Author Topic: Starlink : General Discussion - Thread 2  (Read 1281439 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11087
Re: Starlink : General Discussion - Thread 2
« Reply #1060 on: 01/21/2020 11:16 pm »
This is propaganda (it's from a cellphone association) and it's from 2012. But it makes thirtyone's point nicely.

https://www.gsma.com/publicpolicy/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/gsma-deloitte-impact-mobile-telephony-economic-growth.pdf

I used the search phrase "economic impact of mobile phones on developing countries" ... LOTS of hits. Spot checked, they are saying the same thing. A bit of internet goes a LONG way to making life better if you live on 1.50 a day.

c.f. this is why One Laptop Per Child got started (and blown past, overcome by events) and it's why there was an effort to put all of Wikipedia on a CD....

Our tweeter Victor C. didn't do their research.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2020 11:19 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3122
  • Likes Given: 3879
« Reply #1061 on: 01/22/2020 12:16 am »
Here we go. Astronomers doing economic analysis of Starlink assuming it will be sold worldwide for $60 USD.

https://twitter.com/chmn_victor/status/1218847154833412096

I think this contributes to the discussion and does prompt a discussion on pricing in different markets.

Affordable internet is going to be revolution, we will see how far Starlink goes and how many users and billions it generates in a few years.

It’s possible that like other EM products he offers service cheaply with not much profit, like other EM products.

I’m not suggesting these numbers are accurate, likely too high and too low, but Would SpaceX/EM prefer $100 a month from 2 million customers or $10 a month from 20 million customers? 
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5 (Welp a little early on IFT-4, but still have a shot at 5)

Offline RocketGoBoom

• Idaho
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #1062 on: 01/22/2020 12:19 am »
I have been looking for companies that might be suppliers for SpaceX in the Starlink system. Since it is almost impossible to invest in SpaceX stock directly, I figure the best alternative is the suppliers that might provide equipment.

Gilat Satellite Networks seems like a probable supplier. Symbol is GILT on NASDAQ. They make much of the network gear needed on the ground, on planes or on ships to communicate with satellites. They also have products that they are testing with LEO sats.

Just an idea. I am interested if you guys know of other possible ways to indirectly invest in Starlink, OneWeb, etc Thanks

Update:

It looks like Gilat Satellite Networks is being bought out by a larger player.
Also, it was discussed on past conference calls that SpaceX is testing Gilat Satellite Networks equipment for use with Starlink.

I am hoping that the buyout does not happen. Gilat has a long way it could run as a stock if it stays out there and grows more in this market.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3532862-gilat-satellite-in-talks-to-be-acquired-25-premium

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/business/.premium-satellite-gear-maker-gilat-said-to-be-close-to-being-sold-to-overseas-buyer-for-580-1.8414249

Disclosure: I purchased shares in GILT back then when this was first brought up.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13938
  • Likes Given: 5969
« Reply #1063 on: 01/22/2020 12:55 am »
There are a few new threads for Starlink that should help break up the discussion into smaller chunks.  While the overall amount of traffic in this thread is manageable, it can be nearly impossible to find the relevant prior discussion when a subject arises.  I may still add one or two more threads.  The new threads so far are:

Starlink : On Orbit Satellite Tracking / Maneuvers
Starlink : Hardware Design / Manufacturing
Starlink : Markets and Marketing

All of these links can be found in the Starlink Index Thread, which is now pinned at the top of the SpaceX General Section.

Offline gaballard

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 1499
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #1064 on: 01/22/2020 06:06 am »
Is it maybe time for a dedicated Starlink forum?
"I venture the challenging statement that if American democracy ceases to move forward as a living force, seeking day and night by peaceful means to better the lot of our citizens, fascism will grow in strength in our land." — FDR

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2521
  • Likes Given: 2219
« Reply #1065 on: 01/22/2020 01:15 pm »
Though I am sure SpaceX has run the trades, I wonder how many sats they could launch and still return the booster to land? Fairing recovery would remain problematic.

Launch hardware and finished sats waiting around and/or piling up while waiting for weather has the potential to frustrate ambitions for two-a-week launch cadence. Sometimes slips will result in having to wait around for business at other pads to clear out, further stymying Starlink launches.

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #1066 on: 01/22/2020 01:48 pm »
Though I am sure SpaceX has run the trades, I wonder how many sats they could launch and still return the booster to land? Fairing recovery would remain problematic.

Launch hardware and finished sats waiting around and/or piling up while waiting for weather has the potential to frustrate ambitions for two-a-week launch cadence. Sometimes slips will result in having to wait around for business at other pads to clear out, further stymying Starlink launches.

They have shown they can launch from two pads within hours and have two droneships in the Atlantic, so I wouldn't be too worried. They also have enough cores that two prepared Starlink missions at any time are not holding up business elsewhere.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline Eka

• Land between two rivers.
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #1067 on: 01/22/2020 01:58 pm »

Consider this, by this time next year they will all be Starship launches with over 5X the satellites per launch. So they miss a few F9 launches this year due to bad weather. They will be back on track waiting for the factory to produce more Starlink satellites as soon as they do their first or second Starship orbital launch. I expect they have plans to increase the production rate.

This too:
They have shown they can launch from two pads within hours and have two droneships in the Atlantic, so I wouldn't be too worried. They also have enough cores that two prepared Starlink missions at any time are not holding up business elsewhere.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1068 on: 01/22/2020 02:30 pm »

Consider this, by this time next year they will all be Starship launches with over 5X the satellites per launch. So they miss a few F9 launches this year due to bad weather. They will be back on track waiting for the factory to produce more Starlink satellites as soon as they do their first or second Starship orbital launch. I expect they have plans to increase the production rate.

This too:

I think that is an over optimistic timescale for Starship.

Offline intelati

« Reply #1069 on: 01/22/2020 02:35 pm »
Is it maybe time for a dedicated Starlink forum?

I think with gongora's addition the time is near.
Starships are meant to fly

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #1070 on: 01/24/2020 05:32 pm »
Can Space Traffic Control Handle The Volume Of Private Launches?

January 23, 20205:02 AM ET

https://twitter.com/larrypress/status/1220766599424004096

Offline Hummy

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #1071 on: 01/25/2020 05:33 pm »
Jonathan McDowell on darkened satellites in the next batch: "My sense from talking with them at AAS was that we don't expect more experimental ones in the near term. The plan is to do measurements on this one to improve their reflectivity models and then do engineering on the ground for a bit - changes won't make it into future sats for some months, next few batches will be unchanged."

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1220743083672985602

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #1072 on: 01/25/2020 08:13 pm »
Air Force test of an AC-130 connected to Starlink constellation successful

The Air Force tested its Advanced Battle Management System. Here’s what worked, and what didn’t.

By: Valerie Insinna    3 days ago

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/01/22/the-us-air-force-tested-its-advanced-battle-management-system-heres-what-worked-and-what-didnt/?utm_source=clavis

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 432
  • Likes Given: 137
« Reply #1073 on: 01/27/2020 03:42 pm »
Two starlink launches in Feb with starlinkV1.0-L3 on 28th Jan from SLC-40 and then March 1st SLC-40 launch of CRS-20  (4 launches in 34 days) is looking to be getting rather tight / weather likely makes impossible. Will they use LC-39A to launch a starlink mission or two?

If they are aiming for 3 per month then weather restricting them to just 1 in February seems on the disappointing side. Maybe 5th on March 1st is fairer presentation of this and doesn't sound so bad.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13938
  • Likes Given: 5969
« Reply #1074 on: 01/27/2020 04:13 pm »
The last FCC permit they filed for a Starlink launch said it would go from either LC-39A or SLC-40, so it seems they'll start using both now.  There's nothing really special flying from 39A now until the DM-2 flight.  Four launches in five weeks should be possible, the bad weather won't last forever.

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #1075 on: 02/01/2020 11:36 am »
A question: why isn't SpaceX using F9H to lunch starlink? it should be cheaper no?
Is it a matter of production bottlenecks in the amount of satellites manufactured, is it a matter of volume in the fairing (already maximised in a F9)  or are there other issues?

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #1076 on: 02/01/2020 11:51 am »
The fairing is the limiting factor and both use the same fairing.

A question: why isn't SpaceX using F9H to lunch starlink? it should be cheaper no?
Is it a matter of production bottlenecks in the amount of satellites manufactured, is it a matter of volume in the fairing (already maximised in a F9)  or are there other issues?

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2429
  • Likes Given: 10302
« Reply #1077 on: 02/05/2020 05:33 pm »
Apologies if this has already been posted, but on January 16, SpaceX met with the FCC regarding the draft rule for the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund.  I vaguely remember SpaceX saying that they were not interested in this, but maybe they would be if the final rule is positive for megaconstellations.

Some $20 billion over ten years is at stake.

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1012068447797/Rural%20Broadband%20Fund%20Ex%20Parte.pdf

Offline OTV Booster

• Terra is my nation; currently Kansas
  • Liked: 3568
  • Likes Given: 6032
« Reply #1078 on: 02/05/2020 07:09 pm »
Apologies if this has already been posted, but on January 16, SpaceX met with the FCC regarding the draft rule for the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund.  I vaguely remember SpaceX saying that they were not interested in this, but maybe they would be if the final rule is positive for megaconstellations.

Some $20 billion over ten years is at stake.

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1012068447797/Rural%20Broadband%20Fund%20Ex%20Parte.pdf

Wow, they could design and mostly build a big rocket with that coin and timeline ;D
We are on the cusp of revolutionary access to space. One hallmark of a revolution is that there is a disjuncture through which projections do not work. The thread must be picked up anew and the tapestry of history woven with a fresh pattern.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82195
  • Likes Given: 37085
« Reply #1079 on: 02/06/2020 05:02 pm »
Musk’s SpaceX Plans a Spinoff, IPO for Starlink Business
By Ashlee Vance  and Dana Hull
6 February 2020, 17:19 GMT
Updated on  6 February 2020, 17:48 GMT

Company to provide high-speed internet globally via satellite
 Service will cost less for much faster speed, Shotwell says

Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. plans to spin out its budding space internet system Starlink and pursue an initial public offering.

SpaceX has already launched more than 240 satellites to build out Starlink, which will start delivering internet services to customers from space this summer, President Gwynne Shotwell said Thursday at a private investor event hosted by JPMorgan Chase & Co. in Miami.

“Right now, we are a private company, but Starlink is the right kind of business that we can go ahead and take public,” said Shotwell, SpaceX’s chief operating officer. “That particular piece is an element of the business that we are likely to spin out and go public.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-06/spacex-likely-to-spin-off-starlink-business-and-pursue-an-ipo

Tags: pole flip 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography