing de-urbanisation/fractal-urbanisation in a world of increasing robot factories (factories being the main driver of city expansion during the industrial revolution) and remote working;...

The more de-urbanisation and techno-ruralism the larger the market for starlink?

Offline chuck99z28

• USA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1138 on: 12/22/2023 07:47 pm »
Big farming, while an issue doesn't have anything to do with off-grid semi-rural living.  Starlink fills that gap now.  You can be micro-farming now even if you're not rural.  People don't all garden and microfarm because its dang hard work for relatively little income and pretty inconsistent due to winter weather.

Starlink does open up rural living.  You can buy a place in the middle of nowhere and work from home with Starlink.  When you live rural you have to remember there are no clubs and entertainment.  And not a lot of jobs, definitely not at the income level of city jobs.  Unless you bring your job with you and work from home.

But its up now.  You can buy a terminal today.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1139 on: 12/24/2023 07:49 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXLounge/s/O4N4fyVtDJ

A rare top view of the Starlink V2 mini stack, photo found on https://direct.starlink.com/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography